svt rebuild, timing issue - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
need4morespeed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70192
What I Drive: 2000 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 need4morespeed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
svt rebuild, timing issue

okay guys here is the low down. bought a 02 svt focus awhile back. i blew the head gasket. i tore it apart, pulled the head and had it rebuilt and put it all back together. ive had several failed attempts due to dumb things. the first time i put the car back together i had the timing 180* off. the bottom end was exactly opposite from where it should have been. thats bottom dead center i think is what its called. i had the head/top end at top dead center using the bar in the slots of the cams. i put it back together this way without realizing my mistake and tried cranking the car. im not sure if i bent any valves or not by doing this and i would like to know if that is a possibility. anyhoo after realizing my mistake i pulled it apart again and fixed the timing. this time i got the car cranked but the throttle response is terrible, its very tough to crank and sounds like there is very little compression but it runs. it barely has enough power to pull its own weight though. the car may have run for 10 minutes in this state. i then realized that "duh" the svt has variable cam timing on the intake cam. so that would mean that i have to pull the belt again, set everything in TDC again, put the timing plate in the slots in the cams and rotate the intake cam gear counter clockwise as far as it will go and THEN put the timing belt on right? well that is where i am right now but i cant get the cam gear to turn at all. clockwise or counter clockwise. just wondering if im retarded or if im already foobarred or if im just overlooking something simple. this is always a distinct possibility. get back with me if at all possible guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
RoCitySVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 79942
What I Drive: 2002 Focus SVT #213 of 4788

FF Reputation: 1 RoCitySVT Good Standing Member
no the vct gear is spring loaded so you should be setting the timing marks without turning the cam first to tighten the gear. the CC rotation is just slight enough to pull the belt tight on the drive (pulling side) end. the gear should be centered, belt tight and bar in, crank at TDC on #1 then tighten the cam gears and tension the belt. done. It's pain in the balls bro

do leak down test on all four first to make sure you didnt bend valves. google it if you havent seen a teakdown tester.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
need4morespeed
Focus Enthusiast

im getting 2 different things then. im setting the timing by putting the plate in the slot in the side of the cams and the pin in the block that stops the crank. i never took the cam gears off the cams. im not going by any timing marks, im just putting the bottom end and the top end both in TDC using those two tools and putting the belt on. i was just under the impression that the intake cam gear had to be turned back. is that not right? i was told by an un named focus pro that was what i needed to do unless i misunderstood. turn the cam gear counter clockwise until it stops and then put the belt on.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
RoCitySVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

i didnt do that and i had to take the gears off and reinstall them. my car runs mint besides the shitty "SVT" idle problem. (needs yfro flash from dealer) google "how to focus timing belt".... lots of info on the net if your unsure.

i only turned it enough to take slack out of the belt so it would be perfectly on once I got the tension set.

if you ran it that way then your 25* out of time on the intake which would account for your shitty throttle response. you shouldnt have bent valves as long as you didnt rev it past 5k when the VCT advances 20*...which actually now that I think about it would put you almost back to zero.... or the bad side of that would be 45* advanced, which would prob hit valves....or damn close to it. hondas can run up to 40* advace on the cams...honda VCT gears have a 90* range 45 either way. ford is 50* range 25 either way. so there is leeway but not much for what you did. sry bud
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
need4morespeed
Focus Enthusiast

im just trying to figure out why on earth you had to remove your cam gears to replace the timing belt. and im still confused and im starting to think i probably did bend valves since i tried to start the car once with the timing on both intake and exhaust 180 off from the crank. because if you are right and you dont turn the intake cam first when installing the timing belt that would mean i had the timing right the second time i did it and the car was idling like crap and had no throttle response because of nearly 0 compression due to me bending valves from trying to start it the FIRST time. really wish someone else could weigh in on this. thousands of members on this forum and only 1 has anything to say...
Old 06-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
iDude87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 141305
What I Drive: 04 yellow svt

Points 485, Level 9
Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9 Points: 485, Level: 9
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 iDude87 Good Standing Member
This is the only place I can find the post photos

Sorry I couldn't private message photos to there was no link to add JPEG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	52546  

Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #7
iDude87
Focus Enthusiast

Points 485, Level 9
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Is going to be for Photos total

Here's another
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	6
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	52554  

Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
iDude87
Focus Enthusiast

Points 485, Level 9
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%

Almost
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	7
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	52562  

Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #9
iDude87
Focus Enthusiast

Points 485, Level 9
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Last one

Again sorry I couldn't send you a private message and I couldn't reply to the want to buy with the photo so this is the closest I could do . Like I said if the guy coming for the motor tomorrow doesn't want it I'll find out how to ship it and the rest of the message
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	5
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	52570  

Old 06-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #10
RoCitySVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast