Cabin Air Filer?!?!?!?! Help! Ahhh! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
theonly287
SUPER FAST

Fan#: 35996
What I Drive: 2001 Oxford White SVT Wannabe

FF Reputation: 1 theonly287 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Angry Cabin Air Filer?!?!?!?! Help! Ahhh!

ok so i have 01 zx3 2.0L zetec

heres my problem i put in the cabin air filter and sealed it shut and closed down the latch thingy on the firewall that you have to open to get to the cabin air filter i believe its called the cowl duct or something at least thats what the haynes repair manuel said....heres the problem though i cant get the cowl duct to close completely flush with the windsheild anymore and it makes an annoying squeeking noise eveytime i hit a bump and its driving me FING MAD ....how can i reclose it to make it air tight and flush the the windshield????? anyone else have this problem when replacing cabin air filter???

ps i had no cabin air filter in the duct before i put one in there so i didnt really replace one i more or less added one...what gives with there not being one there in the first place????

I <3 my SVT wannabe
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
02ZX3inPA
Wrenchin' aussie pos

Fan#: 45346
What I Drive: The Blue Devil

FF Reputation: 40 02ZX3inPA Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I've heard the cowl duct is notorious for not going back on correctly. Not only will this make a noise, but when it rains it can allow water to enter your passenger compartment on the front passenger side. Since I don't have any experience w/ this (I got my Focus in february) I can't really offer any advice except take it back apart, inspect it closely, and try to find out if there's any obvious reason it isn't closing. (Is there a gasket, and is it crooked, clearance w/ filter, filter crooked?)
ZC #154..Focus Nation..
Old 04-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #3
sqrly
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22581
What I Drive: 2008 white coupe s

Points 2,806, Level 32
Points: 2,806, Level: 32 Points: 2,806, Level: 32 Points: 2,806, Level: 32
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 sqrly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonly287 View Post
ok so i have 01 zx3 2.0L zetec

heres my problem i put in the cabin air filter and sealed it shut and closed down the latch thingy on the firewall that you have to open to get to the cabin air filter i believe its called the cowl duct or something at least thats what the haynes repair manuel said....heres the problem though i cant get the cowl duct to close completely flush with the windsheild anymore and it makes an annoying squeeking noise eveytime i hit a bump and its driving me FING MAD ....how can i reclose it to make it air tight and flush the the windshield????? anyone else have this problem when replacing cabin air filter???

ps i had no cabin air filter in the duct before i put one in there so i didnt really replace one i more or less added one...what gives with there not being one there in the first place????
PM b16sir91 (mike) and ask him I know he works at ford and may be able to help you with this
Zetec Crew #136
Xbox Live: SqrlyZX3
Old 04-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
theonly287
SUPER FAST

Fan#: 35996
What I Drive: 2001 Oxford White SVT Wannabe

FF Reputation: 1 theonly287 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
the filter isnt crooked it is placed down in a duct in such a way that it is secure from movement...its just the darn cowl duct wont close....mind you its the top the three tabs are shut down completely...i didnt mention this before but i didnt get the cowl duct competely off i released the 3 front tabs but it would come off on the right side so i lifted it up and replaced the filter thinking what harm could it do...now it squeeks like crazy AHHHHH

I <3 my SVT wannabe
Old 04-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,656, Level 78
Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
where the two cowl covers meet in the center youll see a circle about 1/2 inch, its a screw cover. pop it out, remove the screw, lift the end of the drivers side cover.
undo the latches at the front of the cover on the passenger side and starting at the fender end stick your hand under it and give a firm tug straight up. theres 3 pins that have to be popped out of their sockets to remove the cover. the simply pull toward the fender to get the tab out of the slot in the other cover.
replace in reverse, except make sure to visually check the pins alignment before seating them. may need to smack right on them with your fist to get them to seat.

after your finished, head to the parts store and pick up a manual.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
nilskje
Focus Addict

Fan#: 11478
What I Drive: Focus -04 5door 1,6 Ghia

Points 454, Level 9
Points: 454, Level: 9 Points: 454, Level: 9 Points: 454, Level: 9
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 nilskje Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
After replacing my filter 12 times I have worked my way through 10 kits of latches and 2 new cowl thingis.. The design sucks!(i.e. i have replaced the latches every time , and that works)
Old 04-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,590, Level 98
Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98 Points: 27,590, Level: 98
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
In 05 they did away with the cabin air filter design so now the dash piles up with dust and pollen, and the wind noise from the cowl is annoying as hell.

I'll trade you my cabin air screen for your filter

There must be a new design also, I had no issues getting mine to clip in on the top again.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.