IAC Valve - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
Davva
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41632
FF Reputation: 1 Davva Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
IAC Valve

I have a 2002 SVTF and it's thrown up a CEL. #1506 which I believe is probably something to do with the IAC Valve.

I would like to disconnect this valva to see if it makes any difference but I'm not sure where it is.

I looked at the 'How To' article but the engine in the pic looks different to mine and I don't want to start taking bits off the engine unless I'm sure I'm in the right place.

Can someone tell me the best way to get to the IAC valve, please.

Thanks in advance.

Davva

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
shadyluke
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45317
What I Drive: 2000 Red Focus

FF Reputation: 1 shadyluke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm new to the focus but not Fords. An IAC (intake air control valve) is typically mounted to the side of the throttle body and is the air bypass that maintains idle. On most fords they wear out and you can sometimes clean them with some contact cleaner but usually paying about 50-60 bucks will get you a new one. It will look like a silver cylinder thing and disconnecting it will not let your motor idle well at all.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Davva
Focus Enthusiast

Ok. So I located the IAC Valve and I disconnected it but now I'm getting more confused.

With the IAC connected the engine runs up to around 3k RPM when first started and then falls to just under 1k after a few seconds. The revs will also run up to about 3k when I'm coming to a stop with the clutch in. Once I have stopped the revs will drop down to normal.

With the IAC disconnected the car behaves pretty much as I would expect a normal car to run. The revs don't surge on start or when stopping.

So what exactly does this mean? I'm not sure if this is indicating an IAC problem or if it means the IAC is good and something else is wrong.

I also get a 1506 DTC with the IAC connected and a 1504 (but not a 1506) with the IAC disconnected.

Any advice would be grately appreciated.

Davva
Old 03-24-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
The IACV is operating (or trying to). It's seems like it's getting commands from the ECM but it sounds like it's slow to respond or hanging up. Then when you disconnect it, it happens to be in the "somewhat correct" position to give you a reasonable idle. I'm not yet familiar specifically with the Focus IAC, but you should get it looked at quickly as I suspect that there is an ECM power transistor/circuit involved that can be damaged. It may be simply contaminated with debris/crud, or it may be an IACV motor issue.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:36 PM   #5
Davva
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The IACV is operating (or trying to). It's seems like it's getting commands from the ECM but it sounds like it's slow to respond or hanging up. Then when you disconnect it, it happens to be in the "somewhat correct" position to give you a reasonable idle. I'm not yet familiar specifically with the Focus IAC, but you should get it looked at quickly as I suspect that there is an ECM power transistor/circuit involved that can be damaged. It may be simply contaminated with debris/crud, or it may be an IACV motor issue.
That makes sense. Thanks for your input.

I plan to take the IACV off tomorrow morning and have a look at it. I have no idea of what will be inside so will it be obvious if the item is damaged?

And do I just clean it out with electrical cleaner? Assuming it's dirty, of course.

Davva
Old 03-25-2007, 12:29 AM   #6
Grumpy
Focus Addict

If you are going to, or have to disconnect the electrical connector, then pull the battery power. I think you'll see obvious damage/wear. DO NOT "flood" the TB including the throttle shaft and TPS with the cleaner. Manually "dampen" and wipe only. I'm somewhat flying blind here but when you pull the IACV just make sure the TB IACV port/passages are clear and that the IACV business end and valve seat are clean/undamaged. If you disconnect the electrical connector check the connector and the harness connector for damage/corrosion. Don't "soak" or allow cleaner to get into the motor part of the IACV. You are not going to be able to do anything with the electrical component (motor) part of the IACV itself. If you disconnect/reconnect the battery don't forget that there is "relearn" including the idle relearn that has to occur, so the idle may be "funny" for a period of time afterwards and that's irrespective of any IACV issues.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:48 AM   #7
Davva
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If you are going to, or have to disconnect the electrical connector, then pull the battery power. I think you'll see obvious damage/wear. DO NOT "flood" the TB including the throttle shaft and TPS with the cleaner. Manually "dampen" and wipe only. I'm somewhat flying blind here but when you pull the IACV just make sure the TB IACV port/passages are clear and that the IACV business end and valve seat are clean/undamaged. If you disconnect the electrical connector check the connector and the harness connector for damage/corrosion. Don't "soak" or allow cleaner to get into the motor part of the IACV. You are not going to be able to do anything with the electrical component (motor) part of the IACV itself. If you disconnect/reconnect the battery don't forget that there is "relearn" including the idle relearn that has to occur, so the idle may be "funny" for a period of time afterwards and that's irrespective of any IACV issues.
More good stuff. Many thanks.

I disconnected the electrical connector earlier without disconnecting the battery. I hope I haven't made things worse.

I will post the outcome tomorrow evening.

Thanks again

Davva
Old 03-25-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Other than specified Service Manual checks/adjustments, it's generally best not to disconnect or reconnect electronic engine components with the ignition switch ON...... but with the ignition sw. OFF you're basically safe. ALWAYS ensure the ignition sw. is OFF when disconnecting/reconnecting the battery.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:16 AM   #9
sqrly
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22581
What I Drive: 2008 white coupe s

Points 2,806, Level 32
Points: 2,806, Level: 32 Points: 2,806, Level: 32 Points: 2,806, Level: 32
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 sqrly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Ok I konw I don't have an SVT just a regular ztech but I had the same problem and what it is is there is a mass amount of carbon build up and there is just a little piece that is wedged into where the valve lifter goes and is causing it to stay open. I would recommend just replacing it. That is what I did atleast and the car ran fine. Hope it helps ya out a little
Old 03-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #10
Davva
Focus Enthusiast

Well, I took the IAC Valve off and had a look.

It looked kinda dirty so I squirted a load of electrical cleaner in there and shook it around.

I gave it a few minutes to evaporate the put it back on.

I have to admit, it was better than it was before.

The engine still surges when I'm coming to a stop but now it only rises to about 2k RPM whereas before it was going up to 3k.

Also, it didn't throw up a 1506 DTC but I only drove it for a couple of miles.

I'm going out in a couple of hours so I will see what happens then.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.