Ripoff??? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
goodwin74
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 144609
What I Drive: 2002, Black, Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 goodwin74 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ripoff???

Just got a call back from RPM Automotive. I dropped my car there to get an alignment and they informed me that I need to get my bearings replaced as well along with the front hub assembly. I told them to give me a quote on the bearings and alignment and they told me 749 dollars! Then they went on to say I would need camber kits all around which I knew already and they are giving me an ungodly price for that as well. So I will be buying my own camber kit to fix the alignment but are they correct with the bearings costing over 700?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
SrDudley
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100058
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZX5 EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SrDudley Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
You gotta think about it...it's a shop doing the work and getting the parts. You can acquire the parts yourself for around $200-300 id say I forget exactly I just did mine. Mine were a horror show I did them myself just the fronts I got pressed in and out cuz there was no budging them. Then an alignment itself is about 100. Then you gotta work in the labor so really for a shop doing all that work it makes about sense. Big bullet to bite but those wheel bearings on a focus are a b*.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
playaplaya81
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106583
What I Drive: 2003 ford focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 playaplaya81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah that sounds right unfortunately
Old 07-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
goodwin74
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 144609
What I Drive: 2002, Black, Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 goodwin74 Good Standing Member
Lol. I guess I will tackle the task myself :(
Old 07-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
The rear ones you can deal w/. The front ones you'll need to press them in.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
2002svtfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87936
What I Drive: Blue 2002 ford focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 2002svtfocus Good Standing Member
Do they sell the front bearings already pressed into the hub? I did my rear bearing, and just bought a new hub with the bearing installed already. Made life so much easier. I don't recall it being that expensive for the two hubs, maybe fronts are alot more for some reason?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002svtfocus View Post
Do they sell the front bearings already pressed into the hub? I did my rear bearing, and just bought a new hub with the bearing installed already. Made life so much easier. I don't recall it being that expensive for the two hubs, maybe fronts are alot more for some reason?
Go to http://rockauto.comfor parts. The spindle is going to have to come off, & pressing in a bearing is alot cheaper then buying a spindle & you'd have to buy a bearing anyhow, unless you buy a used one & then hows the bearing in that one? If you can remove the spindle & order a bearing & take it down to a machine shop & have them press in the new bearing. While your there check the c/v boots too for rips & tears.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
SrDudley
Focus Enthusiast

Ripoff???

Rockauto is the way to go I got the timken front wheel bearing kit and then the rears I got the motorcraft hubs with bearings pressed in. Took my spindles off on the fronts tried to get the bearings out every which way imaginable and they were in there damn good lol. I have a Goodyear right down the road they pressed the old out and the new in think I paid about $100 just for that lol. But your looking at $200 each side for spindles and then you have to buy the bearings and the rest of the kit. Better off just getting them loose off the car and pressed out/in then reinstall and your golden!
Old 07-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #9
2002svtfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87936
What I Drive: Blue 2002 ford focus svt

FF Reputation: 1 2002svtfocus Good Standing Member
Just curious since I have yet to replace my front bearings. And wouldn't be surprised if I have to in the next year. Is it very unlikely the actual spindle (Same thing as the knuckle?) would ever need replaced? Or do they almost never wearout? Also is the front hub suggested to be replaced at the same time as well? Or does that typically not wear out too? Thanks
Old 07-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
SrDudley
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002svtfocus View Post
Just curious since I have yet to replace my front bearings. And wouldn't be surprised if I have to in the next year. Is it very unlikely the actual spindle (Same thing as the knuckle?) would ever need replaced? Or do they almost never wearout? Also is the front hub suggested to be replaced at the same time as well? Or does that typically not wear out too? Thanks
Yes the spindle is the same thing as the knuckle everyone has different terminology throws you for a loop lol. But no very unlikely they would need replacing. Well if you buy the timken front bearing repair kit I believe it's called on rockauto it comes with the hub as well, I'd replace them makes it look pretty lol comes with wheel studs too so that's a nice bonus.

Let me know if you got anymore questions I literally did it a month ago so I remember, along with full polyurethane bushings ford racing dynamic strut and springs and a million other things lol.

Bookmarks & Social Networks