Has to do with Wheels, Tires AND Brakes! A problem...please help - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Has to do with Wheels, Tires AND Brakes! A problem...please help

So I FINALLY got my new wheels and tires!!!!!!! Sport Edition F7's with Yokohama AVS ES100 215/45-17 tires on them. I will post pics of them when they are completely on, but this is what happened in the meantime:

I was having no troubles getting the old wheels off and the new wheels on. Got the front left, back left, back right, and finally around to the front right. I was on the LAST LUG on the LAST WHEEL when I had some trouble getting the stock lug nut off. I figured while I was turning the wrench that it must have been threaded on wrong since every single other nut had come off with virtually no problem. I finally got the nut off, got the wheel off, and went to put the new wheel on, and I had jokingly said "If that was the hardest thing about getting my wheels off, dang," ...and about 3 turns in the nut just STOPPED. I knew something was messed up...so I started to try to take the lug nut off and it was REALLY freakin hard to get off. I was already not happy because I knew what was going to happen. Once I got the lug nut off, I looked inside it (and it was HOT), and the first 3 threads were totally basically melted to mush. I was mad...and then I looked at the bolt, and saw that the FIRST 4 THREADS of the lug bolt were NOT EVEN THERE!!! What the hell!? I had just recently had my front sway bar installed by a local shop, so I'm assuming they threaded that bolt on wrong, which then messed it up for me taking it off.

Anyway, I wish I could go back to that shop and tell them to fix the problem for free since they messed it up, but I'm thinking they won't take responsibility for something like that...soooooooo...I'm going to have to do it myself.

I'm writing this thread to ask you guys--how hard is it really to replace a front lug bolt? What is all involved in taking the front rotor off so I can get to the bolt? Any special tools I would need to do it? Is $50 too much to pay for parts and labor at the dealer?

I need help with this ASAP as I need to drive a 3-hour round trip on Sunday (it's Friday evening right now) and I work half the day tomorrow, so please, if you have any advice, etc. I could sure use it right now. Thanks a lot y'all.

Jeff

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

I'm sorry, I know I posted this late but I NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!!! Anything from anyone that knows any answer to any of my questions...I will get up early to do this tomorrow so please, any advice...thank you.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
here, look thorugh here. Maybe this will help you diasmble the hub. As for the bolt, I don't know if the bolt is replaceable or if you need a new spindle or what. Good luck. There probably aren;t many ppl around, so good luck.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...+wheel+bearing
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 05-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Thanks Duff. I took a look at doing it myself, but the front brakes look different to me than the rear in these pics. I feel stupid but I couldn't really find any place to use any of my tools to get anything loosened up. I didn't try very hard but I guess I'm ashamedly too much of a wuss to just start wrenching on stuff at this moment, plus realistically I don't have time to do it myself right now--if I mess something up I don't have the time before work and before making the trip tomorrow to go back and fix it (dealer is only open so long for parts). I WISH the circumstances were different and I did have the time, because I love doing my own repair work, but...just can't do it right now, dangit. Thanks though.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
sqrly
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22581
What I Drive: 2008 white coupe s

FF Reputation: 3 sqrly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I know this isn't help but that is what happens when thos kind of places do anything with taking off the wheels they use impact guns on and off and don't really pay any attention to what they are doing. But given your time crunch if it is only costing you 50 bux at the dealer for everything then get it done.
Zetec Crew #136
Xbox Live: SqrlyZX3
Old 05-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Yeah thanks sqrly, I decided it was best to just do that...so an update, if anybody cares:

Got everything taken care of, cost me a hair over $45 with tax. Definitely not bad...to me anyway. If I would have had a few more hours to putz around I could have figured it out myself I'm sure but I only had about 2 1/2 hours to take off the caliper and rotor, pound the bolt out, take it to the dealer, get a new one and a new lug nut, put it back together, and THEN shower and shave and go to work. Seeing as I've never taken apart a front brake assembly before I didn't want to do it under stress/pressure like that. If I were to mess something up I would have been very upset and would have probably been late to work if I would have gone at all, on top of having to figure out what the hell I did and how to fix it.

Thanks for the help anyway though. It's all good now...I will post pics now as well. Not in here though...
Old 05-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
sqrly
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22581
What I Drive: 2008 white coupe s

FF Reputation: 3 sqrly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
lol I am sorry you didn't have more time but if you ever have a free weekend or something take off your wheel and take a look at everything It isn't that hard but given your time crunch that ain't bad at all IMO
Zetec Crew #136
Xbox Live: SqrlyZX3
Old 05-05-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
miniboon
Dehawkified

Fan#: 35233
What I Drive: 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS

FF Reputation: 42 miniboon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i wish i had seen this sooner, i can tell you how to do it for like 3 bucks
Old 05-05-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
miniboon