Nitrous Questions..read here first. - Page 29 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #281
Derek Zoolander
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55170
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES

FF Reputation: 26 Derek Zoolander Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
okay just read the whole thread... damn its a slow day at work...

I am driving an 08 coupe with steeda sri as far as performance goes.

I was going to pick this up here

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=163068&page=5

Here are my questions/conclusions from what i have learned..

1. I should be okay with a 35 shot on stock internals... Correct?

2. I have heard that every time you use n2o its like putting 1k miles on your engine. Any truth to this?

3. Does the bottle need to be opened right before the n2o system is used, or can it be opened and left opened for a long period of time (open it when you get in the car and turn it off say 3 hours later)?

4. If i dont use a WOT switch, i will have to mount a traditional toggle on and off switch. Correct?

5. If i am using the rev limiter with my stock tach do I still need the tach signal generator?

6. Lastly, do/can i hook up a fuel pressure gauge in the interior when i install the fuel pressure cut off device?

Thanks guys!!
Team Duratec #167

If I have helped, rep is always appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #282
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing MemberSquillyB Excellent Standing Member
yikes let me write these down
Old 07-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #283
Derek Zoolander
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquillyB View Post
yikes let me write these down
lol, told ya i had quite a list... i have heard some bad things about n2o just trying to figure out how much truth there is to them
Team Duratec #167

Old 07-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #284
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing MemberSquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Very little.

a- its not flamable

b- a 35 shot wont do that much and you will want to go 50 anyway trust us. I have run 50 shot a bunch of times and the motor is fine. I have run 75 a bunch, motor is fine.

c- adding miles, nah, done right you can safely run nitrous countless numbers of times before any real wear and tear will show on the internals.

d- install the WOT switch, why would you want to spray if your not running it all out?

e- "5. If i am using the rev limiter with my stock tach do I still need the tach signal generator?" Do you mean the window switch when you say rev limiter? You should only need the TPS middle wire.

f- You can do almost anything you want with enough money, and patience. You should seriously check into the NX Octane series controller, solve all these problems and in my mind with a proper tune you can safely run nitrous just as long as you can any other power adder.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #285
Derek Zoolander
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquillyB View Post
Very little.

a- its not flamable

b- a 35 shot wont do that much and you will want to go 50 anyway trust us. I have run 50 shot a bunch of times and the motor is fine. I have run 75 a bunch, motor is fine.

c- adding miles, nah, done right you can safely run nitrous countless numbers of times before any real wear and tear will show on the internals.

d- install the WOT switch, why would you want to spray if your not running it all out?

e- "5. If i am using the rev limiter with my stock tach do I still need the tach signal generator?" Do you mean the window switch when you say rev limiter? You should only need the TPS middle wire.

f- You can do almost anything you want with enough money, and patience. You should seriously check into the NX Octane series controller, solve all these problems and in my mind with a proper tune you can safely run nitrous just as long as you can any other power adder.
thanks for the quick response...

as far as the shot goes, i want the my car to last 100k miles at least so i dont want to put too much wear on it, so i figure a 35 will be a good boost of power, while not risking any damage to the engine.

i guess i am wondering what you mean by real wear and tear?? do you mean engine blowing?? what?

the 08's are drive by wire so i am not sure the compatibility of a WOT switch... figured it would be easier and cheaper to just have an on and off switch and only use it when i am at WOT

Yes exactly, i forgot the name sorry...

Thats the most important thing, safety, i want to be able to run this with little to no risk of serious engine wear! I also want to keep it fairly low key, as to eliminate extra costs... I figure a 35 shot will require less safety measures then say a 75, so i can start there and always move up...

I was going to start with the window switch, fuel cut off and most likely the fuel rail adaptor. is that a good starting setup with the kit that person is selling??

lastly i am still wondering about when the bottle needs to be opened... I dont wanna have to spend almost 3 hundred for a remote bottle opener... Can the nitrous bottle be opened and left open for a period of time say before you get in the car and then closed an hour later?
Team Duratec #167

Old 07-02-2008, 10:54 PM   #286
zappaMan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44
What I Drive: 2000 SE - Zetec Swap

FF Reputation: 63 zappaMan Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I was just looking through the wiring for the cooling/AC systems for another thread and noticed that there is a nice there is a Wide Open Throttle relay for shutting off the AC compressor under hard acceleration, could this be used to trigger a NOS system? It seems a lot simpler then using a reed switch on the throttle body. It appears to be a black/yellow wire off the PCM which goes to high when wide open throttle is detected (but I could be wrong, I am going off the diagram, I haven't probed the circuit yet.

I am thinking about a nitrous setup now that I have my engine swapped and having such a simple control method would make it all the easier to bite the bullet. ;)
Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #287
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

the tps switch is very easy, one wire and a t-tap

as far as leaving the bottle open, no problem. Just make sure you get a purge kit.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #288
MightyMouse
Scuba Edition

Fan#: 34537
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Gray ST (Scuba Edition)

FF Reputation: 20 MightyMouse Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you want to keep the bottle open for long periods of time I suggest that you just check/replace the seals on the solenoids more often than normal. The ZEX WOT switch is electrical not mechanical so no problem with 08's.
ST Crew #32
FocusFest 2008 and 2009 Fastest NA, 2009 Fastest FI Runner-Up, and 2008 Bracket Winner
Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #289
viney266

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveT View Post
A few Questions.
Is N20 like turbo you can turn on only when you need it?
How much does it cost to refill a bottle?
If I ran a Fifty Shot Do I run huge risks of blowing up my engine?

Thanks for your help. I would like to get Turbo but this seems like a cheaper alternative.

Sure, its only on when you need it, and even then it only works at WOT.

bottle refill is about $40 these days. 4-5 dollars a pound, 10 pound bottle. It lasts quite a while on a 50 shot.

50 shot? Read the beginning of this thread. Colder plugs, richer fuel pill, the right parts ( fuel pressure safety switch , etc. ) its pretty safe. If an SVT you need a tune.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #290
viney266

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Oh, just to add. My car now has 116K on it, prolly 10-15 10 pound tanks of nitrous at a fifty shot. Stock clutch, just eats tires a little faster. ;)...Engine is fine, but I have all the safety gadjets

Bookmarks & Social Networks