Powered Sub Install Questions - PZEV Wagon - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-31-2004, 01:58 AM   #1
Folkus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2539
What I Drive: Focus 2.3 Duratec SE PZEV Wagon. Mmm...

FF Reputation: 1 Folkus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Powered Sub Install Questions - PZEV Wagon

Okay, I'm going to feel really dumb asking this, but hopefully if I just suck it up and ask, your answers will wind up also helping other PZEV/'03-'04/Blau MP3 HU owners out there who don't know enough to do major surgery on their car, but who would really like to add a powered sub to get full-range sound. I bet there are a bunch of us lurking on the list!

Here's the deal: I've really tried to understand the subwoofer/blaupunkt discussion threads, but I can't seem to apply the information to my situation. I don't speak electricalese, so I kept getting lost. And my installation should be so ridiculously simply that it shouldn't be necessary. Can I just tell you what I want to do, and will you please explain it in the simplest step-by-step possible way?

MY RIDICULOUSLY MODEST MISSION: Install my 10" powered Bazooka EL10A-HP sub in the cargo area of my '04 PZEV SE Wagon with no modifications to the car's wiring, no drilling, and no cutting . (I may trade this car in for another Focus after just a couple years, so I need to keep it "as stock as possible".)

Can I achieve this mission?? What exactly will I need to do? (DidHeFocus, you have a PZEV Wagon, right? I'm hoping you especially will steer me in the right direction on this....)

1. Is there an RCA-level subwoofer output jack dangling from the back of the Blaupunkt MP3 single-disc head unit? Male, or female? If there isn't an RCA jack, can I create one with an adapter, I mean, without cutting or splicing any wires? How? (Is there a kit that plugs into the existing harness thing? Does Bazooka make one? Couldn't get them on the phone, ridiculous wait time for tech support.)

Remember this is the PZEV '04 wagon.

(I'd prefer to avoid splicing a signal from the speaker level outputs, if at all possible.)

2. How do I run a power lead from battery to cargo area without (a) cutting an opening in the firewall, or (b) cutting or damaging the upholstery? Be as specific as possible -- assume no knowledge on my part. I mean, things like:

-- Where's the hole in the firewall? Remember this is the PZEV '04 wagon.

-- Once I get it in the passenger cabin, should I unscrew the carpet trim, insert the power wire under the carpet, and screw the trim back in?

-- Where should I run it?

-- How exactly do I get it past the back seat and into the cargo area? (I'm not going to need to take the back -- or front -- seats out, am I?)

-- And once it's in the cargo area how do I conceal it?

-- Any risky (electronics interference) pathways to watch out for?

-- Hmmmm...should I let a mechanic or installer do this part for me if I'm really this clueless?

3. Should I run the sub output from the HU to the cargo area by the same route as the power wire?

4. There was a lot of talk in the other threads (example: DidHeFocus) about identifying the "sub activation" lead(s). It confused me, but happily I believe I don't need to worry about that issue because my Bazooka EL10A-HP is an autosensing sub. I mean, it turns itself on and off automatically depending on when it senses a signal. In fact, I believe Bazooka recommends letting the sub turn itself on and off. Am I correct about this? If so, this install hopefully should be easier than what the other threads described.

Thank you in advance. I will owe you guys big time.

Folkus.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2004, 02:47 AM   #2
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1704
What I Drive: 2003.5 ZTW PZEV

Points 26,532, Level 97
Points: 26,532, Level: 97 Points: 26,532, Level: 97 Points: 26,532, Level: 97
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 DidHeFocus? Good Standing Member
It's getting late so I'll try to summarize the best I can.

The Yellow connector has all the signal connections as in the diagram. I just cut mine since it's not connected to anything anyway (I hope!). You have to make your own RCA cable using the signal +, - and ground. You could probably get the connector if you look hard enough. I can give more detail on the construction if needed.

I found many posts claiming to use an existing access point to the engine compartment at the driver's door hinge somewhere. I couldn't find it or it wasn't in the '03. I than found 2 small removable plastic panels directly behind the brake pedal. I drilled a small hole through one just large enough for my power cable. I figure I can probably buy one at the dealer if I really wanted to replace it.

The wire can be routed using the existing cable duct under the drivers side kick panel and carpet. the carpet pad is very thick and can be pulled up easier if you remove the driver's seat. A torx socket will easily remove the 4 bolts. I posted the removal instructions a while back search for it if you need the specific wrench size. All the wiring can be hidden by either carpet or panels with no drilling. The back seat didn't have to come out since it folds out of the way.

Remember, a certain amount of drilling may be needed to mount your amp and can easily be patched and hidden by the carpet.

I routed all my cables together and don't see any reason why not.

If your amp has an auto signal-sensing you don't need to worry about the remote power signal.
To clarify, the amp turn-on signal situation with the Blau/Focus MP3 unit, it has a dedicated remote signal line to enable the FACTORY amp. This signal is only 4.5 volts and activates when a sound signal is present. All aftermarket amps that I know of use a 12 volt remote signal so the 4.5 volts isn't enough to turn the amp on. I used the other remote power signal located in the A connector at pin 5.

I believe I covered most of your concerns and questions. Please feel free to reply with anything that I missed or needs more clarity or specifics.

Time for bed now.

Steve
Old 03-31-2004, 02:57 AM   #3
Folkus
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you, yes, VERY helpful. It clears it up for me, and I think I'll be able to handle it.

I will check this all out this weekend. Thanks again for your generosity with your time, Steve.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:39 PM   #4
Folkus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by DidHeFocus?
If your amp has an auto signal-sensing you don't need to worry about the remote power signal. To clarify, the amp turn-on signal situation with the Blau/Focus MP3 unit, it has a dedicated remote signal line to enable the FACTORY amp. This signal is only 4.5 volts and activates when a sound signal is present. All aftermarket amps that I know of use a 12 volt remote signal so the 4.5 volts isn't enough to turn the amp on. I used the other remote power signal located in the A connector at pin 5.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks again for your help. I'm almost ready to attempt this. I've decided the Bazooka is too large -- it takes up too much cargo space and too easy a theft target in my wagon when parked in The City. So I'm going for a total stealth install of the Kenwood Woox thingy, which fits under my passenger seat and gets surprisingly affectionate reviews from owners. It should be enough for my modest needs.

Anyway, this means I no longer have luxury of an autosensing circuit. So my question is a clarification: Above, you say "I used the other remote power signal located in the A connector at pin 5." I can picture that. Are you saying that the A/pin 5 connector provides a full 12-volt trigger? I hope so...

Thanks.

Folkus
Old 04-07-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Points 26,532, Level 97
Level Up 19% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
"Are you saying that the A/pin 5 connector provides a full 12-volt trigger? I hope so..."

Yes, that is how I'm triggering my old Alphasonik amp. Conn. A, Pin 5 is 12vdc when the Head Unit is on.
Same situation here, a sub box would take up too much valuable space for me. I mounted my 10" woofer in the back under the right side cargo area panel with MDF to mount it. It's not ideal but it gets the job done.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:55 PM   #6
Folkus
Focus Enthusiast

Interesting! I just posted a question about Wagon subwoofer cargo area stealth options under a new thread. I'll hope you'll reply there with some details -- like how you get the panel off, how much of the panel you have to damage (if any), whether it looks like a sub is in there, etc... (It'll be easier for others to find if you reply there, I bet.)

Thanks...
Old 04-08-2004, 12:00 AM   #7
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Points 26,532, Level 97
Level Up 19% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I'm way ahead of you!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.