Turn Signal Silence Mod -- How To - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
W~Phoenix~{RC}
FF Bouncer

Fan#: 11450
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Frost Sport Edition ATX

FF Reputation: 1 W~Phoenix~{RC} Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Turn Signal Silence Mod -- How To

Since the link that used to have this modification is no longer available, I will post it here so that it will still be useful to those who think that their turn signal is too loud.

Description: Instructions on how to remove the buzzer that makes the turn signal noise (which is too loud on newer focuses).

Tools Needed:
Switch from vehicle (obviously)
needle-nose pliers
Several blade-type bits
Screwdriver (that takes bits)
ALTERNATIVE TO COMPLETELY REMOVING: piece of cotton

DISCLAIMER:
I take no responsibility for what can happen by you doing this mod. If done correctly, there should be no ill side effects. You are undertaking this mod on your own, so if you break any part of it accidentally do not try to blame me or focus fanatics.

Step One - Remove Turn Signal Switch
To remove the switch from the car, use the following instructions (I'm trying to recall how to do it from memory, so don't quote me on them).
# Using the flathead screwdriver, press the small tab on left and right side of the steering column cover, to release the cover and expose the stock wiper switch.
# Press and release the small tab that secures the stock turn signal switch.
# Pull out the stock wiper switch, and disconnect the electrical connector.

*Also, it's helpful to gently tug the bottom trim piece to the left while pulling up on the switch. The switch is actually underneath the trim piece, so you have to move the trim piece out of the way to get the switch out.

Step Two - Identifying the Tabs

Here are the first few tabs that you'll be prying up. These are the easiest to begin with and if you can get these loose, the others come off relatively easily.

Here are some more tabs in which to loosen.

Here are some more tabs that you should be loosening. When the switch is together, these are pretty hard to get loose unless you've gotten the other side worked open a bit.

Last tab.

Step Three - Removing Housing
In order to get the tabs loose, what you want to do is work some of the blade-type bits under the tabs and hold them there. The more that you have available to you, the better. The first time I took apart the switch, I needed a total of 4 bits to work all of the tabs out. It's tedious, but it will come apart without breaking it if you are careful.

Keep working around the switch, loosening the tabs as you go.

After you pop off the last tab, you're done with the hard part.

Gently pull apart the two halves and you'll be left with approximatly the next two images. Be careful not to loosen everything up too much or you'll have trouble getting it all back together. There will be the two halves, a switch and another small part that is the high beam activation switch.

*Be careful when separating the halves. The high beam switch may fall out, so take not as to how the switch is installed in case it falls.

This is what you are left with. This is the piece that you will be working with.

Step Four - Disable Noise Device
In these next few images, you can see what all of this is about. Here, you can see the clicker that we need to remove. If you look closely at the pictures, you will see that the two leads for the clicker are attached to the metal pieces right behind it. Grab the leads with some needle-nose pliers and twist/pull/rip the lead off of the metal plate.

* As an alternative to completely removing the clicker, you can also stuff a little bit of cotton into the hole of the clicker. This will reduce the amount of noise that the unit makes while also leaving you with a removable mod to your car.

Step Five - Reassembly
Now it's time for reassembly. But we have a slight problem. During disassembly, the high beam switch no doubt came loose. This piece must be placed before continuing or it won't work right. There are two vertical "rails" that the switch fits down on. Slide the switch into place now.

Now slide the nub on the switch into place under the high beam switch and put the switch in place.

Now that the switch is in place, begin to place the two halves together. You may have to press on the end of the one part of the switch that is white and has two white buttons on the side of it. After putting the two halves together and making sure that everything still moves like it should, reinstall it on the vehicle and verify that the switch operates correctly. Don't forget to check the high beams!

* As a variation to these instructions, rather than removing the clicker, you could simply install a piece of tape or other sound proofing over the hole to quiet it down without totally removing the sound.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Added to the 'HOW TO ARCHIVE'........ nice work Brad!!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
05-ST
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42180
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 05-ST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sounds awsome, I will be doing this mod this weekend or the next! Finally!!! Thank You
Team Duratec #75
ST Crew #59
Sedan Revolution #2
Old 01-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
sonicsvtf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32148
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic blue svt focus

FF Reputation: 1 sonicsvtf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Nice mod, heck i might even do this right now.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
sonicsvtf
Focus Enthusiast

Wow, getting the turn signal apart is a pain but the pay off is worth it.
I ended up shoving the little speaker full of cotton(about half or a third of the coton off of the end of a q-tip) and now you barely hear the thing. What a sense of accomplishment that was. About half way through i remembered i had a mini pick set from ullman in my toolbox so i busted that out and it helped alot.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
heelflip101
Get The Hammer!

Fan#: 32770
What I Drive: 2000 Mali zx3

FF Reputation: 29 heelflip101 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Wow, I have never read about this, cool diy mod.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
sonicsvtf
Focus Enthusiast

Make sure on the high beam switch that you get the little arm(knub) on the turn signal handle in the slot for the high beam switch otherwise your high beams will be on all the time.
This mod is def. worth it, thanks. rep. points comin' your way
Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
tipidy_tap_tap
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61503
What I Drive: 05' silver zx4

FF Reputation: 1 tipidy_tap_tap Good Standing Member
thank you. i cannot stand the clicking noise, i got some time im gonna do it time now.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
Bobbo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 78784
What I Drive: 2005 Biege Ford Focus ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Bobbo Good Standing Member
Just wanted to thank you for the pictures and the step by step. Did it, the whole job was done in about 15mins, but I think the blinker is too quiet now, lol. But I know how to fix that,,,,thanks so much.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
sonicsvtf
Focus Enthusiast

This mod is still holding up great and yes sometimes I think it's too quiet but a lot better then how annoying it used to be. I was afraid over a decent period of time that the cotton could fall out and bring back the obnoxiousness but not yet at least.

Bookmarks & Social Networks