Roof Bike rack? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-26-2004, 04:57 PM   #11
fogman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 6824
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 2 fogman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by Geezer
Bat Inc. has a european roof rack that fits like a glove. Very easy to install and remove if necessary. We added two Rocky Mount trays (Pretty blue ones to accent the CD silver). They bolted right up without any adapters etc. The Bat rack is strong and lots cheaper than a Thule or Yakima at 134.50 (trays were extra but Rocky Mounts are cheaper than Thule and Yakima as well)
Geezer:

How was your Focus equipped for the BAT rack. The Kona I looked at had two small allen bolts (one on each side) that attached the rack b/w the hatch and the roof. My Focus has no holes for these bolts, but would it not be neat to find there are threads ready to use if I drill my own holes.

In other words, will you please describe what was required to install the BAT rack?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 05:39 PM   #12
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
To be honest I have not seen a Kona rack so I can only comment on the BAT rack. But from what you describe they sound the same. The ZX3 has two holes above each sidedoor which are located under the door seal. These holes have plastic caps which are easily removed. The side mounts attach at these points.

The rear holes are next to the rear hatch hinges. These are covered with a very thin metal or body filler and painted the body color. You poke these holes out. There are threaded nuts already affixed behind the holes. The rear rack mounts attach at these locations with the provided bolts. The instructions that come with the rack are pretty good and help you locate the holes. I have to assume the SVT would have the same "stealth" holes as well. I bet BAT Inc. could confirm this for you.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:52 PM   #13
fogman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
To be honest I have not seen a Kona rack so I can only comment on the BAT rack. But from what you describe they sound the same. The ZX3 has two holes above each sidedoor which are located under the door seal. These holes have plastic caps which are easily removed. The side mounts attach at these points.
Okay. The 2002 SVTF has these two holes above each sidedoor. I removed one of the plastic plugs with a Phillips screwdriver and saw the threads. Excellent. I'll remove the other three and verify the front is rack-ready before ordering the BAT rack (which is almost certainly the Kona rack by JAC).

Quote:
The rear holes are next to the rear hatch hinges. These are covered with a very thin metal or body filler and painted the body color. You poke these holes out. There are threaded nuts already affixed behind the holes. The rear rack mounts attach at these locations with the provided bolts. The instructions that come with the rack are pretty good and help you locate the holes. I have to assume the SVT would have the same "stealth" holes as well. I bet BAT Inc. could confirm this for you.
I poked out one of the "stealth" holes using a small pick. It was filled with body filler (or some sort of soft material?) and easy to clean out. The threads in the rear hole looked less than fine... very coarse... I guess there is enough material there for a bolt to "bite" or thread into tightly. The BAT roof rack seems very workable.

Any comments on noise? The Kona rack (that I saw) had two fairings (?) similar to the attached image presumably making the ride quieter.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:53 PM   #14
midson
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 6923
What I Drive: 2000 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 1 midson Good Standing Member
Hi, I just registered here nad also just bought the Bat rack off of ebay. It didn't come with bolts to mount it to the car tho, was wondering if anyone could let me know what size and length the screws are. Thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 09:04 AM   #15
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
For what its worth, the BAT rack we received was made in Germany and it must have been on the slow boat because it took a while to ge here. Noise wise it's certainly not worse than any other racks we've had. It's very light weight (all aluminum) very rigid and once the bolts are removed one person can easily lift it off even with trays attached. We remove it for trips and around town driving. We never did that with our thules and yakima because they were heavy and the clamp systems were a pain in the butt. Once you put these on you really didn't want the hassle of taking them off.

For those of you looking for the rear holes they are located about two inches from the hatch strut support mount (just above where the strut attaches to the car and slightly toward the center of the car).

Last edited by Geezer; 04-27-2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:12 PM   #16
fogman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ford of Europe Rack ordered from BAT

Quote:
For what its worth, the BAT rack we received was made in Germany and it must have been on the slow boat because it took a while to ge here. Noise wise it's certainly not worse than any other racks we've had. It's very light weight (all aluminum) very rigid and once the bolts are removed one person can easily lift it off even with trays attached. We remove it for trips and around town driving. We never did that with our thules and yakima because they were heavy and the clamp systems were a pain in the butt. Once you put these on you really didn't want the hassle of taking them off.

For those of you looking for the rear holes they are located about two inches from the hatch strut support mount (just above where the strut attaches to the car and slightly toward the center of the car).
Well, seems simple enough. I asked some questions of BAT and learned the following (or heard the following anyway): ZX3 and SVT owners go through the same drill per holes in the rear of the vehicle. Easy enough to do. Knock out body-filler! ZX5 owners and SVT 5-door owners have no holes in the rear. Later model SVTs (and others?) may not be rack-ready as the manufacturing process became more "North-Americanized" and eliminated this jewel of a design. I'm reasonably happy... esp. 'cause I was not looking for the "permanence" of the Yakima/Thule gigs (the pain is real).

BAT was helpful. I suppose a follow-up is in order once the rack arrives.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:04 PM   #17
mr03focus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 6763
What I Drive: 03' Infa ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 mr03focus Good Standing Member
So I just started looking for a bike rack, and my question is what other parts are needed to actually mount the bike? I mean if you buy the rack from BAT.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:39 PM   #18
fogman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by mr03focus
So I just started looking for a bike rack, and my question is what other parts are needed to actually mount the bike? I mean if you buy the rack from BAT.
Call BAT Inc. I asked about seeing an installation guide and a list of part nos. and was persuaded to sit tight and all the goods would arrive... the installation would be near effortless... and if there were any questions or concerns, everything would be worked out.

Specifically, my concern was per the rear mounting points. Surely the kit includes all necessary hardware for the rack, incl. locks and keys. At the Ford dealer today, I asked for a list of part nos. for the hardware, but no luck so far. Just in case.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:01 AM   #19
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

The kit is complete an includes all the items fogman mentioned to install and lock the rack to the car. You have to puchase an actual bike mount whether its a tray, an upright mount, etc. BAT does not carry these. Rocky Mount, Yakima, Thule all make bike mounts that will fit the BAT rack. Most popular ski rack adapters also fit on the BAT rack. We have a yakima ski rack but needed to buy the rectanglar bar adapters (Yakima uses round cross bars) to mount on the. Yakima and Thule make these conversion kits so their ski racks can be interchanged.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:50 AM   #20
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
OK, found the front mounts (top pic).
I only see one location that looks like it could be a hole for the rear mount though.
(noted with yellow arrow in lower pic)
Is that about the right area in the back where I should be looking?
Thanks for the "megaresearch" you've done, Geezer and fogman.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rackmount-all.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	2483  

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->