Fan sensors and wiring - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
DerekNJND
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42892
FF Reputation: 7 DerekNJND Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fan sensors and wiring

You may recall the "overheating at idle thread" The good news is I most likely found out why my fans werent turning.

Today, I took out my fan sensor, it comes directly out of the top of the fan assembly. Its the little plum-sized "box" in the pictures below. As you can see, the connectors are fried.

Also, the wiring that plugs into it is fried too. See pics below and look at the left side of that female connector. Its no longer a little slit for the male end its now a gaping round hole, haha.

Now my instincts say it would be best to replace the sensor or whatever the little "box" below is technically called. But as far as the wiring, do I have to replace that whole wiring assembly?? I think I do by the looks of it, is this a dealer item?? Thats what Im guessing....

any input would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fanwiringconnector.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	11366  

Name:	fanwiring.jpg
Views:	1331
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	11367  

Name:	fansensor1.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	11368  

Name:	fansensor2.jpg
Views:	1101
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	11369  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #2
foci3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38952
What I Drive: 2001 WH 4DR

FF Reputation: 3 foci3 Good Standing Member
That would be the low speed fan resistor. It and the connector are available from the dealer. Fans on high when AC compressor is commanded on and by temp
The cooling fan motors low speed temperature operation is as follows:
2.0L Zetec
107C (225F) to 111C (232F) - low fan speed ON
104C (220F) to 107C (224F) - low fan speed OFF
The cooling fan motors high speed temperature operation is as follows:
2.0L Zetec
116C (240F) to 118C (245F) - high fan speed ON
107C (225F) to 111C (232F) - high fan speed OFF
Old 03-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
DerekNJND
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by foci3 View Post
That would be the low speed fan resistor. It and the connector are available from the dealer. Fans on high when AC compressor is commanded on and by temp

The resister is available at places like Autozone. If you get it at the dealer its $200 because they wont just sell you the resister. You have to buy the entire fan shroud and assembly.

NO thanks!

I'll take the $25 one from Autozone OR try pulling the resister out of my old radiator for free. I believe its called a cooling fan switch. As far as the connector, to buy that whole wiring mess that pigtails into each fan, then back to the power supply, is probably pricey at the dealer as well. Instead, I'll go to a junkyard and simply clip that female connector off another ford that uses the same connector. I"m going to call Ford tomorrow and ask them what models/years use that same wiring. Then I'll simply cut mine off and splice the new one on.

I"ll save at LEAST $300 that way...haha let alone labor costs
Old 03-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
YZ04
Focus Addict

Fan#: 33875
What I Drive: A 4 door family saloon, '09 Trek2.1

FF Reputation: 10 YZ04 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
I just pulled the same plug out of the resistor today, and mines looks exactly like yours. My cooling fans were really weak for a while, but I haven't had any overheat issues (yet)..I wonder if this is a widespread problem (??).
Old 03-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
foci3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekNJND View Post
The resister is available at places like Autozone. If you get it at the dealer its $200 because they wont just sell you the resister. You have to buy the entire fan shroud and assembly.

NO thanks!

I'll take the $25 one from Autozone OR try pulling the resister out of my old radiator for free. I believe its called a cooling fan switch. As far as the connector, to buy that whole wiring mess that pigtails into each fan, then back to the power supply, is probably pricey at the dealer as well. Instead, I'll go to a junkyard and simply clip that female connector off another ford that uses the same connector. I"m going to call Ford tomorrow and ask them what models/years use that same wiring. Then I'll simply cut mine off and splice the new one on.

I"ll save at LEAST $300 that way...haha let alone labor costs
Ford now sells the resistor by it self and the connector with the 2 wire pigtails in it, also seperately. I will try to get part numbers and prices Monday for everyones info.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
DerekNJND
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Ford now sells the resistor by it self and the connector with the 2 wire pigtails in it, also seperately. I will try to get part numbers and prices Monday for everyones info.
Someone PM'd me that info today, I will post it below. I was going by what told by someone a few days ago that the dealer wouldnt sell the resister w/o the entire assembly...seems you are right and that's changed now. I'm still gonna try my luck with Autozone. I went there today and they supposedly carry the resistor but it was out of stock at the particular location. I"m gonna bring mine in and go to a different Autozone and make sure its an exact match before I buy it, but its only $24 there....and I can always take the one out of my old radiator, its probably intact as the front passenger side of my car was hit in the collision.

The wiring I will probably just clip off as I described in my earlier post and replace with the same connector off another Ford. The connectors to the fans themselves are fine, its just the one that is all fried up. NO sense blowing money on the whole wiring harness, which I'm sure is around $50 at Ford if I dont need it, but everyone's case is different.

Thank member ztecpower for the info below, ok:

The Part# For the Resistor F5RZ-8L603-AC

The Wiring harness Part# YS4Z-8C290-GB

What happens (Basically) Is the fan resistor fails (The LO fan speed side) And the fans don't activate untill the car is in the RED of your Temp guage, this happens so many times without you evan reolizing it that it burns up the Wiring harness as well with all those Sudden starts from a dead stop, which the harness wasn't designed for, thus burning out the wiring as well.

The parts should cost no more than 90.00 at the dealer for BOTH.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
foci3
Focus Enthusiast

I came up with
Resistor F5RZ-8L603-AC $46
wire 4U2Z-14S411-DA $43

This example for a 2002 zetec connector is exactly as in pics above later years these parts may change
Old 03-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
DerekNJND
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I came up with
Resistor F5RZ-8L603-AC $46
wire 4U2Z-14S411-DA $43

This example for a 2002 zetec connector is exactly as in pics above later years these parts may change

You are correct..just got off the phone w/Ford.

The part number I gave in my post, The Wiring harness Part# YS4Z-8C290-GB, is for the entire wiring assembly. That costs $90 and change. The part number you gave is for just the connector with about 8 inches of wiring. Then you'd splice that into your pigtail. That part at my dealer was $46 and change. Obviously, depending on the situation, unless your whole wiring assembly was melted and burnt out, you're better off with just the connect for half the price.

As far as the resistor, as I said, I'm gonna take mine outta my old radiator. Also gonna try some junkyards for the wiring first too..if I can clip that connector off of another focus it'll save me the $45. Money is money to me, haha.

But all of this is alot better than how it used to be at Ford..ie you had to buy the entire fan assembly to replace the resistor.

BTW, still looking into getting the resistor at Autozone....as I said, it was out of stock at the Autozone I went to yesterday. If its the same part and an exact fit, its only $24 instead of $45. But my first option will be the free one from my old radiator, then if that one's no good I'll move on from there...
Old 03-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
DerekNJND
Focus Enthusiast

I'm going to replace my connector and resistor on Saturday when I go home.

My next question is, what if that doesnt fix the problem? Where do I turn next??

Does the Zetec Engine have a tempature sending unit that "tells" the fans to come on? If so, where is it located? I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that my resister and wiring solve the problem, but if not, where is the temp sending unit located?? Thx
Old 03-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #10
jlee7765
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 32342
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 jlee7765 Good Standing Member
overheating

i have had same problem as described above. i had to replace the wiring harness and the resistor also. cost me 96 at the dealer. my connector was damaged very bad. i'll post some pics in a few days
i had all the same problem that were described in the post. overheating at an idle and cooling down as i gave car throttle i know that sounds crazy but its true, it amazed me also. fan only did come on when after car went into red as posted above.

Bookmarks & Social Networks