AC and interior fan problems - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-28-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
2002_zts
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 40104
What I Drive: 2002 CD silver Mach edition ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 2002_zts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Unhappy AC and interior fan problems

Well I am having a batch of problems with my car right now and was wondering if anybody could help out.

On the 11th my battery and alternator went out and were replaced at a cost of over $400.

Yesterday (25th) I washed my car.

Now my horn sounds as if it is muffled or full of water which I could care less about since I never use it.

What really bothers me is that my interior fan is not working any more. It worked fine (i think) this morning.

The problem is that I can press the AC button and turn the controller to positions 1-3 and the AC light stays on, but the fan will not come on. In position 4 the fan starts to blow at full force, but the AC light goes out. I have the same problems with the fan blowing without the AC on as well.

Now what could be the problem with my car? I really enjoy driving my 2002 Focus . It only has 69000 miles (just clocked at 4AM) on it. I would hate to have things keep going wrong on it. But, it seems par for course with Ford, that once things start going bad, everything starts going out.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Fords, and have always drivin Fords, as well as did my parents while I was growing up. But a Charger or Magnum is looking like it may want to be parked in my driveway more than the Focus.

Let me know what you think the problems may be, and where I should look to examine these new problems with the interior air.

Thanks

jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
drjkel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34025
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green ZTS, 2012 SE Seda

FF Reputation: 9 drjkel Good Standing Member
It sounds suspiciously like your heater blower resistor assembly is bad. This assembly is used to reduce the fan motor speed on lower settings and is bypassed on the highest fan speed. Usually the thermal limiter on the assembly goes open. A new part retails from Ford for $15.51 and is easily replaced. The following thread shows where it is located:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106631

It can be easily troubleshot with a volt-ohm meter once removed. You must have continuity through the thermal limiter (silver "bullet") on the top or it is defective. Coincidentally, I just had this happen on my 2001 ZTS last week also after washing it.

Let the forum know how you make out. Good luck.

- drjkel

Last edited by drjkel; 03-29-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
2002_zts
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 40104
What I Drive: 2002 CD silver Mach edition ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 2002_zts Good Standing Member
Thats what it was.

i also found this post that really helped too. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=24988

You will need:
A. The new resistor pack.

B. An 8mm socket and suitable handle.

C. A flashlight (optional).

Step by step:
1. Open the glovebox, and empty it.
2. Squeeze the sides of the glovebox and drop it down.
3. Locate the resistor pack just to the left of the blower.

4. Squeeze the tab on the connector to the resistor pack and remove connector.

5. Remove the 8mm hex-head screw holding the resistor pack. Once loosened, it can be unscrewed by hand (don't drop the screw!). I found it easier to come from the bottom of the glovebox. Just pull the carpet/liner to the side from the left corner near the floor vents.

6. Lift the resistor pack from the bottom, it swings up and out.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Don't overtighten that screw!

Took me all of 30 min to do including the drive to the dealership to get the part and to take pictures while changing the part.

Now I just need to figure out what these wires are for.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
sebaland
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 28390
FF Reputation: 1 sebaland Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
BigEd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38134
What I Drive: 04 focus se

FF Reputation: 2 BigEd Good Standing Member
Have you had this car since new?

If not, then the possibility of keyless entry, remote start, or some other alarms system is possible, or a connection for an aftermarket stereo component.

I had a speaker to preamp adapter behind the factory radio in my 00 zx3 and then rca wires to the 2 15's subs and 600 watt amp in the hatch area. I actually had the shelf that connected to the hatch set so it would cover it completely when dropped and you never knew that setup was in the rear until I turned it on. I had people tell me they could hear me from 2-3 blocks away and it sounded excellent then.....
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
bgd777
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84697
What I Drive: 2002 White SE

FF Reputation: 1 bgd777 Good Standing Member
Thanks for posting guys! This fixed my issue (speeds 1-3 not working). Simple $18 part I got on amazon.com. Hardest part was getting my hand back there with a stubby screwdriver to get the screw out. On my 2002 Focus SE it was also a phillips head screw not an 8mm bolt.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
DerekM
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84756
What I Drive: 2002 Focus LX

FF Reputation: 1 DerekM Good Standing Member
I had the same problem with my heater only working on 4 but also has a loud vibrating noise when the speed control is on 4. I replaced the resistor but the loud vibrating noise is still there.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
rskirk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102419
What I Drive: 2005 /silver/Focus

FF Reputation: 1 rskirk Good Standing Member
fan air conditioner interaction

this sounds similar (sort of) to my problem - a/c works fine with fan in position 1, but stops working (a/c light turns off) when fan speed is increased
Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
redwake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100718
What I Drive: 00 Black ZTS

Points 947, Level 16
Points: 947, Level: 16 Points: 947, Level: 16 Points: 947, Level: 16
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 redwake Good Standing Member
i had this problem it was the fan switch.. junk yard swap <30 minutes <$20

My Car: http://tinyurl.com/8mpden8
Sr# 256.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwake View Post
i had this problem it was the fan switch.. junk yard swap <30 minutes <$20
I might look into this for my car. I just replace the Blower resistor and it's still having fan speed issues.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.