Ignition Cylinder replacement. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
Ignition Cylinder replacement.

I wanted to post this up because of the amount of members that are contacting me about the replaceing of their ignition cylinder"s. Theres several threads on this and some of these contain what i was charging for building you and sending the new ones out. Ford had a big price increase on the kits and in turn made mine go up. Im still a ton cheaper than your dealership will be. If you need the new one, i will still build it to match your existing key and ship it to you for $80 with a "plain" key or $90 with a spare PATs key if you want one. The reason i cut a key either way is to assure that your key code from ford works, so either way you will get a key, just a matter of if you want a spare "chip" key. if you have two existing keys, you can program a third yourself, but if you only have one, the spare i send you will be cut, but will need to be programmed by your dealer or a locksmith that has the computer to do so. The new kit from Ford is a Motorcraft SW-6285 and retails for $130 now unbuilt and without a key of any kind. If you need a new one from yours locking up on you, you can contact me at 800-849-0233 and ask for Mike in parts. Heres pics of the old style and the new style cylinders in case you dont know if you have the old one:
This is the new one:

This is the old one:

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
02ZX3inPA
Wrenchin' aussie pos

Fan#: 45346
What I Drive: The Blue Devil

FF Reputation: 40 02ZX3inPA Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
-bump-
(Mike is teh man!)
ZC #154..Focus Nation..
Old 05-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Thanks Mike for this.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
shack
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26016
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 shack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Another satified customer here. Called Mike midday on Tuesday and the built IC and PATs key was waiting on me when I got home Wed. evening. 15 minutes later the new cylinder was installed (did not have to drill) and the new key programmed. All is now good. THANK YOU MIKE!
Old 08-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
j-zetec_pr
MACHINERY TECHNIAN

Fan#: 47101
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3 Kona, MTX-75, Zetec

FF Reputation: 27 j-zetec_pr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i didn't know there was a new style. i saw this a few hours too late and my fofo is already at the dealership, but now i'll make sure they install the newer style, since this focus has gone through 2 of the older styles.. good looking out, mike
Old 08-30-2007, 02:47 AM   #6
BBCAM/focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49455
What I Drive: 00 focus/ 98 ZX2

FF Reputation: 1 BBCAM/focus Good Standing Member
Im just wondering if my 2000 focus could have this problem ...
The key is stuck in the ignition (wont pull out) but will start the car and go to the off position ..
another thing I noted is the shifter will move anytime
Don't these cars have an interlock ?
could I have two issues ?,
the car has been in a minor accident (rear quarter/ door) but I don't think it should have affected the ignition ?
what parts do you recomend to repair this condition as I would be able to do it myself
Im a GM / ASE cert tech so I have done this sort of thing before just not many ford products any information would be appreciated..
Thanks, jason
Old 08-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
Steps123
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 310
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Steps123 Good Standing Member
New Ignition Lock

Mike thanks for the new lock and keying the pats key with my key code. One day a few weeks ago, I put my key in the lock of my 2003 zx5 and the key wouldn't turn and the steerring wheel was locked. Out of frustration, I punched the key and the darn car started. I thought I found g_d. Nevertheless I did the swap of the new lock and it took 15 minutes. I followed the directions from this site and it was quite easy. My only advice is the secong you realize you need to do get a new lock, never take the old key out of the lock. I was able to lock the doors with the key in the ignition. If you take the key out and can't get it back in or if the lock won't move so you can turn the key to acc in order to get the lock out you made the job 100 times harder.
Thanks again Mike,

ALAN
Old 09-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
houlis
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49396
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 houlis Good Standing Member
Ordered kit from Mike at Hilbish Ford on Tuesday morning and had it installed (use short side of an allen key to depress the button on the old cylinder) and new key programmed in 20 minutes on Friday. Car (2000 ZX3) is for my son away at college so I'm trying to eliminate as many potential problems as I can. Excellent prompt service from Mike. Brian
Old 02-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
pksdabombdj
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 39403
What I Drive: 2003 white ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 pksdabombdj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just did the switch today. It works.
still need to gets the new PATS key programmed, eventually.
Thanks Mike!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
FOCUS ZTS
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5840
What I Drive: Burned 300hp Turboed black 00 ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 FOCUS ZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Ya my shop drilled the old one out and put in the new one in.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->