I need help I think I hydrolocked my motor - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
APOETSLYRIC82
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 33040
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 CHARCOAL GREY

FF Reputation: 1 APOETSLYRIC82 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
I need help I think I hydrolocked my motor

Well the other day in sunny Miami, FL i was steadily making my way though a cavernous puddle idling mind you to avoid sucking in any water through my AEM CAI when some son of a female dog in a behemoth SUV decided to pass me in a two lane two way road with no pass signs posted everywhere nevertheless as the porker in no way signifying that he was a cop passed me a huge tidal wave came crashing towards my car which then inadvertently sucked up enough water to probably fill the radiator.....twice. I decided to shut off the car and empty out the oil pan hoping to get out the malevolent water which had shut off the car for me and after doing so attempted to get the engine to turn with some fresh oil and a new filter..no luck. I feel...violated my baby having been so well taken care of now a victim of torrential rains PHACK!!! but I have a question for my fellow FF, is there any way I can get the engine to "unlock" from the hydrolock I've emptied the motor out again and when I try to get the engine to turn it makes a vigorous thump as if it wants to turn but can't manage to unfasten itself from its cylinder walls obviously when I tried this maneuver it had oil but I'm getting desparate and I would like to avoid having to purchase a new engine since I spent so much time investing on this one please FF speak to me
verse187@hotmail.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
APOETSLYRIC82
Focus Rookie

please help I think I hydrolocked my motor

Well the other day in sunny Miami, FL i was steadily making my way though a cavernous puddle idling mind you to avoid sucking in any water through my AEM CAI when some son of a female dog in a behemoth SUV decided to pass me in a two lane two way road with no pass signs posted everywhere nevertheless as the porker in no way signifying that he was a cop passed me a huge tidal wave came crashing towards my car which then inadvertently sucked up enough water to probably fill the radiator.....twice. I decided to shut off the car and empty out the oil pan hoping to get out the malevolent water which had shut off the car for me and after doing so attempted to get the engine to turn with some fresh oil and a new filter..no luck. I feel...violated my baby having been so well taken care of now a victim of torrential rains PHACK!!! but I have a question for my fellow FF, is there any way I can get the engine to "unlock" from the hydrolock I've emptied the motor out again and when I try to get the engine to turn it makes a vigorous thump as if it wants to turn but can't manage to unfasten itself from its cylinder walls obviously when I tried this maneuver it had oil but I'm getting desparate and I would like to avoid having to purchase a new engine since I spent so much time investing on this one please FF speak to me
verse187@hotmail.com
Old 08-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
HurricaneSpivey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49146
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ZX5 SE

FF Reputation: 1 HurricaneSpivey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Never had any problems with hydrolock, and I know Wiki isn't always reliable, but in an effort to help:

Treatment

Regardless of the cause, treatment is the same. Removal of the spark plugs will allow access to the combustion chamber. By inserting an irrigation syringe fitted with a flexible plastic tube on the end, you can suck out the liquid that infiltrated the combustion chamber. Once all the fluid is removed, the chamber should be sprayed with a liberal coating of a water displacing lubricant such as WD40 [citation needed], and allowed to sit until the remaining water has evaporated. Once the water or coolant has been removed, inspect the combustion chamber for rust. The best option would be to remove the head, but a borescope or small flashlight and mirror will also work. Light surface rust will be normal, but if you see any heavy corrosion, it should be gently removed, and vacuumed out of the chamber. After inspection, pour a tablespoon of assembly lube (such as Marvel Mystery Oil) or clean engine oil into each combustion chamber. Attach a socket to the crankshaft, and slowly rotate the engine through a few revolutions. (Make sure that you turn the engine in the proper direction, see a service manual for proper rotation direction.) If you hear any clanking, or harsh scraping, you should bring the engine to a competent mechanic. After verifying that the remaining systems are free of water (electrical, fuel delivery, air intake, distributor, etc.), re-install the spark plugs and wires, and attempt to start the engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock

Hope it helps a little.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
fusi0n
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25694
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 fusi0n Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
It's done. Same thing happened to me 2 years ago. Report it to your insurance company as a comprehensive loss. You'll have to pay the deductible.

Don't take it to Ford unless you have to. They told me that 2 rods were bent and they would have to replace the entire engine. $6500 repair.

I wish I knew then what I know now about Foci. I would have taken the repair check and done it myself the right way.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
I would contact your insurance company at this point.

In all liklihood, a tear down is going to be needed.

If anything, just to confirm if everything is still functioning properly.

Even if you do manage to get it to crank, you are likely going to bend rods, valves and everything else.

The other possibility is that it will fire up without issue and drive. However, I would constantly be concerned about when/if it would fail on me.

Sorry one of your early ventures to FF had to be on a down note.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 08-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
razorrik

Fan#: 38279
What I Drive: vehicle

FF Reputation: 7 razorrik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
pull your plugs out see if ya got water standing in your cylinders.get ya a lil syphone hose and drain um all out.pull the fuse on your fuel pump,,hit the switch and turn er over,might look like moby dick blowin,drain your pan again leave it off,,give it a day or 2 to drip and dry out, replace pan and oil.put plugs back in,,new or at least make sure there dried good and set properly.turn it over a few times,,replace fuel pump fuse,,give it a go.

this information is not of professional technical advise and carrys no gurantee or warranty of it actions or suggestions..you do so with and at your own discretion..
Old 08-27-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
Bochet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39091
What I Drive: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS

FF Reputation: 6 Bochet Good Standing Member
its too late if you've tried to crank the car with water in the cylinders. should have turned the car off when it began to hydrolock, push car our of puddle, remove spark plugs, crank engine to expel water, replace plugs, drive away.

i'm not sure how emptying th oil pan is going to get rid of the water in the cylinders?? sorry that happened.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
APOETSLYRIC82
Focus Rookie

thank you all for the informative responses I will attempt all avenues before calling it quits once again FF come through THANX!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
ob1murry
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40147
What I Drive: 2005 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ob1murry Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by APOETSLYRIC82 View Post
thank you all for the informative responses I will attempt all avenues before calling it quits once again FF come through THANX!!!
Sorry to say it, i'm with Bochet, it's probably too late, you tried cranking it and probably broke a rod. You may have been to get away with trying to start it once or twice, but anything more than that and your in trouble. Same thing happened to my old corolla. I wasn't sure what happened at first so i kept trying to start it, and i could actually hear the rod bend and then break, the horrible sounds that thing made.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->