Axel install - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
vanquish
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37516
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 vanquish Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Axel install

Heres my problem, i was replacing the entire front end suspension with a sportline kit(swaybars struts and springs) and the right lower control arm. When i tried to remove the balljoint from the steering knuckle the axel poped out at the inner CV joint. During the prosess of trying to get it back in i tore the seal between the metal inner axel and the CV boot(part #?) also i am wondering how to get the axel back in. the CV boot and clamps are all still intact and the new control arm is on but not tightened. any help would be great.
i would also like to vent about those stupid studs tha ford uses that u need to put the allen key into the end, i needed to cut 2 of those off because they stripped. now i need a new tierod end and a new swaybar end link.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
cmiller333
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44151
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 cmiller333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
same thing happened to me when i did my clutch... this made it easy for me first i pulled the inner half of the axle out. (it will leak tranny fluid) then once that is out take the outer axle and make sure the rubber boot is all the way extended the rubber shouldnt be touching the metal (the part that has like three bearings in it) once that is done it just slides together with literally NO EFFORT next make sure you get that boot on nice and tight. beware that if the boot is torn it will lessen the life of the axle (oh by the way the inner axle just goes back in you shouldnt need to replace a seal or anything like that) and thats how i did it. i almost crapped myself when that popped out lol.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
vanquish
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37516
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 vanquish Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
thanks for the info. ill give it a try. My local parts store said i would have to buy the whole axel to get the dust/dirt seal.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
cmiller333
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44151
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 cmiller333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ya thats what i have found. you could always go to a u pull it yard and just take the boot.

Bookmarks & Social Networks