Steeda STS - a few remarks - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
chakotay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41048
What I Drive: 2007 Infra-red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 chakotay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Steeda STS - a few remarks

Hi all,
I just installed the Steeda short throw shifter in my 07 ZX3. I'd like to share some (hopefully) useful information.

1) In various FF forum posts I read that the difference between Steeda (http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...PROD&ProdID=86) and Ford Racing (http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=784) STS is that the former comes assembled and contains all the needed parts whereas the latter reuses some parts from the stock shifter. Well, that's not true! From the instructions that came with it:

"9. You will need to reuse and transfer several pieces from the stock shifter to the new Steeda shifter."

Installation is fairly easy but now I'm wondering what I paid the extra $30 for? The pictures on c-f-m web site look the same too

2) What was not clear to me when I ordered the shifter was how I'll solve the reverse lockout problem. My stock shifter does not have it (just in case, I'm not talking about the tranny feature that won't let you shift from 5th to reverse) and Steeda does have it. I wouldn't really mind to have it but my preference is rather not.

[Side note: I have driven a few cars back in Europe which had the lockout. However they all had the reverse in the same position as 1st - "left and forward" or maybe even a bit more left. It totally makes sense there as you use it basically to switch between shifting to 1st and to reverse. I don't see the point of the lockout when the reverse position is "right and back" and the transmission won't let you accidentally shift to "6th".]

Folks here talk about getting rid of the lockout using a dremel but the fact is that you just do not have to install it! Do not put the plastic thingy with the two arms on the shifter and you're done. The upper billet part will not move because you are going to secure it using the red plastic spacer that you reuse from the stock shifter.

If you actually want to add the lockout and your Focus does not have it, you'll also need a spring and a rubber grommet which does not come with Steeda.

One last note regarding knobs: it is my understanding that with the lockout you screw the knob on the shaft until it hits the end. Then you may or may not end up with the knob in the correct orientation. An advantage of the non-lockout setup is that you use the plastic spacer which will stop the knob providing a slowly increasing screwing resistance so you can always get the knob to the right orientation just by screwing it a little more.

Oh and shifting is so much different now. It's a great mod!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
joshuass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43024
What I Drive: 2013 Yellow ST3

FF Reputation: 1 joshuass Good Standing Member
hey thanks for the info, i've been thinking about doing a shifter upgrade. :D
ST Crew #65
2007 Liquid Gray ST with SAP1
MODS:
FocusSport CoolFlo Intake, Balance Shaft Delete, TruBendz 2.5" SS w/ Cat, FRPP Performance Springs
Old 04-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Yeah the STS is one of the better 'feeling' mods out there, for the price, it can't be beat when it comes to satisfaction. Steeda has always been the front runner in STS for the focus, best out there IMO!!
Old 04-28-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
chakotay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41048
What I Drive: 2007 Infra-red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 chakotay Good Standing Member
DO NOT POST COMMERCIALLY ON THIS SITE UNLESS LINKED TO ONE OF OUR FF AFFILIATES AS THEY ARE SPONSORS OF THIS SITE.

INFORMATION EDITED BY S2 (MODERATOR)

Last edited by S2; 04-28-2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Posting Commerical Links

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.