How to EBAY PROJECTOR HID INSTALL 56k should be banned - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-04-2007, 12:06 AM   #61
SVT-SAGE
Banned

Fan#: 43249
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 15 SVT-SAGE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Good thread, this thread definately pushed me to buy some HID's. Nice writeup BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #62
Quisman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4272
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT / 06 F350 King Ranch

FF Reputation: 2 Quisman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iced_theater View Post
They don't reach as far as the halogens as the reflectors aren't made for HID's, they act as a large fog light basically.

As for brightness, the camera is set to manual mode otherwise it compensates for the differing amounts of light.

If someone with a stock halogen set up has a camera and wants to take pictures, my settings on the camera were 6mm focal length, f2.8, .77 sec exposure, ISO 100, daylight WB

so, my stock headlights would work better w/ the HID kit than projectors due to the reflection design ? I'm looking for max bright max distance, as I drive a lot at night.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #63
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11223
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 p0sitivevibez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quisman: No. He put an HID kit into halogen reflector housings, which is known to cause bad glare for other drivers and for Johnny Law to get on your case. Projectors are whats required to "do it right", as projectors are what HIDs are made for. I don't know much about reflector based HID OEM systems, but our stock headlights defintley weren't meant for HIDS. Get the ebay or Mach porjectors and hids are good to go.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #64
Quisman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4272
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT / 06 F350 King Ranch

FF Reputation: 2 Quisman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Cool cool, thank you...cuz I'm pretty much dumb w/ my new love for getting better headlamps. I'd like to go w/ halo projectors and HID conv kit. What temp do you all recommend ?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #65
p0sitivevibez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11223
What I Drive: SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 p0sitivevibez Good Standing Member
I think most people would say not to go above 6000k. The higher the temp, the "bluer" it will look. 5000K IMO looks the best and puts more usuable light out on the road than 6000K and up, but its your preference. The 5000k is more straight white than blue. Check your pms I sent you some links to some ebay projectors.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #66
WUGcatsvt
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Nice Write up. I will consider some now!
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
Old 06-21-2007, 02:20 AM   #67
Captain Moonpie
Focus "Sleeper"

Fan#: 41715
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX3 deep red

FF Reputation: 13 Captain Moonpie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
My ebay lights say right on them "Do not use HID bulbs" but my lights are also the exact same as the ones he used. Is the sticker just a "cover my butt just in case" thing or am I really not supposed to use them for HIDs? I would ask ford525, but I cant pm him.

GET NITROUS PEOPLE!!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:01 AM   #68
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
A few clarifications;

HID bulbs in a halogen housing have the appearance of giving you better lighting because they light up the area immediately in front of and to the sides of the car. However, they do not provide any long-distance lighting, meaning you're actually able to see less that you would with a halogen bulb. This is my cheif complaint with HID retrofit kits...it causes an unsafe driving situation. While you might be able to see what's 20-50' in front of your car, it provides you with little or no illumination from 50' and beyond. Meaning that you might not see something/someone in the road until its too late to make a controlled stop/avoidance manuver. At highway speed, 50' is not an adequate distance to stop or avoid an obstacle. If you're after long-distance lighting, either stick with the halogen bulbs your headlights were designed for, or pony up and get a real set of HIDs.

Having a sharp cutoff with projectors does not automatically mean you won't end up with beam scatter. While halogen projectors minimize beam scatter, they don't entirely defeat it. A projector will provide the sharp cutoff effect regardless of the light source, but that means nothing...you're more concerned with what happens to the light that's getting out below the cutoff line, and as a halogen projector is designed for a specific halogen bulb you will still end up with beam scatter, hot spots and inadequate lighting down the road.

Overall, nobody wins when it comes to HID retrofit kits. Other drivers have to deal with glare, and the driver of the equipped vehicle puts him/herself and others at risk by not having adequate lighting.

You can read more here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

As far as color temperature is concerned...a higher degree Kelvin number does not equate to more light. In the world of automotive HIDs, 4200-4300K offers the best lumen output, but gives you slightly yellow light. As you increase your color temperature, lumen output diminishes. IMO 5000K is as high as you should go if you want your lights to be functional. It strikes a nice balance between whiteness and lumen output. At the end of the visible spectrum on the scale, 8000-12000K HIDs put out only slightly more lumens than most modern halogen bulbs.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #69
Focuz_On_Me

Fan#: 45020
FF Reputation: -1 Focuz_On_Me Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
hey moonpie i sent ya a pm
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #70
Algorhythm

Fan#: 20623
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3, 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R 636

FF Reputation: 105 Algorhythm Excellent Standing MemberAlgorhythm Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I have that same question. I got those projector headlights and they say NOT FOR HIDS but I want to grab an HID kit since these aren't going to (supposedly) blind everyone on the road.

Bookmarks & Social Networks