ST to ZX3 parts swap. Other gen1 to 2 parts. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
Nfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38741
What I Drive: 06' Silver, ZX3 SE Team DURATEC #03

FF Reputation: 2 Nfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation ST to ZX3 parts swap. Other gen1 to 2 parts.

So every one wants to paint parts, why not just fork the money out and buy the ST mirrors, door handles, and grill, that are color matched and should fit. then you dont have to worry about that crappy rattle can clear coat going bad with weather over a year. I live in very hot weather conditions, avg summer here is 105. FREAKING HOT! Sure in So Cali this kind of rattle can stuff works in nice weather where it rains not so often and you dont have sand storms.

Question is for the ZX3 and ST people, (b16 if you can help that would shead some light) also can we get a new post thats cleaned up and sticky about parts that convert.

ZX3&5, Gen 1, 2
- No changes to major frame at all, exterior can be swap between versions with just fenders, headlights bumper and hood. every thing bolts on. (works for all version of focus as far as the front end), yes the tail lights are the same on both Gens of ZX series
- Interior wise only the doors and dash have changed with major changes. I dont know if the doors can be converted to the old/new version and still line up to the dash correctly/aestheticly. The Dash cant be changed due to the ECU and cluster conflicts, even though they might bolt up with no problem.
-Exterior, as far as getting color matched parts, door handles are the same as the Mazda Tribute (or so I'm told) and should be the same as the ST. Mirrors, now I dont know if the ST mirrors (4 door)will fit the ZX (3 or 5 door hatch) series Focus just yet. Grill, the ST grill can fit all 05+ Focus. Hatch trim, good luck, I think a few ZX's have color matched as a option from factory which also included door guards on the 05+ (never seen in person but they say they can come with them). ---HEADLIGHTS--- This seems to be a big one for people, NO THEY DO NOT MATCH THE EURO FORD FOCUS! As of yet there are no replacments out there for the 05+ Focus, if you find them they are done by some one from home. Save your money and do them your self, unless your doing just the painted look and the price is right. The rear triangle, they say that the SVT has glossy black door trim and rear window triangle. Now my SE has a nice glosy triangle but the door trim sucks. The ST door trim will not work because the door is just all wrong. BatInc has a replacment kit, but i see no need for the rear section, UNLESS it really is better than the one the car comes with. (Let me know)
-Motor:
Im not going there. Most want to toss in the 2.3 into the 2.0. I think is could be done with ease, just not with ease of pocket, req, ecu, motor, trans, harness, change in shift linkage im guessing might have to be a mix of both ZX and non ZX, cluster, and a few others i might forget. Seeing how I know very little on the ford power plant and its brain im not to sure about this section of this write up. So venture on your own, I will try to fill this in later.

Parts most ZX3's didnt come with but are working options; (and should work with out being in an option pkg)
-Speed Cont (offered in the Conv Group)
-Tilt/Tele Wheel (offered in the Conv Group)
-Tach (offered in the SE Sport Group) also listed as do able w/out ABS
-Fogs (offered in the SE Sport Group)
-4 Disk Brakes (offered but not part of any pkg, only from factory it seems)
-Remote audio (offered in the upgrade stereo, dont know if it was part of a pkg)

If you look at Fords site they list some of these things as options but must include other things.. well I really doubt that. The only problem with the aboves things is getting the correct Tach so that some lights arnt always on. YES FORD CAN DO IT, now most the time they are DS about it. so good luck.

If there is any thing I missed or any thing that I am wrong on please post it here and I will make changes to what is here. So that others will be able to find this (as a sticky i hope) and ease the repeat questions.

US MARINE, above all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Actually the grille wont fit, but the mirrors and door handles yes.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
ChazimusZX4ST
Fords suck

Fan#: 30557
What I Drive: 2005 Graffiti ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 19 ChazimusZX4ST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Hey now, I like my rattle can rims.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
Nfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKA View Post
Actually the grille wont fit, but the mirrors and door handles yes.
? It doesnt fit ? Your saying that the ST grille will not fit the gen 2 Focus with out SAP.
US MARINE, above all!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Nfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazimusZX4ST View Post
Hey now, I like my rattle can rims.
I used the krylon line, primer, paint and clear coat, and it was crap and any time the car got dirty and i went to clean it it would get worse. i used 3 coats of paint and 3 of clear coat and still it didnt last long. So I had to vinal my car.

Now if you used the metal paint then i have yet to try my luck with it. I would rather just get factory parts or take them in and get painted by a paint shop with the real deal.
US MARINE, above all!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
ChazimusZX4ST
Fords suck

The Duplicolor Metal Cast stuff works great on rims, exhaust, etc.

And the grills on the 2005 Focus Models(dunno about 06-07) are one piece, meaning it's pieced with the trim, so you can't change it from the grey to black without switching the trims out as well, which can be difficult if it's color molded and 2 different color cars. THe SAP grill is totally by it's self for sure, meaning it's removable on it's own.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
stoopidsteve87
!FRENCH FRY!

Fan#: 31168
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv

FF Reputation: 8 stoopidsteve87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
the ST color matched grille (inner honeycomb grille and painted surround both, as they are one peice) do fit the zx3/zx5. people on here have done it. it's the same exact peice as the grille/surround on the hatchbacks, simply that the fake chrome surround is painted to match the car, and the honeycomb is grey? or silver? idk, but its that instead of black.

as for the shiny triangle and door pillars...the 05+ have the shiny triangle, did you mention that? BUT, is there a website to that company that you said sells the kits? i want a shiny pillar.
Gump Crew #11 / Team Duratec #196
THE Blazin' Copper Hottness of the South

!FRENCH FRY! - The Stop Light Destroyer
Taylor Swift Crew(TSC) #2
Old 05-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #8
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
They do fit???
My bad, I thought they didn't..................
Old 05-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
Nfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopidsteve87 View Post
the ST color matched grille (inner honeycomb grille and painted surround both, as they are one peice) do fit the zx3/zx5. people on here have done it. it's the same exact peice as the grille/surround on the hatchbacks, simply that the fake chrome surround is painted to match the car, and the honeycomb is grey? or silver? idk, but its that instead of black.

as for the shiny triangle and door pillars...the 05+ have the shiny triangle, did you mention that? BUT, is there a website to that company that you said sells the kits? i want a shiny pillar.
Thats what I thought. The Grille for the ST (color matched trim and honeycomb) will fit on any 05+ Chrome grille. Of course the SAP grill is part of the bumper, so no that doesnt work when you just want to change the grill.

Yes my 05 has a shiny triangle rear trim. (thought they all had them guess not) Now my door trim is that black dull plastic junk. So to make it a black mirror like the rear section you need to get the Gen 1 SVT door trim. I know BatInc.net sales it as a kit and for a price I dont think is worth it. 82.50 for the door trim and 25.50 for the triangle. But I thought that the U.S. SVT had the shiny pillars. Need a SVT owner to speak up.
US MARINE, above all!
Old 05-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #10
ChazimusZX4ST
Fords suck

Just paint the door trim yourself, it's fairly easy, just prep it properly.

Bookmarks & Social Networks