Engine Light Code P1131 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
DerekNJND
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42892
FF Reputation: 7 DerekNJND Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Engine Light Code P1131

OK, had this engine light come on almost 2 weeks ago...

replaced O2 sensor by the exhaust manifold today, no dice. Still got a check engine light on.

I already checked for vacuum leaks, and didnt find any. Anyone wanna give a shove in the right direction here?? I"m pissed, I was 80% sure replacing the sensor would end this....

I'm thinking my MAF next...cleaned or replaced. After that, I'm looking at like 50 possible things, so someone please help if you can!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
justjeffrey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24634
What I Drive: 2000 Black JRSC-BBK'd ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 justjeffrey Good Standing Member
I cant remember - did you swap the DPFE?

I once saw a dude at Wal mart with 5 cans of BONDO. I told him that better be for your F'n science project.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
DerekNJND
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjeffrey View Post
I cant remember - did you swap the DPFE?
NOt sure what you're referring to...DPFE??

If thats some kind of after market modification, then no. This is a plain jane ford focus ZTS...nothing fancy installed or swapped.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
zx32nr
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43460
What I Drive: 2007 pitch black zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 16 zx32nr Great Standing Member
no, the DPFE is a common prob with the zetec's. if u r looking at the engine on the right hand side u will see the egr valve and right above it is the DPFE.googly moogly woogly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the last part was what happens when u let your GF hold your laptop, lol)
Old 03-16-2007, 12:27 AM   #5
DerekNJND
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx32nr View Post
no, the DPFE is a common prob with the zetec's. if u r looking at the engine on the right hand side u will see the egr valve and right above it is the DPFE.googly moogly woogly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the last part was what happens when u let your GF hold your laptop, lol)

I might have made a bonehead mistake...

I think for this type of check engine light, the light will not go away until you basically reset the engine and remove all codes. After I installed the new O2 sensor, I shouldve unhooked my battery then hooked it up again and driven for a while.

Once the P1131 code is tripped, its not going to "go away" simply by replacing or fixing the problem. The code is stored after the test for O2 sensor switching has failed a certain amount of times. Just installing the new part doesnt erase those failed tests, so the light won't go off. Unhooking the battery cables DOES make the light go away. If it comes back, the O2 sensor wasnt the problem. If it doesnt come back, then it was.

I shouldve done that immediately after installation and I did not.

I'm guessing here, but dpfe is the EGR sensor?? If the light comes back, I'll investigate that among other things like the MAF, exhaust leaks, fuel system, complete air system diagnosis, the list goes on and on.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
> but dpfe is the EGR sensor??

Yes. It senses the differential/delta in pressure across the EGR to determine if it is operating correctly.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->