Interesting Rally Story... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2007, 03:28 AM   #1
Timmeh!
aka The Wizard

Fan#: 27514
What I Drive: '91 Miata, '82 Benz 300TD

FF Reputation: 9 Timmeh! Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Talking Interesting Rally Story...

to set the scene, i was at work. taking orders in drive-thru, and taking people's money. when out-of-the-blue, a nice Sonic Blue '05 focus comes rolling up, nice and dirty. i talked to the driver, and his passengers about foci, and having fun getting cars dirty. They said that they were going to go get the car even dirtier, and come back for a picture to prove it. They did, so i took a few cell phone pics. i asked them if they were still gonna be out driving at half past midnight when i got off of work, and they said they would. we arranged to meet in the Wendy's parking lot.

when i did get off work i walked out to be greeted by a very dirty focus parked next to mine. we talked more, and decided to go do a little drifting in a local abandoned parking lot. the video will be up later, but in short, i drifted for a good 45 seconds around the lamppost in the middle of the lot. we decided to go rallying on the dirt roads nearby. i figured that even tho im lowered, what the heck, might as well. we take a few dirt roads, run through some puddles, and are having a great time. one of the crew was in a Jeep, so we decided to take a video of the Jeep just fording through the river. i decided to have some fun with throwing the back end out on the dirt, and really pushing the car to it's limit.

i go to swerve in between two puddles, with the rear tires spinning, and counter steer too early, causing me to go right through the deepest puddle we had seen all night. i got out of the puddle, and shut off my car, since i was worried that the K&N filter on my CAI was wet. it was indeed. but once i shut the car off it didn't seem to want to start. after a few attempts, and some dis/reconnection of CAI tubing, we got my lovely little focus running again. mind you it was throwing steam out the exhaust like none other, but it was running like a champ again. so we decided to head to the local coin-op car wash, and clean up the foci. i have a vid of me drifting, and some pics of me and the car (when it wasn't starting) and of the steam that was getting blasted out.

sounds like water just got in the engine and needed to be rid of, slowly. and with many attempts at starting the car. id there anything i should be worried about? anywho, thats my lovely little story of my night out driving. still some of the most fun i've had in the focus (short of AutoX of course.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sounds like fun. No way I would ever do anything like that (except there is this one gravel road on campus that's nice and wide, PERFECT s-turn on it, I want to take of my front bumper so I can blast through that someday!) but yeah. I think the car's fine, if it's still running you shouldn't worry too much. The steam probably means the water was vaporized before entering the engine.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 05-06-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
Impaled
Raise the stakes

Fan#: 46117
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 1998 ZX2

FF Reputation: 4 Impaled Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Heh you got yourself a hybrid for a few seconds there, running on water lol. You should be fine you're lucky you were probably really close to hydro locking.

Post videos...must have videos.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
APGEcho
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 42523
FF Reputation: 1 APGEcho Good Standing Member
Here are some pics from last night :) I was sitting in the passenger seat of the Blue '05.
His Soggy Foci

Shooting water out his exaust

Big Thumbs up pullin the intake off.

And the sexy blue 05 covered in mud in a parking garage :P

Smiling Foci with a Honda Pwning mustache
Old 05-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
SVTOtter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46753
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT EAP

FF Reputation: 1 SVTOtter Good Standing Member
Hey, those last two are MY soggy Focus. Cite that stuff. :P
Old 05-06-2007, 11:26 PM   #6
Timmeh!
aka The Wizard

vid time.

of my drifting (less exciting on camera than in the car.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDcloyMW9eg

of the jeep running through the same course i did ( i was actually behind the focus that was taking the vid. when the jeep goes through the last big puddle, take a good look, thats the puddle i went through, almost exactly that way as well [i was slightly more to the right])
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwY--6PF4cA

party! and yay! cheesy titles and credits.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:45 AM   #7
PARKINGLOT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31916
What I Drive: 2001 Sangria Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 PARKINGLOT Good Standing Member
water and engines don't mix....I've seen a jeep guy take out his motor ingesting water....

sounds like you had fun though...
SEDAN REVOLUTION #123
95' Grand Cherokee 4x4. Wheeler, Tow Pig, & DD

"It's much more fun to drive a slow car fast, then a fast car slow..."
Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Timmeh!
aka The Wizard

well a little update.
Yesterday, i was driving back from my gf's and i heard BOOM!.
immediately white smoke came pouring out of the engine bay.
i pulled over, to assess the situation.
i was leaking oil.
so i pulled off the freeway, and sat on the side of the off ramp at the davison exit on 96W (mind you i live at 6 and haggerty).
got it towed to a shop by my house.
they went to look at it today, and discovered that the engine block had a hole in it.
Deb was pronounced DOA.
at this time i would like to make a little memorial and ask for us all to join in a moment of silence.

Deb
2002-2007

she was a good car, and served me well for the 2 years i had her.

i'm looking into resurrecting her, except maybe with a 2.5L V6 Contour SVT engine. the old Zetec will have to go, but i'll keep the valve cover, as a momento.

i feel that my rallying choice caused this, and i apologize to my Zetec, for i killed it.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
SVTOtter
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46753
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT EAP

FF Reputation: 1 SVTOtter Good Standing Member
*Sniff* She will be missed.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
APGEcho
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 42523
FF Reputation: 1 APGEcho Good Standing Member
Oh man!!!! Sorry we took ya through those mud puddles man!!! It was running fine afterwards, wonder what happened! Maybe this was a sign from the Foci Gods for you to throw that SVT Contour engine in there!

Bookmarks & Social Networks