Gas with Ethanol with FI SAFE? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
FOCUS ZTS
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5840
What I Drive: Burned 300hp Turboed black 00 ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 FOCUS ZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Gas with Ethanol with FI SAFE?

I just want to know if gas that has 10% of ethanol now is it safe to use with FI. I use 93 but don't know if 93 with 10% ethanol is good or bad? I was told it is better cuz it burns better, but i don't know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
It SUCKS, but you can use it. It would be better if you had the car tuned for what you are going to run in it.

In addition to my focus, I also have a blown mustang. The mustang DOES NOT like the 10% eth. fuel. It runs on it , but I pulled a few more degrees of timing out to keep it from detonating under boost. Put in some race fuel and non-mixxed gas and I can dial it back in, and race you feel the difference.

So, to answer your question. Yes, you can run on it, but there are less BTU's of energy in the fuel to use for power. What does that mean.

1.) It means the gas sucks butt.
2.) I would suggest getting your car tunes with that crap in the tank, that way the tuner can watch for detonation and tune accordingly.

If you have a car tuned without it? You drive through a state ( or states ) with it. You can fill the tank. Look for 93 instead of 92, and just don't boost the car all the way to redline, it"ll still be fast, just I wouldn't hammer it at the limit.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
FOCUS ZTS
Focus Addict

Ok so its not better and if i had to choose it would be better to with the gas w/o the eth, ok cool.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
You might see power loss, but you're not going to have any issues with pre-detonation. Ethanol has a higher resistance to pre-detonation than gasoline; if you were to run straight ethanol you'd pretty much have the equivalent of 110 octane race gas. I think that E85 is somewhere around 105, so a 10% blend of ethanol and gasoline rated at 93 octane should have a higher resistance to pre-detonation than just straight gasoline at the same rating.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
FOCUS ZTS
Focus Addict

Wait am i missing something, will i have power loss if u use all ethanol?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Tuned for gasoline, yes.

If you get a tune for ethanol you can advance timing and increase boost. Now if you were to use 110 race fuel you'd get more power over ethanol, but ethanol will give you more power (tuned correctly) than pump gas.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
QQQQ
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38163
FF Reputation: 3 QQQQ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yup.Unless you retune for it.Pound for pound,it has less potential energy than straight gasoline.However,due to its higher octane rating and ability to cool the incoming fuel charge,it is possible to generate more power with alcohol IF you richen up the fuel mix.Injected cars usually run a greater fuel to air ratio with it.Confused yet?Don't worry, running 10% in your FI car won't hurt anything.Now E85 (85% ethanol)I would be worried about...
Old 02-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
FOCUS ZTS
Focus Addict

Now i get it, kool i think i'll just stick to good old 100% 93. Thanks
Old 02-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQQ View Post
Now E85 (85% ethanol)I would be worried about...
If the engine, ECU and fuel delivery system were set up for flex-fuel it wouldn't be a problem...no worse than running 105 race gas on a pump gas tune. The issue with E85 and E100 would be you'd corrode and rot various metal and rubber fittings on the fuel delivery system.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
QQQQ
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38163
FF Reputation: 3 QQQQ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
He asked about FI.I don't know of any FI flex fuel Foci

Bookmarks & Social Networks