MBCA Summit Point Day - RECAP - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MBCA Summit Point Day - RECAP

Thought you all would like to hear how things went on the Main Circuit at Summit Point.

Over 80 cars of all makes and models showed up on May 21 to tackle the 2 mile 10 turn road course at Summit Point.

Bridgestone was also on hand to introduce their new DOT legal R-compound tire to the participants through ride alongs and instructor drives. They also helped to support tire needs of all the participants relative to tire preparation. They sold one set on site after a ride along and had them mounted on the owner's AMG C32 on the spot. Unfortunately, I didn't get the opportunity for a drive or a ride along, but the reviews of the new tire were very promising. I'm looking forward to hearing more about it as the tire is released to the public later this summer.

The new tire will be a derivative of the old RE71R compound, but updated to accomodate newer sedans and sports cars.

Driver meeting concluded with the Red group already on track. For the first time, we had more instructors on hand than we needed. So, everything went very smoothly until about lap 12...

A race prepared Porsche 944 was flying down the main straight when the hood pins gave way. The hood flew into the windshield and shattered it. Luckily, the driver was able to get the car off track safely. The result was a RED flag and EMS was rolling before I'd taken my hand off the radio.

Fortunately, the driver was not injured. We red flagged the event because the corner workers could not see movement in the car. Better safe than sorry. However, his day was done, but he continued to instruct the rest of the day.

Now that we had that out of our system, we could resume the fun.

We had a lot of novices on hand and everyone drove within their ability, but came away with a new appreciation of their cars and performance driving.

The BLUE (Intermediate) group was arguably the most enjoyable to watch. TRAINFAN in his SVT focus was not intimidated by this horsepower favoring track. He was dicing it up with AMG E55's and Corvette Z06's and keeping pace in the tight sections. The high horsepower would come to bear on the straights, but he was firmly in their backseat through the twisties. Oh, and by the way, he solo'd after his first run with the instructor commenting "Are you sure you've never been here before?!?!?"

Great job in representing the foci nation !!

Also in the Intermediate group was a brand new Porsche GT2 with 30 day tags. The driver commented "I figure this is the best way to break it in properly". A fast lap at Summit Point for a street car is usually in the 1 minute 28 second range. I put a clock on this guy and he was turning 1 minute 26 seconds like clock work. His only real competition was from a fellow instructor in a turboed Porsche 968 that was only a tick or two behind. That driver also happened to be his wife...

A lot of interesting cars were on hand. One was a heavily modified Infiniti G35 Coupe. TWIN turbos with sequential pop off valves made for great music as the car flew down the straight. The other was a 1963 Mercedes Benz 320 E (I think, the badges had been removed). Full roll cage, flame paint job and race decals. Race decals on a 4 door sedan? Why would someone do that? You would if you and your Benz competed in the Panamerica rally. 2000 miles through Mexico and the US. The car didn't win, but it did finish the race ahead of much newer and more technologically advanced machines.

The Corvette Z06 crowd was also on hand to contribute American baritones to the symphony.

Overall, SVT foci included, this had to be one of the fastest track event fields I've seen in a very long time. I've said it before, skill can't be based on the car alone as several Acura Integras and S2000's went head to head with BMW CCA race prepared cars. The race cars went home on trailers and the Acuras drove home.

The only other "incident" came just after lunch in the BLUE group with YELLOW flags being required on turns 5 - 9. It would seem that a wayward band of groundhogs decided to have a late afternoon meal at the track edge. This, according to their custom, was followed by a high stakes game of "chicken" with the cars on track. The corner workers are forbidden to shoot at the pesky varmints while cars are on track (they do things different in WVA), but after a few minutes, the YELLOW flags came down as Punxsutawney Phil and his buddies made their way back into the woods.

All in all, it was a great event and it was awesome to get back to the big track and stretch the SVT foci legs a bit.

Both TRAINFAN and I run stock set ups and it was especially gratifying to be able to carry speeds north of 120 MPH on the straight and then let the big brakes do their job. Both of us got several positive comments about how well the car performed.

Hopefully, in the coming months, more foci will join us at Summit Point and at VIR.

Pictures and Video to follow (TRAINFAN, call tech support if you have to!)

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Awesome story as normal...

The Porsche 968 would be my current car if the financing on older cars didn't suck so very bad. I love the fact that a turboed version was keeping up with a brand new GT2 (umm, I haven't heard of a new GT2, was it a new-to-him GT2 or was it a brand new GT3?) on track, especially as it was obviously in the hands of a seasoned professional. Nobody turns rock-steady fast times in a new GT 911 without serious experience...
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 05-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera26 View Post
Awesome story as normal...

The Porsche 968 would be my current car if the financing on older cars didn't suck so very bad. I love the fact that a turboed version was keeping up with a brand new GT2 (umm, I haven't heard of a new GT2, was it a new-to-him GT2 or was it a brand new GT3?) on track, especially as it was obviously in the hands of a seasoned professional. Nobody turns rock-steady fast times in a new GT 911 without serious experience...
I've always loved the 968. Absolutely beautiful car.

It is a GT2. It is basicaly a Le Mans Racing coupe with tail lights and safety glass. No radio, no AC, all business.

Preview - "The most outrageous member of the Porsche 911 family is about to crack out of a 997 Turbo’s shell. Featuring Carrera GT’s PCCB ceramic composite brakes in standard, and Turbo’s engine boosted to almost 550 bhp, the new street racer will start eating miles in 2007"

Full article and history here -

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche...w-ar10537.html

The driver had A LOT of experience. He requested to move down a group level from RED because it had been over 3 years since he'd driven this track. Furthermore, he wasn't comfortable with the race cars on track. We eventually bumped him up into the RED group because his closure rates were so incredible that we were concerned that someone might panic when he was filling their mirrors.

A friend of mine rode with a T2 prepared Z06 in Red and he told me that 150 yards out of the exit of turn 10 on the main straight he saw the Porsche exiting. The Vette was hammered down at this point and it was all they could do to beat the GT2 into the braking zone. The GT2 slipped in behind them and then passed on the short straight between turns 2 and 3. They absolutely could not keep up.

The cars won't be on sale in the US until November, but the owner couldn't wait (must be nice to have money). So, he picked his up AT THE FACTORY and had it shipped. It is one of the first 10 produced.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 05-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
eventerke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41299
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 eventerke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Must....resist....track....days....need Azenis....

Great write-up!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventerke View Post
Must....resist....track....days....need Azenis....

Great write-up!
Come to the dark side...

June 14-15 Marque Madness at VIR. Fairly close to you...

I can hear it calling....

Full course...instructors available...Hawaiian Tropic Girls will be there...

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Bookmarks & Social Networks