DSI failure - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #1
SVTthis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32774
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SVTthis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
DSI failure

My dual stage manifold isnt flipping at 6K rpm,s. The clip is intact so it must be whatever runs it. I noticed that my lower cable coming off the throttle body pulley has an inch of play in it. Is this normal? or is this why the DSI is failing? What does this lower cable do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
The lower cable is the cruise control I believe. So no, not that. If the clip is intact then it's something electronically not switching over.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #3
SVTthis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32774
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SVTthis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
oh great, just what i need.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33656
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 7 ProSilverVT02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am currently dealing with a similar problem. I have thrown a P1518 - IMRC Stuck Open trouble code. First thing I checked was the clip, everything was fine. Then I had a friend rev passed 6000 RPMs and the cable moved. So I went through and cleared the code. No problem. Two days later the check engine light comes on again. Same code. Check the clip, fine. Rev passed 6K RPMs cable moves.

One thing that I have done recently is replace the battery, is it possible that I routed the cable wrong? I checked and it seems to have enough play to not get hung up anywhere. Should I take the battery back out and try a different location for the cable?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
..:: sleestak ::..
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
This is a very common problem with the SVT...search a little on it and you will find plenty of posts. But I dont wanna be a "use the search button" nazi, so I will enlighten you :)

The problem you are both having is most likely a broken DSI clip or post. Its easier to see if you pop the intake out, but witha flash light and the right angle you can see it as well.

Look on the drivers side of the intake manifold and you will see something like this (this one is busted)

That clip hooks onto the post on that oval shaped piece of plastic. At the right rpm, the cable moves and thus switches the intake over.

I have a How To posted here on the boards: How To Broken DSI Clip Fix
You can either do that or buy a new one. I believe CFM has a billet one, I would recommend that, but if you dont have the money...my how to will work as well.

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
Old 05-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33656
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 7 ProSilverVT02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSilverVT02 View Post
First thing I checked was the clip, everything was fine. Then I had a friend rev passed 6000 RPMs and the cable moved. So I went through and cleared the code. No problem. Two days later the check engine light comes on again. Same code. Check the clip, fine. Rev passed 6K RPMs cable moves.
First off, thanks for the response. I should have been more specific when I was referring to the "clip". It was the DSI clip that you have pictured. I have already been to the How-To as soon as I found the code. Like I stated, I already checked the clip and everything was good to go. So next I thought it was the actuator, but since the cable moves while revving above 6K, I cancelled that out.

I appreciate the help, and I know it may not look like I've posted much... but I am a Search Button Fanatic. Just thought maybe I have it routed wrong. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
..:: sleestak ::..
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
my bad...guess it would have helped to read more carefully,sorry.

Could there be a short to the motor that moves the cable, or perhaps the motor is crapping out? There have been a few people who had issues with that going bad as well. Maybe yours is on the way out

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues

Bookmarks & Social Networks