How to: paint svt calipers? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
jcardodeucedos1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45403
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red Ford Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jcardodeucedos1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How to: paint svt calipers?

I have recently bought a case of VHT caliper paint and was just wondering if there was any advice for painting calipers? Leave them on and tape off everything else or take them off?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
miniboon
Dehawkified

Fan#: 35233
What I Drive: 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS

FF Reputation: 42 miniboon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i did this last summer, the best way is to take the caliper off the disc, but don't disconnect the hoses, you will need to unclip the hose from the two little clips to be able to move the caliper...take a coat hanger and hook the caliper with it, be sure not to let it hang by the hose. i used butcher paper (i just went to a nearby deli and asked them for some) and taped off my whole fender, just the hose was coming through the paper, and that was masked off.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
miniboon
Dehawkified

once you've got the caliper off and everything ready, you need to clean the living crap out of that caliper, specially if you've got the stock pads, cause there is just so much brake dust. clean the crap out of it, i cant say it enough. you should always make sure the weight of the caliper stays on the hangar and not the hose, i cant say that enough either. once its clean and dry, hold it by the hanger and spray carefully. then let it dry overnight, and be careful putting them back on, that stupid ass retaining clip can be a total pain....then just have fun.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
miniboon
Dehawkified

a few things i would add to think about is that when you paint your calipers, they are alot more noticable, and the look a little smaller because of it. also, the VHT paint is good, but it cant compare to colored calipers that come from the factory....im actually looking for new calipers for a variety of reasons, but that is a bit of the reason, they do look "homedone" i'll try to post some pics of mine in the morning
Old 03-27-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
miniboon
Dehawkified

and lastly, there is a haynes manual "the haynes extreme focus customizing" manual, i got it from autozone, its really useful, and it has detailed instructions with great pics.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
miniboon
Dehawkified

thats a really long way to say "leave them on" but i hope it helped

Bookmarks & Social Networks