East Coast Performance Driving Schools - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
East Coast Performance Driving Schools

All -

As enthusiasts, we are proud of our cars and have a certain bias in terms of how we compete with the rest of the "mainstream". We polish, tweak, drive and modify our cars with great pride. However, for most of us, the local constabulary poses a real problem to learning the limits of our cars and ourselves as drivers. So, how do we overcome these challenges?

Performance Driving Schools.

I'm not talking about a trip to the drag strip. While fun, its hard on the car, hard on parts and is over almost as soon as it starts. Just my opinion, but when the light turns green, anyone can drive in a straight line.

The SVT wasn't built for this purpose. It was built to attack the twisty parts of our favorite roads. Or in this case, some of the better known road courses and autocross series.

I am a senior instructor with a number of clubs in the Northern VA area and I travel with the clubs to a number of tracks, both for competition and instruction. One thing that all the clubs are faced with is getting enough participants to cover track rentals and lot fees. Not to mention to spread the enjoyment of performance driving.

It is a real eye opening experience to take what you "think" you know about driving and learn the stark reality that you aren't as fast as you "think" you are and then the satisfaction that comes with experience and coming to KNOW how fast you can be. I am amazed every time I go out at what I thought I knew and being proven wrong until someone can show me a better way.

So, below, you will find a partial list of autocross (solo racing) and track events on the central east coast that are well worth checking out. The events are reasonably priced from $30 - $350 for a weekend of track time with a qualified instructor. All events are open to every kind of car.

May 4-5: Summit Point, Shenandoah Circuit. 2.5 mile track with 19 turns. PERFECT for the focus. This is your opportunity to run down Cobras!

May 21st: Summit Point, Full Course. 2.5 mile track with 10 turns. Arguably one of the most technical tracks on the East Coast

June 14-15: Virginia International Raceway (VIR), Full Course. 3.7 mile track with 20 turns. Most gorgeous facility I've ever seen and FAST. My stock focus pulls 123 MPH down the long back straight.

August 4-5: Summit Point, Shenandoa Circuit. 2.5 mile track with 19 turns. PERFECT for the focus. This is your opportunity to run down Cobras!

The SCCA offers a full autocross series, but there is often a waiting list and no guarantees that you will be able to run. So, I choose to run with the Greater Washington Sector Mercedes Benz Club. They offer 8 autocrosses with a minimum of 6 runs (you only get 3 with SCCA).

Visit http://www.gws.mbca.org and click on events for the full schedule.

The SVT Owners Association is working on adding more track dates at Nelson Ledges, Beaver Run, Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glen. I will post these dates as they become finalized.

For the events listed above, I am your POC and can assist with getting you registered.

Also, if you have any questions, feel free to post them here or send a private message and I will get you my contact information so that we can discuss further.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Tom

"Happiness is trailing throttle oversteer...unless you drive a focus"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
JShep
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35500
What I Drive: 2002 Liqiud Gray ZX3 SC'd

FF Reputation: 1 JShep Good Standing Member
I live in N. Va in Fairfax and am interested in some more information, however, the website link is not working for me. If you can direct me somewhere where I may get the cost and locations of the event that would be very helpful. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
My Mistake-

The web site should read

http://www.gws-mbca.org

That should get you pricing information for all but the SVTOA events. That information hasn't been made available to me yet. I expect that I should hear in the next 2 weeks or so.

Last year, 2 days was $275.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Summit Point is located near Winchester, VA and is about a 1 hour drive from Fairfax. I live in Centreville, so about the same.

VIR is in Southwest Virginia beyond Charlottesville and is about a 4-5 hour drive from Northern VA.

Beaver Run and Nelson ledges are in PA and take about 3-4 hours to get there.

Mis-Ohio is 10 hours by car. Watkins Glen in upstate NY is also about 10 hours by car.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 152 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeAsp View Post
All -

I'm not talking about a trip to the drag strip. While fun, its hard on the car, hard on parts and is over almost as soon as it starts. Just my opinion, but when the light turns green, anyone can drive in a straight line.

The SVT wasn't built for this purpose. It was built to attack the twisty parts of our favorite roads. Or in this case, some of the better known road courses and autocross series.
Now wait just a Second !

I relay like the part about "anyone can drive in a straight line" So you think you can take my ZX3 Focus and make a 10 Sec pass down the 1/4 mile with out a problem , Like a Sunday drive , Im guessing you Wife could do the same thing right after your pass ? I think you have been driving in circles to much

Why do you feel the SVT wasent built for the Drag strip , The Car doesent know where its performing the suspension works very well for the Drag Strip , My SVT has been a 12.99 @ 111 , This same SVT has made a 152.2 MPH on the front stretch at VIR on a GPS on stock Conti tires , Good tires and breaks and a 160 could of been had , slicks and 12.50 could of been had at the strip

The point is the SVT works well for about everything i have put it through , even know a customer that is dirt track racing one , To come in here and say anyone can go straight and the SVT wasent ment for drag racing is an awful bold statement

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
JShep
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35500
What I Drive: 2002 Liqiud Gray ZX3 SC'd

FF Reputation: 1 JShep Good Standing Member
Thanks WeeAsp for the time distances. You're right down the street from me. Check your PM, matbe we can talk a little, I just moved down ere from MD.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Didn't mean to offend.

