Racing Seat Reviews - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
miniboon
Dehawkified

Fan#: 35233
What I Drive: 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS

FF Reputation: 42 miniboon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Racing Seat Reviews

I'm looking to step up my drivers seat from the stock SVT seat to something a little more supportive. Someone near me is selling a Sparco Fighter seat, and the price is reasonable compared to the retail price. Any reviews of these seats? Does anyone have them? Has anyone had them and hated them? If you have a particular seat that you love, let me know!! I'm open to any seat suggestions, but please give me reasons, don't just say "such and such sucks" and not tell me why it sucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It's really not an easy question to answer.

A lot goes into the decision beyond price and "support".

I personally like SPARCO and KIRKEY (their new road race edition is pretty sweet).

That said, before you make a decision, you should really sit in one that is mounted first.

What you should really ask yourself is why do I need it? Are you an AX driver that could benefit from more support? Do you go to track events where the seat can hold you better in the harnesses? Is it for the cool factor?

Some seats have a lot of lateral support, but are extremely narrow. If you are of small to medium build, that may not be an issue for you. However, if you are a little "wide of carriage", then it may feel pretty good for the first 5 minutes you sit in it, but do you want to be stuck in traffic?

If it is for the cool factor, then you will want adjustability. Most race seats don't offer that. They are designed to be in the same position all the time. Is someone else going to drive the car? If so, will they be able to reach the pedals and controls given a static seating position.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but those are some questions to think about...

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 05-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Memberb16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Sparco and Recaro are some of the best you can buy. Momo is as well. But theres cheaper seats out there that do a really good job. If you can buy a real Sparco thats relatively cheap, go for it.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
miniboon
Dehawkified

WeeAsp, I'm starting to AX, and my SVT seat with the 3 point harness left me bracing against the side of the car with my knees, and working hard to stay in the seat.....hence the need for support. All of your advice is exactly what I needed. Thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
I feel your pain.

You may also want to contact the folks at OG Racing for their opinions on seats. Bounce off of them the one you are looking at and get their opinion. I say this because it may be discontinued or for advice on how to mount the seats.

Ask for Brian Hair or Matthew Yip. Tell them Tom Newman referred you.

Good luck.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 05-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
miniboon
Dehawkified

I know you say your SVT is stock, but have you upgraded your seats at all? If not, how do you deal with it?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

The car is basically stock. Only mods are K&N filter unit and a Clutchmaster Stage 3 clutch. All allowable in GS.

As for the seat question.

A lot of it is seating position. For me, the stock seats are great for most applications, but on courses where I am really busy in the cockpit, I do slide a bit, but not much.

I've always been taught that your seat should be close enough to the wheel where when you sit you can extend your arms to the point where they are slightly bent with your wrists (base of your hand) resting on top of the steering wheel.

Legs should be close enough where your knees are slightly bent, but not touching the bottom of the dash.

Seat back angle should only be enough to take the stress off of your shoulders.

That's the position that I use and it seems to work well. I am less fatigued during regular driving and in AX. The side bolsters on the stock seats seem to hold pretty well using this.

Good luck!

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 05-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
SVTFOOCUS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39017
What I Drive: TurboL'd 03 SVT FOCUS ZX5

FF Reputation: 4 SVTFOOCUS Good Standing Member
Theres a company named "Hunsaker" that makes mostly off-road stuff I think but they do have a pair of street/car seats. There pretty nice one's, and have holes to accomidate a 5 point harness. There look pretty good on the supportive sides also, they are adjustable. They come in pairs, and are somewhere around 400.00, and they come with universal brackets. Anyway, just another option for you.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #9
eventerke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41299
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 eventerke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniboon View Post
WeeAsp, I'm starting to AX, and my SVT seat with the 3 point harness left me bracing against the side of the car with my knees, and working hard to stay in the seat.....hence the need for support. All of your advice is exactly what I needed. Thanks
Look into a Schroth harness - I picked up one from a local club member for only $80, but they're only $160 or thereabouts new. The Rallye 4 I know fits, and once adjusted it holds you in place like you would not believe.
Soloracer.com and saferacer.com both list them.
I'll get pics of mine in my car and show you how it is mounted.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:17 AM   #10
PapoSwing
Regulator...mount up

Fan#: 3062
What I Drive: 03 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 28 PapoSwing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
any idea on weight specs?

Bookmarks & Social Networks