1st autocross coming up - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
rnrbldrlvr24
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42614
What I Drive: 2005 flame red srt-4

FF Reputation: 1 rnrbldrlvr24 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
1st autocross coming up

i have my first autocross coming up on the 15th. i have never done it before so what should i expect? im doing it with a buddy of mine he drives a 2004 gti and i have a 2003 svt. Just a couple of questions. I have low profile tires all season 17s. i think v rated(159mph) what tire pressure should i use on them. Should i do anything else besides take out everything that can shift like my subs or anything.. ie the spare tire? any help would be amazing. Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
SpeedOften
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2139
What I Drive: E90 335i, 2002 E53 X5 4.4i

FF Reputation: 28 SpeedOften Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
specifically what tires do you have?.. you should raise the pressure up a good bit, and have the rears a little bit lower...
Old 04-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
rnrbldrlvr24
Focus Enthusiast

the kinda of tires i have are stilettos i dont knwo if there any good i just know there were the 500 bucks for a set lol. but they are 215/45/17 i think but ill have 2 double check that to make sure ill let you know if there different
Old 04-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
Carrera26
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The stock answer is to bump them 10 psi all around, but what you need to do it "shoe polish" your tires. People usually have some shoe polish there they use to write numbers on windows. You put spots, 3 or 4 evenly around the tire, right on the shoulder of the tire where it goes from tread to sidewall. If the PSI is too low, the polish will be rubbed off past the shoulder, and if it's too high it won't rub all the way to the shoulder. Right where it transitions is where you get the most possible tread square on the track and the most traction. The other AutoXers will have seen this a hundred times and be able to help you apply and analyze this correctly.

Good luck!
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 04-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
rnrbldrlvr24
Focus Enthusiast

thanks for all the useful info i cant wait ive wanted to do it for awhile now cuz i can race and turn fast without getting introuble even if its not doing 100+ i can still get the rush
Old 04-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Tony D
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7018
What I Drive: 01 ZX3 Yellow/03 SVT Red

FF Reputation: 6 Tony D Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I usually start out at about 40-42 in the front and 35 in the rear. Mark the edges or the tread and sidewall to see if they roll over too much or not enough. Tire choice and driving style will have a lot to do with what will work best for you.

I hope this helps.

Tony D
Old 04-09-2007, 01:31 AM   #7
SVT-SAGE
Banned

Fan#: 43249
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVTF

FF Reputation: 15 SVT-SAGE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Hey where's the AutoX at, is it the one by Northlake?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #8
rnrbldrlvr24
Focus Enthusiast

Its in joliet at route 66 speed way this up coming sunday its only 35 bucks if u wanna join up just go 2 scca.com then solo n chicagoland cuz its filling up fast.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
torradan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25031
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4

FF Reputation: 7 torradan Good Standing Member
in addition to what they said.. some more pointers:

1) takes LOTS of liquids.. water, etc.. you're gonna sweat.
2) do the novice walk of the course if they have one.
3) ask lots of questions.
4) take out any loose items, and your spare.
5) if an instructor offers you a ride, take it.
Western New York SCCA - Cone Killer #440
Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera26 View Post
The stock answer is to bump them 10 psi all around, but what you need to do it "shoe polish" your tires. People usually have some shoe polish there they use to write numbers on windows. You put spots, 3 or 4 evenly around the tire, right on the shoulder of the tire where it goes from tread to sidewall. If the PSI is too low, the polish will be rubbed off past the shoulder, and if it's too high it won't rub all the way to the shoulder. Right where it transitions is where you get the most possible tread square on the track and the most traction. The other AutoXers will have seen this a hundred times and be able to help you apply and analyze this correctly.

Good luck!

Everyone here is giving great advice. Listen to them.

Important to note. Use WHITE shoe polish.

At an event a few years ago, we caught a guy using black kiwi polish on his tires. He said" Someone told me to use shoe polish on the tires to monitor the pressures. Not sure how much I can tell, I can barely see it as it is."

I felt so bad because he had practically painted the sidewall. I wanted to laugh, but just really couldn't. We straightened him out.

All the prep work is good. All the walk throughs are good, but the final thing you need to remember is "Slower is Faster".

It's easy to get excited and aggressive on a course with tires screaming and smoking. Looks impressive (to some), but in reality, you are slowing down.

If you do the walk throughs, take an instructor (and listen to them), you will learn so much and be instantly hooked. Take your time and concentrate on improving your runs. No one expects you to go out and win the whole thing. If you do, then great, just don't feel like that's expected of you.

Good luck !!

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Bookmarks & Social Networks