overheating issues, but only at idle - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #71
pliznyk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 55402
What I Drive: 03 pitch black svtf

FF Reputation: 1 pliznyk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ive had the same overheating problem, it seemed to help when i key banged while driving, the temp would drop right back down after starting it back up. then I found that my fuse was blown, so i changed that and checked for the problem that could cause the fuse to blow, finding that the wiring to the fans had been melted by the header, i pulled the whole harness and began to seperate and repair the wires. ive hard wired my fans and they do work but im yet to hear them kick on on thier own. i got the wires hooked back up, and still nothing. i have noticed though that when my car first starts overheating and i check out the coolant im a little below minimum, i fill it and then im good for another week. as long as i add water once a week keeping the tank full, to the max line. i have no problems. im gonna try changing out the coolant cap, that makes sense to me cause ive had similar problems with older vehicles and thats all it was is the radiator cap. i also need to check the relay. hope ive helped someone get further in thier own diagnostics, you've all helped me. ill keep you informed as i progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #72
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lduran View Post
I replaced the coolant tank and lid because I noticed that there was a very small amount of coolant coming from the side of the tank. When I took it off, I found a small hairline crack. The car has not overheated since then, but today, towards the end of my commute, I noticed the temp gauge move a bit. When I got home, I place the car in park and opened the hood. The coolant level was fine, but I saw two small bubbles form in the tank (like it was going to start boiling). I went back and looked at the gauge and it had moved just a little bit towards hot, but not much. I turned the car off and felt all three hoses that come off the over flow tank and they were all scorching hot. Also, the tanks itself was pretty hot. Does anyone have any more ideas? I would hate to change out the spark plugs only to find out that it still does it. I like my car and would love to keep it, especially since it is paid for, but after $700 in repair bills in the last two months, I have to know when to throw in the towel. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Darn, I haven't checked to see if I mentioned that rare problem or not, but a leak from the coolant fill tank or the fill tank cap will cause you to over heat. That's one of the first things I check for weird problems.

The spark plug crack is a VERY RARE problem- one in a million, so don't be surprised if it's not your problem.

Have you flushed your radiator yourself? It's really not hard, all you have to do is remove the upper and lower hose, then use a garden hose to force water through the radiator until it is no longer full of rust. Reverse flushing is simply putting the garden hose on the lower radiator hose and trying to push enough water backwards to come out the top.

A radiator shop can pressure test your radiator for you and bench flush it, but you'll have to remove it. As far as a mechanic shop, they are going to do basically what I wrote about as removing the radiator to bench flush it would be too much labor.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #73
lduran
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18554
What I Drive: '02 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 lduran Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I did flush the coolant out before the water pump was replaced. The coolant has not a vibrant green, so I was hoping that was my problem, but the condition still exists. I used one of the Prestone Coolant system flush products when I did mine. Not sure what else to try except to change out the spark plugs. I will be going out of town this week, but will look at doing this as soon as I get back.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #74
lduran
Focus Enthusiast

Just a quick update. I had to go pick up some stuff for my work today and I had been driving around for around 30 minutes when at a stop light, I noticed the gauge start to move slightly towards hot. I pulled into a parking lot and the gauge moved most of the way over. I opened the hood and the coolant seemed fine. I turned the car off and then turned on the defroster and moved the temp to cold. I tried to start the car and it would not turn over. I turned off the fan and it started right away. There is no check engine light on or anything. I continued on my way back to the office like normal. After work, towards the end of my commute, I noticed the gauge start to creep over at stop lights. As soon as I started moving, it would go back to normal. It was around 80 degrees here in KC today and am worried that once summer hits, this car is going to go nuts. Anybody have any new insights?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #75
lduran
Focus Enthusiast

Bump
Old 05-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #76
dc_johnson45
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 14367
FF Reputation: 1 dc_johnson45 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lduran View Post
Just a quick update. I had to go pick up some stuff for my work today and I had been driving around for around 30 minutes when at a stop light, I noticed the gauge start to move slightly towards hot. I pulled into a parking lot and the gauge moved most of the way over. I opened the hood and the coolant seemed fine. I turned the car off and then turned on the defroster and moved the temp to cold. I tried to start the car and it would not turn over. I turned off the fan and it started right away. There is no check engine light on or anything. I continued on my way back to the office like normal. After work, towards the end of my commute, I noticed the gauge start to creep over at stop lights. As soon as I started moving, it would go back to normal. It was around 80 degrees here in KC today and am worried that once summer hits, this car is going to go nuts. Anybody have any new insights?
This is so exactly like my problem. I just changed the water pump and noted the same behavior - on increasing the RPM the temp drops quickly. This makes me wonder if there isn't a flow restriction somewhere? When the car is running hot, and I pop the hood & look in the coolant reserve tank the coolant is dribbling out. I'm not sure how it should be flowing there - but if the engine is hot, shouldn't it be chugging away?
Old 05-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #77
lduran
Focus Enthusiast

I found a post on another focus web site where other people were discussing similar symptoms. I used the part numbers posted to find other posts (including on this site). I replaced a resistor (one poster called it a thermistor) and the wiring harness today. Hopefully this will cure my problems. Below are the part numbers. I pulled my resistor in hopes that the issue being discussed was my problem and it sure looks like it. I am attaching images for your review. If you want to check your resistor, it is located in between your fans and sticks out a bit. There are little metal wires that are copper in color around it. Use a flat head screw driver and press on the wire and the plug will come right out. It took me a while to figure that part out. Next just pull the resistor out from the little plastic clips.

Resistor - F5RZ-8L603-AC

Harness - YS4Z-8C290-GB (You can buy just the plug for half the price if you want to crimp it on. I purchased the whole harness because I wanted to be on the safe side)

Below are pictures of what mine looked like and the location. Sorry for the dirty engine bay. A lot of dirt has collected ever since I had coolant spray all over. A hose came off the coolant overflow tank. I have since placed a clamp on it

Old 05-05-2009, 06:20 AM   #78
dc_johnson45
Focus Rookie

I changed my resistor as well, and it didn't help - but your plug looks a lot worse than mine. Did you determine that your fans were not coming on correctly? I believe that is what the resistor controls.

I have been having a problem with my DPFE sensor - when I do the bypass on the FocusHacks site, things run a lot better - the engine doesn't run anywhere near as hot. Not that I think this is the solution, but it is def. part of the problem.

I also am going to try a lower temp thermostat. Mine is currently 195F & I bought a 180F. Again, I don't think this is the problem, but I'm looking more at managing the problem. I really don't want to dump lots of $$ into this car.

BTW, the car has been to the dealer 3 times, exact problem and each time been 'fixed'. They have always charged me quite a bit of $$, and never admitted they have not fixed it. I'm completely fed up with them...
Old 05-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #79
lduran
Focus Enthusiast

I thought that the fans were running correctly, but by the look of the plug, I doubt it. I took my car into a mechanic four times too and they swapped out the thermostat twice and the coolant sensor twice, but they never thought to look at the sensor. So far my car has not over heated, but it has been in the 60's around here.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #80
dc_johnson45
Focus Rookie

Do you ever use the dashboard diagnostic mode to monitor the temp? If not, could you try & see how hot the engine gets? Mine was up around 116C today (which is like a hairline before the redline), but I get no warnings, no light with the ! in it, etc... I'm just curious what kind of readings yours is giving out...

Also - I'm gonna take a second look at my plug - just to make sure. I know both of my fans are kicking on tho...

Bookmarks & Social Networks