planning to turbocharge need help though - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
ineedtafocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 40300
What I Drive: nothing interesting

FF Reputation: 1 ineedtafocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
planning to turbocharge need help though

i have a couple of questions. 1) I am planning to geta t/c this early summer, but i just need help because i dont know who has the best numbers and price, i.e:xois, focussport, precision turbo, just to name some, and who you all think i should go with, because like i said i dont have a clue about them. i want to be hitting around 230-245 whp. 2)I was wondering what would be best svt.header w/ hi flo cat or, offroadpipe, and which would be best for the turbo. and lastly 3)if i go with an orp could i get a tune to take the cat's program out of the ecu,so it could pass emisions?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
ineedtafocus
Focus Addict

also it is a 2000 with 68k do you think that would be a bad idea to turbo? or could it take the pressure?
Old 02-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
cayres
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 35184
What I Drive: 03 Comp Orange EAP SVT, 06 ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 8 cayres Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
header is a no go with a turbo, hfc will restrict, go off road if keeping stock exhaust...you will fail emissions with that...no way around it unless you keep the cat
Old 02-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
rrmike1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35239
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 rrmike1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
A traditional header is not an uption with a T/C kit. They usually come with their own manifold designed to accept a T/C. The exhaust side of the T/C is usually adapted to your existing exhaust or an aftermarket one of your choosing. If you live in a state with emission testing, you will need a cat. You could always bolt it on instead of welding it on so you could swap it out after testing.

Michael
Old 02-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
ineedtafocus
Focus Addict

yeah but couldnt i get it tuned fpr no cat, so i could pass emissions? and which turbo setup would be the best you think? all you ppl that already have t/c setups...
Old 02-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
rrmike1
Focus Enthusiast

Indeed...you can get it tuned with or without. If you have it tuned without and can pass emissions just by adding the cat, that would be awesome. I'm thinking you made need a different tune with the cat on to pass emissions. I don't have much experience in that field since I live in Fla. Maybe someone who has to deal with emissions issues can chime in. We are so lucky down here!!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
cayres
Focus Fanatic

The thing is if your state uses an sniffer to check emmisions then youll be screwed no matter what tune you have...second i do not think that there is a tune for emissions and still keep no cat...youl have to put the cat on the car before the testing either way.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
rrmike1
Focus Enthusiast

I agree...there's no way to pass emissions without a cat, no matter what kind of tune. I was suggesting maybe he could tune it without the cat and put it on just before getting the sniff test. It's a long shot at best, but It would be killer if it worked.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
cayres
Focus Fanatic

if you go xios i think they do offer both cat and orp because i remember them tuning the kit both ways...of course with supersnail youll have a better tune because your getting it dyno on YOUR car and then im sure a tuner would have no problem tuning for that...thats all it will really do is lower spool time with an orp compared to a cat.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
ineedtafocus
Focus Addict

so you think supersnail would give me a better situation? as for the sniffer my state doesnt do that all they do is plug in a reader to the ecu, idk if that is the sniffer you are saying

Bookmarks & Social Networks