Electric Trunk Release Issues - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Flashheart
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45417
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Flashheart Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Electric Trunk Release Issues

Hi

My Girls trunk has taken on the nasty habit of releasing itself - while driving (she states when braking) and other intermittent times. I have not noticed it as I am never in the car - but yesteday when washing the car - the thing was unlocking like mad.

I did see there was a thread out there where the guy's focus was popping the trunk when braking - but there was no resolution on the thread.

My initial item - I disconnected the electric release at the trunk - after verifying her key did indeed work. Now my thoughts - as it seemed to release a lot when I hosed down the drivers door - is that where the locking module is? Or it could have been residual water getting to the back end of the car. Either way - looking for some input....

I do not have a manual nor a wiring diagram to check locations.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
My bet is that the trunk release and the brake lights are wired through the same harness and that you have a short somewhere around the drivers door. I don't know exactly where the wiring runs, but checking under the door sill plate is a good place to start.
Of course the unlocking when you're washing around the door may be a coincidence, especially with the whole car wet. Also check the wiring inside the trunk, especially in areas where a heavy or large load may have pinched the wires.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Flashheart
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45417
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Flashheart Good Standing Member
I will check those items - but was curious about whether the lock module is in the door - as I checked and there was no water at the sill plate....but I would rather take the sill plate off than the door panel. I will definitely check the trunk wiring.

Any more help - greatly appreciated - as in if anyone has a wiring diagram ;)
Old 03-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Hmm, another thought, while you're poking around in the trunk check the grounds. It doesn't sound like a grounding problem, but then again grounding problems can do some REALLY strange things...
Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
hosmerunited
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 41415
FF Reputation: 5 hosmerunited Good Standing Member
check the harness in the back. i have a o1 se wagon and was having issues of blowing the fuse for the trunk release and the lock and unlock. while checking this out me and a buddy came across the wiring harness that goes from the car to the trunk door area had several major splits in the wire coating and 1 wire was actually cut and another 2 were starting to melt other wire coatings.
mike
Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
ZetecKing
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50011
What I Drive: 2001 black/blue flake ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 ZetecKing Good Standing Member
Yeap had same problem and I changed the harness and it fixed my problem it took 30 mins to change the harness not hard I have two more harnesses
ZETEC CREW #207

Bookmarks & Social Networks