Best short shifter - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Which short shifter is best?
Steeda 39 42.39%
Pro 5.0 0 0%
CFM 16 17.39%
B&M 13 14.13%
Ford Racing 15 16.30%
Other??? 9 9.78%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
focusonthefocus
Gan-San!

Fan#: 1411
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 5 focusonthefocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yf22k View Post
but its only a shorter handle...not a true short THROW shifter. The frpp/steeda changes the pivot point so that the actual shifter movement is shorter without reducing handle length much
I agree with you! But, Black, he means chopping the stock shifter is not superior to the FRPP. Not only because of the design put into the pivot points and what not, the material used is also very important. Looking at the Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter, the metal ball at the base is made of... well... metal. The stock shifter has a plastic ball. Plastic is much more maliable and the throws do not feel as notchy or tight. You could best describe it as, "Loosey goosey, baby... loosey goosey." (ref. Jack Black; "School of Rock") Huge performance difference made by difference in material and design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowymo View Post
The best short shifter is the stock shifter..
Well... if you're on a budget, yes. But if you have a bit of cash... then no.

Focus on the Mountain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
yf22k
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38054
What I Drive: Blue 2002 ZTS, Black 2003 SVT Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 yf22k Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusonthefocus View Post
Yep. As well as the material used is also very important. Looking at the Ford Racing Short Throw Shifter, the metal ball at the base is made of... well... metal. The stock shifter has a plastic ball. Plastic is much more maliable and the throws do not feel as notchy or tight. You could best describe it as, "Loosey goosey, baby... loosey goosey." (ref. Jack Black; "School of Rock") Huge performance difference made by difference in material and design.
forgot about that...yeah the frpp/steeda sts really tightens up the shifting. Very little wiggle when you are in gear. It feels a lot more solid than the stock shifter
Old 02-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
allen_rubin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36836
What I Drive: 2004 Cloud 9 ZX3 W/05 FE

FF Reputation: 1 allen_rubin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
The best one youll ever find would be a CUSTOM one :) I was short on cash so i cut off a bit and rethreaded it..... its the best thing ever!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Thanks for all the responses so far...now if the FRPP/Steeda shifter is the same thing, howcome on www.c-f-m.com , one is $30 more than the other? Is it because, like somebody said earlier, one comes with parts and the other doesn't?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #15
Algorhythm

Fan#: 20623
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3, 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R 636

FF Reputation: 105 Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algorhythm View Post
FRPP and Steeda are the same. One comes with the mounting hardware, the other needs to be swapped.
I was the first reply and it answers your last question.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:23 PM   #16
Lysaof
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43697
What I Drive: 2001 Grey ZX3 S2

FF Reputation: 1 Lysaof Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The pivot for the short throw is where all the shorter throw work actually comess into play. Is it not? If thats true then does the length of the shifter in essence even matter?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:33 AM   #17
yf22k
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack03 View Post
Thanks for all the responses so far...now if the FRPP/Steeda shifter is the same thing, howcome on www.c-f-m.com , one is $30 more than the other? Is it because, like somebody said earlier, one comes with parts and the other doesn't?
I've seen both a steeda and frpp. They came in the same packaging and with all the same parts. so i believe they're exactly the same. That's the first time i've heard they came with different parts. however, I have the frpp installed in my car and the shift assist plate snapped(maybe due to cold?). Its rare but happened. Anyway, CFM told me to contact steeda for a replacement. Steeda sent a replacement right away even though I told them it was frpp. I have read somewhere that someone got a steeda one that was preassembled. not sure though. Basically there is an included pin that needs to be installed to fit the reverse lockout
Old 02-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #18
Algorhythm

FF Reputation: 105 Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member
I've always been under the impression that Steedas came assembled, which cost a little bit more, while FRPPs came as just the shifter, that you would have to slide it in what you already have.

Where in LI are you?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #19
yf22k
Focus Enthusiast

i guess that's why i heard the steedas were pre assembled...still not worth the extra money. The only assembly is installing the reverse lockout with a pin which is a no-brainer.

I'm in Bethpage and yes I know about the meet near the source mall...just never have time to get there. I work in the city and usually hang out late into the night. saturday i'm usually running errands. Hopefully i'll be able to pop in eventually on a saturday afternoon.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #20
Algorhythm

It's actually at West Babylon now.

Check the LI Foci forum.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->