02 focus Ignition fuse issues? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
KC8KRL
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8194
What I Drive: Not anymore!

FF Reputation: 1 KC8KRL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
02 focus Ignition fuse issues?

Hey all,
This morning my 02 Focus SE wagon wouldn't start after a 5 min stop at the convenience store.

Turned the key, and all I got was a steady tone, no electrical activity. Dome light worked, as well as hazards and lighter plug.

Roadside assistance towed it into the dealership for me, and got a call later telling me my Ignition 30A fuse blew.

From some reading, this seems to be a common problem with Foci, should I be checking for other issues, or just keep a few extra fuses along for the ride?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
drjkel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34025
What I Drive: 2001 Amazon Green ZTS, 2012 SE Seda

FF Reputation: 9 drjkel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I had this happen on another zetec-equipped Ford, non-Focus. It happened once in 155,000mis and I was never able to make it happen again. The 20Amp fuse feeding the ignition coil blew. The car would not start. An autopsy of the fuse clearly showed a large over-current condition, i.e., the fuse did not simply break or crack due to fatigue. It failed upon engine shutdown&startup just like it appears yours did.

John Fluke and I completely troubleshot the ignition system circuit. No shorts, no insulation wear, no bad connectors, no moisture, no abnormal resistances anywhere, nothing to indicate an overcurrent condition.

This Zetec had the standard two ignition coils in a single pack, each coil powering two spark plugs in a "waste spark" configuration. I finally came to the conclusion that for some unknown reason, the ECU commanded both of its internal drivers for the coil pack on simultaneously and left them on. Since the primary resistance of just one coil on that Zetec was 0.5ohm, I theorized that the resulting current took out the fuse. I don't know what the on-state resistance of the drivers was though.

I carried a spare 20Amp fuse after that and it never happened again.

-drjkel

WA2CHV
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.