my car is left of center, How about yours? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
infocus1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 44411
FF Reputation: 1 infocus1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
my car is left of center, How about yours?

I purchased a new 07 zx4se two weeks ago Saturday. I am happy with the car except for the car pulling to the left. In my mind, when driving on a straight section of a four-lane highway the car should track straight and drift right due to the crown in the center of the roadway. My car pulls left instead. If allowed to remain uncorrected, it will completely cross the left lane of the highway. I have had the car back to the dealership, they checked alignment and done a four-wheel alignment. Car still pulls left. Service Manger said to bring car back in, they would check tire pressures and alignment data. He stated those were ok, He said he drove another 07 with 167 miles and it did the same thing. He said he would drive another one and let me know if it done it also. Next day, I followed up with him, he said the third one he drove done the same thing. He said he talked to a Ford engineer and the engineer said there had not been warranty issues with that problem. He said different states have diffferent road crown heights and Ford chooses a middle road setting. My problem with that conclusion is different road crown heights would only affect how quickly a vehicle might drift right due to the crown not left from the right lane. Any ideas or help will be appreciated. Also anyone else having similar problems or solved their problem like this

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Interesting topic. I know my old '02 ZX3 had a tedency to drift right (towards the curb), even after an alignment and new tires. The steering wheel was noticeably tilted slightly to the right when left alone on straight roads.

My new '02 ZX3 doesn't have that problem at all. I don't know if the steering of a Focus can really be calibrated by a mechanic (I'm guessing yes?), but that might be a possibility too. So yeah, definitely get that checked out.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
texassvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18366
What I Drive: 04 cd silver svt

FF Reputation: 1 texassvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
alignment

i have the same problem with both my 00durango and 04 SVTF. both pull or drift to the right, but i have very even tire wear and tire pressures are all good. i hate it cause my 00 durango will change lanes if you let go of the wheel, the focus not so bad. both are getting the alignment checked this month. keep us updated.

mods: modified exhaust
wayne's tune Xcal1 unit
MSD coil & wires copper plugs, RT cat, FR STS
VF rear trans mount
redline mats, viper alarm, tyc tails
kyowa 17" gunmetal rims with BFG KDW's hoen hid match foglight bulbs
SVT SQUAD #117
Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
CT SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 42985
What I Drive: 14' CLA250 , 05 S2000

FF Reputation: 12 CT SVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
the car is following the road crown. if you start seeing tire wear them your out of alignment. u should ge ta camber kit for the rear it helps. all cars will always have a pull but its small.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
focusonthefocus
Gan-San!

Fan#: 1411
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 focusonthefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
PM Mike... bsirsomething or another... (he'll probably show up in this thread sometime).

If anything, go to a custom alignment shop.

Focus on the Mountain
Old 03-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

Points 33,091, Level 100
Points: 33,091, Level: 100 Points: 33,091, Level: 100 Points: 33,091, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
wow thats interesting, mine does that as well, but cuz i need alignment, maybe one of the arms up front is slightly angled to the left side, just enough for the car to pull to that side
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
RecoilRob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21404
What I Drive: 04, CD Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 8 RecoilRob Good Standing Member
I do alignments for a living and have encountered vehicles that drift even though I have everything set pretty darn close to perfect.

In each case, swapping the tires from side to side cured the drift or created a drift to the other direction....which means it is the tires, not the car.

On directional tires, you are kind of screwed as you cannot swap from side to side. If yours are directionals, you could try swapping front to back or only one of each and see if things change.

The darn roads around SW PA are really bad for odd camber and just plain slanting which causes the car to want to 'fall down the hill' so to speak. Finding a truly flat and level road is a challenge and I have a section that I have found nearby that many 'problem' cars will track straight and true on. Nice to be able to check the work if things don't seem right.

One last thing....some people want to drive in a certain portion of the lane, and this can sometimes make a car pull differently as it rides on the crown. If all else fails, you might experiment with your lane positioning and see if you can find a place that it runs straight.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Heheh, if you have access to an unused runway or tarmac that would be a great place to test it out (and for photo shoots). Depending on where you live, finding a perfectly flat road can be next to impossible. I think it's when the car tends to drift a certain direction, regardless of what the road is like, when you really notice there's a problem (also if the car finally goes straight when the road is moderately slanted in one direction).
Old 03-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #9
focusxc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25771
What I Drive: 2002 SVT,03ZX3STREET STOCK RACER

FF Reputation: 4 focusxc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
hmmm...interesting...hope you get this solved!

Nice guys finish last, lets change that
Old 03-02-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
foci01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41223
What I Drive: 01 Twiligh Blue SE 4DR Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 foci01 Good Standing Member
There is a TSB out recently that may help.
07-04-02
2000-2007 FOCUS - PULL/DRIFT
SOME 2000-2007 FOCUS VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A LIGHT DRIFT/PULL CONCERN DUE TO FRONT SUBFRAME MISALIGNMENT. THIS PROCEDURE IS BEING PUBLISHED TO SUPPLEMENT THE WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTIONS 204-00 & 502-00, ON SUSPENSION SYSTEM - GENERAL INFORMATION AND UNI-BODY, SUBFRAME AND MOUNTING SYSTEM, AND EXPLAIN HOW IT EFFECTS VEHICLE WHEEL ALIGNMENT ANGLES. PREVIOUS VEHICLE REPAIRS THAT REQUIRED FRONT SUBFRAME REMOVAL MAY REQUIRE THE SUBFRAME TO BE REALIGNED TO CORRECT LIGHT VEHICLE DRIFT/PULL CONDITIONS. ALIGN FRONT SUBFRAME TO CORRECT MISALIGNMENT, OPTIMIZE CAMBER AND CASTER ALIGNMENT ANGLES.

Go back to your dealer and show them this and have them check it

SEDAN REVOLUTION#23

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.