ABS Question...basic - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
kwms
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 42933
What I Drive: 2004, white, Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 kwms Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ABS Question...basic

I'm the new owner of a 2004 SE wagon (50k miles). Primarily my wife's car, and our first Ford product (after 35 years of car ownership). So far we love it, especially the 30 mpg it produced on the first tank of fuel we checked. My question pertains to ABS brakes...and whether or not we have them. As has been documented, the VIN number does not reveal whether or not the car has ABS. The previous owner of our car told us the car had ABS, but he was not a technical sort. The other day when I was on an open area of road, I got up to about 45 mph and braked hard. The car would not skid, and the brakes would not "lock." And I'm sure I could feel the "pulsing" at the pedal. But here's why I bring up the question: the owner's manual says that when the car is started, the ABS light on the dash should come on momentarily, then go off. This doesn't happen. Where is the ABS module located on the car? I'd feel better if I could at least see it! For the next 10,000 mile or so, our car is covered by a zero deductible plan (transferred from previous owner) that would pay to fix any ABS issue, so if there's something wrong, I'd like to get it taken care of...even if it's as fundamental as the light not coming on. This forum has already been a great help to me...just lurking and reading.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The easiest way I feel is to look at wheel hub. Each wheel hub should have a sensor in the back. If you find an electrical wire going to something in the wheel hub, that will be an ABS sensor.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 01-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
kwms
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 42933
What I Drive: 2004, white, Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 kwms Good Standing Member
Thanks

That's a sensible answer. I was hunting around in the engine compartment trying to spot something obvious...and couldn't find it. I'm planning to pull the wheels off this week to install some mudguards. Our car is white, and it gets pretty scroungy-looking low on the fenders.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Mally-Carrison
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53412
What I Drive: 2000 green Focus 1.8 Deisel TDC Est

FF Reputation: 1 Mally-Carrison Good Standing Member
Abs

Thank you, you have answered my question also. My Focus deisel requires a new front wheel bearing and the parts shop needed to know whether it was ABS or not. There is no wires coming from anywhere on the hub assembly. Therefore I assume 'no ABS' Thanks again.
Mally

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.