Car stalls when making a turn... - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #11
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,528, Level 98
Points: 27,528, Level: 98 Points: 27,528, Level: 98 Points: 27,528, Level: 98
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
yes, the inertia switch can be replaced.. and I have no idea why the mechanics wouldn't have done that already unless that is not the electrical system that is being affected.

It's so much harder to figure out what is wrong- especially with things that only happen on winter solstice, or happen if I drive down the street, and take a left instead of a right to get to work, or something that only happens every 3rd Tuesday of the month if it falls on an even number.

You can go out there and start yanking on the wires that go to the coil and the voltage regulator in the alternator. Those are fairly common for problems with wires just coming loose over time. The coil wire would kill the engine, the alternator wire would make the battery light come on and go off- but not kill the engine until you ran out of power.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
hoppy82
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 46693
What I Drive: V reg 1.8 Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 hoppy82 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My focus - v-reg 1.8 zetec was stalling when I was putting the clutch down when turning corners etc. My friend had a look and said that the 'tick-over' for the revs wasn't high enough and therefore when the clutch was going down the engine would cut out. He did something inside the engine to raise the idling revs slightly and it hasn't happened since. Just a thought :)
Old 05-15-2007, 10:20 PM   #13
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing Member SquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have had a similar problem with my current vehicle. I took my focus to the dealership I bought it at, to the service center and told them I wanted to personally speak to the guy who would be working on my car. An hour later they brought me Alan, nice guy, little confussed to be up in the front with a customer but oh well. I described the problem and he said "fuel pump" no problem. I said "I got a full tank and the receipt from ten minutes before I got here to prove it, lets go for a ride." We hit the industrial park behind the dealership where I showed Alan why I buy new tires every other month. I also stalled my "automatic" focus 4 times in fifteen minutes of smoke and g forces. Back at the garage, they replaced my... you guessed it, inertia switch. Has it helped? Stalled yesterday making a left while entering a freeway at about 50-55 mph. And that has been the only time.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 PM   #14
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing Member SquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Little Update for ya!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My car went back to ford 2 days ago for the same thing as before, and we have a new plan this time. Replaced fuel pump and fuel pump module due to faulty wiring harness between module and pump.
6s4z-9h307-a = sensor amd pump $166.23
4s4z-9d372-aa = module $71.70
tech #112223/360 $240.00

all covered under warranty, no recall but $50.00 deductable isn't that bad. Hope this new info helps. the work was done @ Bell Ford in AZ.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #15
DFv2
WWTPD?

Fan#: 42684
What I Drive: 2008 Lightning Red STi

FF Reputation: 31 DFv2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
My 03 does this every few weeks, along with MANY other svtf's. Its just a commonly known issue that really doesnt have a resolution. You can catch it if you feel the RPM's dip. I dont know your exact issue, but it sounds an aweful lot like the common RPM dip - stall issue.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #16
LenMinNJ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37138
What I Drive: 2004 SVT ZX5 EAP

Points 1,032, Level 17
Points: 1,032, Level: 17 Points: 1,032, Level: 17 Points: 1,032, Level: 17
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 LenMinNJ Good Standing Member
Check for this problem:

There are three wires going into a plug on the distributor. We had one that had been crimped badly into its connector and it started going intermittent. When it opened, the car stalled. Eventually, when I pulled lightly on the wires the connection broke entirely.

Best of luck!

Len M.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #17
LenMinNJ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37138
What I Drive: 2004 SVT ZX5 EAP

Points 1,032, Level 17
Points: 1,032, Level: 17 Points: 1,032, Level: 17 Points: 1,032, Level: 17
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 LenMinNJ Good Standing Member
Another possibility: in my old 2000 ZTS the factory assembly techs nicked a wire when stripping it for insertion into the connector in the distributor. Eventually, the wire fatigued from flexing and broke *inside* the insulation (completely invisible) at the entry to the connector. When making turns at certain rates, the engine would shift on its mounts and the wire would electrically open inside the insulation. The car would sputter and sometimes stop dead.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:22 PM   #18
higgszx3se
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48193
What I Drive: 2007, Pitch Black, Focus ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 higgszx3se Good Standing Member
my bros svt had the fuel pump and ignition switch changed at the dealer
2007 Manual Black Ford Focus SE, Apexi N1 after cat custom, Lightweight 15'' American Racing Wheels. Performance Hankook rear tires and Low profile Futura front tires. AEM custom Short Ram Intake with suction valve. MOMO racing petals and shifter.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.