Mounting Kit / Pioneer Deck Question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
wookieloou
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 6148
FF Reputation: 1 wookieloou Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mounting Kit / Pioneer Deck Question

I bought a simple Metra mounting kit for my 02 Focus for my Pioneer Premier DEH-P560MP. It was easy installing everything until we got to the point where we needed to brace the deck inside and have it fit in there tightly. The only thing we could figure out with what we had was to let the deck sit with the outer face cover over the outside of the mounting kit edge, holding it hanging there. There is nothing from preventing it from being pulled out, or sliding around. With enough of my frantic driving the front face place of the deck started popping off, thus having nothing holding the deck in place in the HU. It's become very frustrating and I'm wondering if anyone with this premier deck or something close to it logistically would recommend some way of mounting it snug into my HU. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2004, 06:44 PM   #2
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
are you sure you have the mounting kit in the right way? the mounting kit goes in after you put the hu in the cubby, make sure the trim ring is off the radio, it comes off pretty easily, self explainitory i think but check the manual if you are having trouble. after the trim ring is off and the installation kit isn't on or anything, slide the radio (everything completed, connected, and ready to go) near the top of the cubby and then the installation kit peice slides in on top of everything and snaps into to place securely. this is what it should look like when install is complete http://www.jwardell.com/focus/images/hu5.jpg . By the way, be careful if you are taking the installation kit in and out alot becuase the tabs on the sides of it that snap into place can make it difficult to remove the installation kit when installed, so take your time if you need to take it off so you don't break any of the tabs.

- Scott
Old 04-12-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
wookieloou
Focus Rookie

I don't see how you're explaining the order. The mounting kit came with no directions other than to trim two of the tabs that are used for the cougar model. I understand that the HU slides into the mounting kit before it snaps into place. My queston lies when I am trying to secure the HU in the mounting kit, because the only thing that it keeping it into place is the outer trim. I don't see how it can stay snug and fit if there is nowhere to screw anything or secure it. If I take the outer trim off the HU just falls back into the car as it sits on top of the cubby of the mounting kit. What mounting kit is that? It looks slick and I'm wondering if it would be better than this shit I'm going through.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
ooo, i am pretty sure that you have the scosche installation kit, i think that's the one can you get from best buy. i never liked that kit, i think i remeber haing the same problem, i think there is some sort of backstrap for the radio taht you need to put on it but i can't really remember sorry, the picture i showed you was the metra kit, avaiable at www.thezeb.com with free shipping, just do a search for "focus". good luck,

- Scott
Old 04-14-2004, 12:26 AM   #5
sudgalvas
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 997
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Met Titanium 5Dr

FF Reputation: 2 sudgalvas Good Standing Member
Re: Mounting Kit / Pioneer Deck Question

Quote:
Originally posted by wookieloou
I bought a simple Metra mounting kit for my 02 Focus for my Pioneer Premier DEH-P560MP. It was easy installing everything until we got to the point where we needed to brace the deck inside and have it fit in there tightly. The only thing we could figure out with what we had was to let the deck sit with the outer face cover over the outside of the mounting kit edge, holding it hanging there. There is nothing from preventing it from being pulled out, or sliding around. With enough of my frantic driving the front face place of the deck started popping off, thus having nothing holding the deck in place in the HU. It's become very frustrating and I'm wondering if anyone with this premier deck or something close to it logistically would recommend some way of mounting it snug into my HU. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
I used the same kit in my car. The kit came with a "backbrace" similar to what is on the back of the stock radio. The only way to utilize that and get the radio to mount in the dash was to cut about 2/3 of the bottom radio sleeve out to allow you to get the radio in the dash with the backbrace attached. Once it was cut, I could mount the sleeve to the dash and then slip the radio into the sleeve, making sure the backbrace slid into the bracket.

I drive my car aggressively, and have never had any problems with the radio.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:26 AM   #6
wookieloou
Focus Rookie

mine didn't come with any backbraces... i was at fry's today and they have that metra kit, i think i bought a different brand, it was a cougar/focus combo with very minimal instructions. does the metra come with a back brace? i am looking inside of the car and i dont see exactly where or how you would mount any kind of back brace... the end of my deck has this rubber stopper thing as though its supposed to sit on something to support it, but theres nothing back there. hrm.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
sudgalvas
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 997
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Met Titanium 5Dr

FF Reputation: 2 sudgalvas Good Standing Member

The backbrace is the tab "thingie" behind the dash kit.

At the bottom of your radio, you should see a similar slot holding device. Most likely it is white in color. As the radio is pushed into place the brace slides on to the metal channel inside the dash.

Bookmarks & Social Networks