Mountaineer Madness - Charge of the Foci Brigade!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mountaineer Madness - Charge of the Foci Brigade!!

Saturday May 5th started out like any other in the Shenandoah Valley. COLD!!!

Over 200 SVT foci, Cobras, Lightnings, a Ford GT, Cobra R, and even one Ferrari 360 Modena came out to play at Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit.

Representatives from Saleen were also on hand to show off their new product line of Mustangs, trucks and even a brand new Parnelli Jones commemorative addition Mustang. Instructors were given the opportunity to take perspective buyers and students for hot laps over the course of the weekend. New owners, who had not yet taken delivery, were invited to drive the cars with an instructor.

It promised to be a full day of fun, excitement and track time for all.

CDSilver5DoorSVT, ME2, TRAINFAN, EGZ, ShelbyGT, WeeAsp and other non "fanatics" members carried the banner on this tight and challenging track. In total, there were 10 foci at the track to show the Cobras how the game is played.

Driver's meeting concluded with introductions and run group assignments.

CD and company were in run group 3 while I was hustling back and forth between the novice run groups, advanced, Saleen and instructor groups.

The morning found the track to be very green and did not warm up very quickly. There were a few off track excursions (mostly by the Saleen drivers - shocker), but none resulted in any damage other than to egos. Many times, I saw the Saleen rep wringing his hands like a father who is watching his child play with a hungry alligator.

We were just getting into the swing of things when a minor disaster occured. Mac Henkel in his Cobra R crested the bridge straight and came down with a resounding *CLANG*. When he crested the hill at the top of the bridge straight, he caught a little air under the front wheels and came down HARD on the K-member. Oil pans don't react kindly to this treatment and the quarter sized hole torn in the pan effectively demonstrated this. Fortunately, he was able to make it back to the paddock area without significantly oiling the track. Good insticts on his part to get the car off of the track surface and save the morning sessions for the rest of us.

Group 3 was up and the fanatics, claws and fangs sharpened for the occasion, jumped out on track. I was with Me2 providing a refresher course on the track line with CDSilver5Door and TRAINFAN running. A few laps in and she was VERY comfortable with the track and was driving extremely well. CD and TRAIN passed us once and we never saw them again. Normally, this is a good thing, but not this time. After 3 laps, CD suffered a mechanical failure and had to call it a day. We are still diagnosing the problem, but melted spark plugs can never be a good sign.

Our novice foci (Ed and Mark) were great students that picked up the track line very quickly with just the right amount of fear and respect for their cars. Mark's supercharged ZTECH was incredibly fast able to pull within 1-2 car lengths of the Cobras on the straights and filling their mirrors in the corners. More than a few times, Ed and Mark were directed to pass as the Cobras just could not handle the tight bits of the track. It didn't take long for the Cobras to become a distant memory as we muscled our way around the track.

Around mid-day, the rain began to fall in spits and sputters. Most people wring their hands at the idea of putting their car on a race track when the rain begins to fall. Not us foci drivers !!! Saddle up Cobras and get out of the way, we're coming through !!!!

Eventually, the skies cleared, but it remained windy and cold. Saturday closed without incident.

Saturday night, EGZ called me after he arrived at the track. Driving up from his house, he was content to break out the camping gear and pitch his tent in the paddock. That's someone who LOVES their track time. After a relatively fitful night of the tent flapping, collapsing and one unconfirmed assault by a WV ground squirrel, EGZ woke up to the rumble of engines as we gathered for day 2 of the event.

Once again, COLD! However, there was more than enough sun to offset the chill. The driver's meeting somewhat set the tone for the remainder of the day. Jeff Lacina (SVTOA Lead Instructor) made it a point to single out the focus as a very capable car on this track and that if we were filling Cobra mirrors, get out of the way !!!

I looked out across the paddock area and I saw a new focus among the pack. What was CDSilver5Door doing in a BLUE focus??? Apparently, a quick trip to his brother's house and some cockamamy story about an all day grocery run got him the keys to another focus for track fun.

Sunday, we spent a good portion of our time together both in car and hanging our in the paddock. I went out with CD and TRAINFAN to show them the "foci line" around the track and we were all giggling like school girls the whole way. The giggling stopped when Me2 passed her husband.

As an impartial observer, I saw nothing...

Lots and lots of track time over the second day. More than I can remember in a very long time. By the time the last group finished, we had all spent about 2+ hours on track. However, the day was not without its share of "oops factors". 2 Saleens went off the track and one Cobra found the business end of a concrete wall late in the afternoon. The driver wasn't injured, but it tore the whole front clip off of the car. It took track personnel about 20 minutes to repair the barrier before we could start up again.

It was a FANTASTIC weekend and hope that more of our fellow fanatics can join us for "Cobra hunts" at Shenandoah next year. The same dates are already reserved.

Also, a big thanks to CD5Silver5Door for bringing me much needed parts to repair my car. In a few short weeks, the #152 "Duct Tape Special" will be back to normal.

Sorry more of you weren't able to make it, but hopefully, we'll see you soon.

Videos and pics to follow as soon as I get them off the camera.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
ineedtafocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 40300
What I Drive: nothing interesting

FF Reputation: 1 ineedtafocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
nice story sounds like it was a hella lot of fun
Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
That was the first time I've had Cobra owners come up to me and comment on how my car was much faster than expected. And to poke around the engine bay looking for the non-existant supercharger. Yea for N/A!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Impaled
Raise the stakes

Fan#: 46117
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 1998 ZX2

FF Reputation: 4 Impaled Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Very nice read WeeAsp, well written sounded like loads of fun. Get pics/vids up!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
OK...

I'm a NOOB when it comes to uploading photos from Photobucket where the image displays on this page.

I have the first batch loaded up and ready, I just can't get them to display here. I can attached the URL, but that seems like it is an extra step.

HELP!

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 05-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Just copy and paste the [img.]imageaddress[/img.] text from photobucket and into here.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
venomfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 907
What I Drive: A fast 2001 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 venomfocus Good Standing Member
that sounded like a great time! damn im jealous.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Apologies for the resolution, but I am just a PC idiot...

Enjoy round 1. FYI, I was not the photographer. More foci pictures to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bridge Straight web.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	11952  

Name:	Cobra&lightning web.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	11953  

Name:	Daytona web.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	11954  

Name:	Farm Use web.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	11955  

Name:	WeeAsp&fiance web.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	11956  

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
Hal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 31209
What I Drive: 2001 Infa-red Street Ediition Sedan

Points 383, Level 7
Points: 383, Level: 7 Points: 383, Level: 7 Points: 383, Level: 7
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Hal Good Standing Member
Here are a few pictures that I took. Sorry I didn't get everyone who was running but I didn't get there till 11:00 on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	egz.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	11957  

Name:	fs.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	11958  

Name:	mfs.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	11959  

Name:	tf.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	11960  

Old 05-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

NO pictures of me?!?!?

LOL

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.