Aftermarket door locks and existing door wires--2004 Focus LX - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
ligardner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 32567
What I Drive: 02 Focus LX; 05 Focus ZX4; 02 Wago

FF Reputation: 1 ligardner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Aftermarket door locks and existing door wires--2004 Focus LX

I'm re-posting this cause it was kind of buried at the end of a very long thread:

Spudgunman,

Realize this is a follow-up to a post from a yr and 1/2 ago --dromeda asked if you can post wiring diagrams for 2004 LX with stock components. I would like to see wiring diagrams related to power locks and wires already in the door. I see a couple wires running into the front door on this stock 2002 LX sedan and need to know if I can recycle them for aftermarket power locks--if I can determine that they are not being used.
MANY THANKS from another Rookie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,115, Level 97
Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Did you already buy the door lock setup?

Because it might be easier to go to the junkyard and get the parts from a wrecked Focus, then install the relay and wiring in the door in the stock locations like the factory would do. It should work like that.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
ligardner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Whynot, that does sound reasonable, BUT, and here's where I worry. I'm not averse to junkyards and wouldn't mind scrounging the parts there. However, for all 4 doors I would likely have to strip actuators, locks, cables, wires everything out of the junked doors. Right? And if instead I used the cables in my LX, then I'd have to know up front if cables from an SE-power lock match the cables in the LX. And I am also looking for remotes to open these LX doors, which seemed to favor the aftermarket kit.

Regardless of whether I went to junkyard or A1Electric, I need to run wires to the rear doors--another puzzle. Not having done this before, I'm not looking forward to tearing up carpet. Can I run wires under the front seat (where the carpet already has some wires) and reach rear door rubber boots without cutting the carpet? Has anybody wired all 4 doors with one of these kits?

Thankx for suggestion Whynot, I'll certainly consider all options. Would really like to hear from someone who has done all 4 doors.
-Lytt
Old 04-15-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,115, Level 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Well, I've done some speaker wiring, but changes between 04 and 05 would make my experience worthless to you.

I do know that you'll have plenty of room under there to run wiring, and all the factory wiring is run next to the door under the carpet. The door sills pull straight up with some ummph, and so do the plastic carpet clips under the door sills- although these require more ummph and you must be careful to pull on the clip, and not pull on the carpet or the carpet will separate from the clip. I'd highly suggest removing the seats- 4 bolts, one wiring clip in the front, fold up, and angle out the back door with the lower part of the back seat removed - no problem. I think doing this could save you more frustration than it takes to do. You'll also have to remove the plastic cover on the pillar which simply pulls straight back. Beware of the metal part of the clips remaining in the door or sill. You'll want to remove these and re-install on the part before putting the part back on. It's not as easy as it sounds, but with needle nose and a sharp flat head screwdriver you can do it. Don't be horribly surprised if you break any clips.

Good luck with the aftermarket wiring. I hope you can find someone who has done this before, and I'm slightly surprised that there's not already wiring in place for power locks that simply isn't being used.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
ligardner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Whynot, Excellent detail on the carpet issue. Its been 30 yrs since I did anything on this scale, and I think you are correct about taking out the seats to save a huge hassle on the wiring to the rear. I have not pulled up carpet, seats yet, so i don't know how much factory wiring is already there. I can see one gray and one white wire running thru the driver side jamb boot. Not sure what they do or if unused.

Here's a suggestion i saw on Focaljet: "buy the OEM actuators from a junkyard and wire them to an aftermarket alarm". Does that sound less hassle than buying a full kit from A1Electric? Would be nice to have wires that mate with the plastic harness interface inside the door boot. Suppose the junkyard would sell the OEM wires and actuators together? (oh-but will the cables match up??).
Old 04-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,115, Level 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
^ No idea, you'll have to use your best judgement.

The one bonus to making OEM junkyard equipment work will be that you can get all the parts for the door panel to make things look spiffy.

Search the Technical chat forum for posts about :Focus Factory Service Manual. There was a guy in there recently who was offering downloads that- no wiring diagrams, but he can give you manuals that will give you points on disassembling the interior parts. I know the plastic piece that goes at the front of the front doors needs to be pulled down before out, but all the rest pull straight out or up depending on location.

Quote:
Old 04-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,115, Level 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Here's a link to that other thread I mentioned earlier.

Focus Workshop Service Manuals

Quote:
Old 04-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
ligardner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks Whynot. I did query the guy with the manual so in a few days maybe I'll have enough info to make a trek over to the junkyards....

Bookmarks & Social Networks