Rallyx - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
Impaled
Raise the stakes

Fan#: 46117
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 1998 ZX2

FF Reputation: 4 Impaled Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Rallyx

Got my first one coming up, it's not a comp or anything, just a test and tune on a dirt track, i've read through the stickies and stuff but they mostly cover autox and i think things might be a little different on the dirt.

So any tips you guys want to give me would be appreciated, i'd like to not make a fool out of myself my first time, hopefully i'll be able to stay in control lol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
roush_rally
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42934
What I Drive: 2005 Charcoal ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: -1 roush_rally Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
what set-up do you have?
SoCalFanatics #45

Team DURATEC #79

Got Dirt?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
Impaled
Raise the stakes

just a stock ZX3, Just doing it for fun, ain't out to break any records.

Got some pretty good looking tires on the front wheels, look like they'll get decent traction in the dirt, I've messed around in some empty fields trying to get a feel for the car off road but any advice would be appreciated.

Would like to know what pressure to run my tires at and stuff.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
roush_rally
Focus Enthusiast

are you running the pirellis?
SoCalFanatics #45

Team DURATEC #79

Got Dirt?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
roush_rally
Focus Enthusiast

with just a stock Focus i wouldnt recommend anything fancy. just race around a bit to get the feel for it but for now dont do anything your not sure you can handle cuz you dont want to roll your car w/out proper rally gear (i.e. roll cage)....sliding around the corners is fun though give that a shot just be careful dude.
SoCalFanatics #45

Team DURATEC #79

Got Dirt?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Impaled
Raise the stakes

The course is pretty tame as far as dirt tracks are concerned so i'm not worried about rolling or anything, i would like some braking. turning, throttle tips if you'd be so kind, Should any Ebrake be used to start a slide? I am not used to FWD, especially not in the dirt.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:56 AM   #7
LazarusZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41107
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 LazarusZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I wanna rally! But my car is pure street set up. 4 inches off the ground + 18 in. wheels. No go.

oh, and I have no tips. God, I'm useless.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
mievil
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11306
FF Reputation: 1 mievil Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaled View Post
The course is pretty tame as far as dirt tracks are concerned so i'm not worried about rolling or anything, i would like some braking. turning, throttle tips if you'd be so kind, Should any Ebrake be used to start a slide? I am not used to FWD, especially not in the dirt.
Don't worry about rolling your car. If you want to have the most fun, keep all worries aside.

E-brake is not required. A lot of guys I run with use the ebrake, but in my opinion it is just one more distraction. If you want the back end of the car to rotate, just charge the corner, and give the brake pedal a hard stab. It'll start to bring the back end around. Then just let the back of the car do it's thing, and step on the gas. That'll help you pull out of it. This is something that you will just feel as it begins to happen. After your jab at the brakes (assuming you have enough momentum) you'll feel the back end start to get light. That's when you want to steer into the corner, then treat it like a rear wheel drive, give it a little (note little) countersteer along with more throttle. Rear wheel drive experience will be more beneficial on this type of driving than you would expect.

If this is all for fun, give it a few shots. If you get the hang of it, try some different techniques, left foot braking, ebrakes, etc. But don't get too crazy on your first time out.

Stock tires, try to bump up the air pressures to about 38-40 lbs depending on the surface. Lower than that will get you better traction, but you'll risk blowing a bead, or two or three.

Throttle modulation is your friend. If you're spinning the tires, you're not going anywhere. Let up off the gas a few hairs until you start to gain forward motion again. Then give it some more.

If the course starts to develop ruts, and you are stuck having to drive in them, let the steering wheel guide you through the corner. Don't try to steer out of them unless there is an obvious different line you can take. If you are absolutely forced to take the rutted line, just follow it. Keep very soft hands on the steering wheel and let the car pull itself through. Fighting the ruts is where you risk tipping, or blowing a bead the most.

I try to keep a full tank of gas. Bring at least two spares with you (full size is better), bring some basic hand tools and a jack. Don't leave them in the car when you are driving the course. haha

Bring clothes you don't mind getting dirty. Bring some water, sunscreen, and a hat. Ask lots of questions, ask for ride alongs, and have a good freaking time.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #9
GaryS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32600
What I Drive: 2005 Yellow ZX3, 1990 Mazda Miata (

FF Reputation: 4 GaryS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaled View Post
It's kinda like autocross. At your first event leave your ego at home and just go to have fun. Try to be as smooth as you can don't worry if you don't beat anyone. If you decide that this is the most fun you've had with your clothes on, then you can start working on things that will make you faster like left foot braking.

So, how did you do?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
roush_rally
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Don't worry about rolling your car. If you want to have the most fun, keep all worries aside.

E-brake is not required. A lot of guys I run with use the ebrake, but in my opinion it is just one more distraction. If you want the back end of the car to rotate, just charge the corner, and give the brake pedal a hard stab. It'll start to bring the back end around. Then just let the back of the car do it's thing, and step on the gas. That'll help you pull out of it. This is something that you will just feel as it begins to happen. After your jab at the brakes (assuming you have enough momentum) you'll feel the back end start to get light. That's when you want to steer into the corner, then treat it like a rear wheel drive, give it a little (note little) countersteer along with more throttle. Rear wheel drive experience will be more beneficial on this type of driving than you would expect.

If this is all for fun, give it a few shots. If you get the hang of it, try some different techniques, left foot braking, ebrakes, etc. But don't get too crazy on your first time out.

Stock tires, try to bump up the air pressures to about 38-40 lbs depending on the surface. Lower than that will get you better traction, but you'll risk blowing a bead, or two or three.

Throttle modulation is your friend. If you're spinning the tires, you're not going anywhere. Let up off the gas a few hairs until you start to gain forward motion again. Then give it some more.

If the course starts to develop ruts, and you are stuck having to drive in them, let the steering wheel guide you through the corner. Don't try to steer out of them unless there is an obvious different line you can take. If you are absolutely forced to take the rutted line, just follow it. Keep very soft hands on the steering wheel and let the car pull itself through. Fighting the ruts is where you risk tipping, or blowing a bead the most.

I try to keep a full tank of gas. Bring at least two spares with you (full size is better), bring some basic hand tools and a jack. Don't leave them in the car when you are driving the course. haha

Bring clothes you don't mind getting dirty. Bring some water, sunscreen, and a hat. Ask lots of questions, ask for ride alongs, and have a good freaking time.
well said. you dont really need the ebrake at all...as your not really drifting as much as you are sliding. a quick stab of the brakes works just fine. its also kinda fun to punch it as you come around the corner, your tires start to spin out as you slide and then you shoot off
SoCalFanatics #45

Team DURATEC #79

Got Dirt?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.