I agree that the SVT Focus is a VERY capable all around car. However, drag racing isn't my thing. That's why I stated that "light turns green anyone can drive in a straight line" is MY OPINION. I am also confident that the design engineers at SVT weren't focused (pardon the pun) on designing the car as a straight line go-fast machine. If that were true, they would have followed the Neon SRT-4 recipe with a big bore powerful motor up front and trimmed weight. Instead, read here STOCK SVT focus, you have a moderate powerplant (177 BHP) mated to an incredibly nimble suspension with big brakes, and a tight steering ratio. These are not things that are considered when designing a car for a drag racing environment. They certainly help, but they weren't designed for it and as a result, under utilized. The classic example is any muscle car built after 1967. Monstrous power with minimal suspension (my 69 Firebird had leaf springs in the back) and horrible brakes (the front disc brakes - an option by the way - were a mere 8 inches in diameter and were mated to drum brakes). All of the Trans Am series cars of that era were heavily modified from the originals to be able to compete in a road racing environment. The stock cars from the factory had one purpose in mind - Go fast in a straight line. The SVT focus doesn't carry any of that lineage.

I know that there are others who feel differently and VERY strongly, as you point out, that there is much more to it than stomping the gas.

I got my start in drag racing and found that more time was spent in preparing the car between runs than working on driving skill. Take it for granted, there are things like reaction time, and shifting, but there is a minimal amount of steering in a 1/4 mile run.

Obviously, you have a very fast and capable machine and I am certain that you drive it well. You mention VIR. I am curious, which did you enjoy more, the braking zone that leads into the roller coaster section where you have to look 2-3 corners ahead, steer, brake and accelerate (lest you end up in the weeds) or streaking through the traps with the wheel straight and your right foot glued to the floor? You may enjoy both equally. I don't know, but once again, my opinion is that a road course environment is much more of a driving exercise than a drag strip.

The purpose of my comment was to stimulate interest, not start a bashing fest.

Like I said, this is an invitation to those who may not have experience with autocross or road racing. There is merit to all sides of the argument. Could I pilot a Super Stock dragster in a straight line? Probably not, but doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to try. It might even give me a different perspective and appreciation.

Once again, didn't mean to offend. We all have different interests and at least here, the common denominator is the SVT focus and how much we enjoy them. How we use them is another discussion.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing MemberWD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moved to "Racing, Rally & Autocross".
Thanks for the info Tom.

Question:
The SCCA offers a full autocross series, but there is often a waiting list and no guarantees that you will be able to run.
Is it that crowded there?
I have never known the SCCA to have a waiting list for an AutoCross event.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 152 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
No offence was taken , The SVT didnt get a Powerplant like the SRT-4 because of the Mustang , Ford isnt and will never build a Focus that will out run the Mustang and in 02 to 2004 with the power of the SRT-4 would of killed a Mustang with slight boltons

Me i like speed , If i want to go through turns i do it on the dirt track or drifting and do it sideways , If you want a thrill hit the end of the straight on dirt track at 100+MPH , tap the breaks to set the car up (sideways) and back on the gas sideways at 100 so to answer you question i like the straights and going as fast as i can with my foot glued to the floor

I like VIR because of its speed , Mid-Ohio was ok but anything smaller then that wouldnt do much for ME , I know a lot of guys that love it and i support them , It was just the attitude that Drag racing is easy and something anyone can do that i had to respond to

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Response to the SCCA comment regarding a wait list. In the DC area, it is next to impossible to get a slot if you intend to "arrive and drive". There is pre registration and waiting lists. It's a mess at times. Not sure about in Montana, but if you can get in then that is great and I would encourage you to do as many events as possible.

Tom -

I understand where you are coming from. So, please come out and play. If you have never been to any of Summit Point's tracks, I think that you will be impressed. The main circuit has the speed you are looking for with a main straight just under 3/4 of a mile that ends in a hairpin turn. The turn 4-5 complex is a real test of nerve. Down hill and off camber, it is about the length of a football field, but cars reach 100+ MPH and it ends in a 90 degree left hand turn. Pucker factor of 9.8 , don't lift or we'll be pulling you out of the trees and or the tire wall.

PM's forthcoming.

P.S. I am also a Tom.

Bookmarks & Social Networks