car runs horible until warm-up..anyone know my problem... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
SIwisconsin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 42696
FF Reputation: 1 SIwisconsin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
car runs horible until warm-up..anyone know my problem...

ok well i have owned my ford focus for about 6 months...its a 2003 with 55000 miles on it and its a stick...well i moved to houston for school from wisconsin and the cra has ran great...but starting about a month ago...it started run like ....first it was spittin and sputtering and then the engine like came on...so i have it scaned and it was a miss fire in the first 1000 RPS...so i had the ECU cleared and it ran good for a while...but then it started all over..and so i put new plugs and wires in it...after the at was good to go...but then again...a bout a week later it started doin that again ..and the check engine light came back on...well i drove it for like 2 days and then the light came back on ...wel it was on the for day and after drivin it for like 2 hrs it went off..and never has been on since...but the thing is...i have to let the car warm up every time i want to drive it or it runs like shit up until it hits runnin temp..then it is fine...and the light isnt on anymore...just up until runnin temp it spits and spudder and missfiring or what ever its doin...so could anyone tell me what could be causing it because i dont know anyone that knows anything about focus's...also it the DOHC 2.0...thanks for the help....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #2
AcIdBuRn02ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42027
What I Drive: 2002 Twilight Blue ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 5 AcIdBuRn02ZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
1... check your plugs/wires again... check plug gap aswell btw... what plugs are you running? foci are very picky.... dont run the cheapies... if you did.... go to ford or local ford parts house and pick up a set of motorcraft double plats.... some of the best plugs you can run in a focus... and they came factory.
2... check the wiring going into the coil pack
3... might be o2 sensor... they can cause all kinds of problems... especially if its not heating properly (most o2 sensors only work at like
+400*F) dont quote the temp... not possitive... but its up there... thats why most of todays are heated
4.... i'd suggest putting the scanner back on it and seeing what it says now...
5.... also... have u replaced ur fuel filter/pcv lately? if not... go on and replace em... might aswell since you've done half the tune up already... prolly wont fix current problem... but will help prevent future ones

-AcId-

anyone else?

1987 MKIII Supra Targa
Old 01-10-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
focusownerskid
Banned

Fan#: 13302
What I Drive: '02.5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 focusownerskid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Easy way to diagnose would have been to have the code read when it popped.

- Drew
Old 01-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
SIwisconsin
Focus Rookie

i did have it scanned when it was on..and it said it was missfiring in the first 1000 RPm's...and the next time it came on i didnt even have a chance to go get it checked and it was off...
Old 01-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #5
SIwisconsin
Focus Rookie

ok...lets say it is my O2 sensor...which one would it be..the front one or the one located after my cat??
Old 01-10-2007, 11:45 PM   #6
AcIdBuRn02ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42027
What I Drive: 2002 Twilight Blue ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 5 AcIdBuRn02ZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
one up close.... but both can cause issues if i remember correctly (anyone please correct if wrong)

fuel mileage is also ushually effected when o2 sensors crap out...

what spark plugs are u running?

-AcId-

1987 MKIII Supra Targa
Old 01-14-2007, 06:25 AM   #7
bonejob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32065
What I Drive: 2006 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 9 bonejob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIwisconsin View Post
ok well i have owned my ford focus for about 6 months...its a 2003 with 55000 miles on it and its a stick...well i moved to houston for school from wisconsin and the cra has ran great...but starting about a month ago...it started run like ....first it was spittin and sputtering and then the engine like came on...so i have it scaned and it was a miss fire in the first 1000 RPS...so i had the ECU cleared and it ran good for a while...but then it started all over..and so i put new plugs and wires in it...after the at was good to go...but then again...a bout a week later it started doin that again ..and the check engine light came back on...well i drove it for like 2 days and then the light came back on ...wel it was on the for day and after drivin it for like 2 hrs it went off..and never has been on since...but the thing is...i have to let the car warm up every time i want to drive it or it runs like shit up until it hits runnin temp..then it is fine...and the light isnt on anymore...just up until runnin temp it spits and spudder and missfiring or what ever its doin...so could anyone tell me what could be causing it because i dont know anyone that knows anything about focus's...also it the DOHC 2.0...thanks for the help....

Since you have already replaced the plugs and wires, it is a nearly sure bet that the engine misfiring is but a secondary symptom caused by another problem.

This is at best an educated guess, but your engine's symptoms sound consistent with a problem with either the engine temperature sensor itself or the engine temperature circuit of which it is a part. I would do a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) data dump. If I am right, there would be these codes to look for: P1116 and P1117. These codes relate to the engine coolant temperature sensor. When an engine is cold, it needs a richer fuel/air mixture for smooth running. The ECC reads the information about engine temperature from this sensor. If the sensor or the circuit to which it is connected is faulty, the ECC gets false information about the current temperature state of the engine, causing it to set a mixture that is too lean for cold start.

The engine will sputter and misfire, etc. if it is running on a too-lean mixture. But as the engine warms up, the proper fuel/air mixture gradually leans out. That relatively leaner mixture which works poorly on the cold engine is just the ticket for the warm engine, so the engine then will gradually simmer down and run properly.

As for the Check Engine light, it will light up for any of the trouble codes I mentioned above. And misfires caused by the too-lean fuel mixture would light the Check Engine light, too. So a DTC dump would show not just the engine temperature circuit fault codes, but every misfire code as well. That the light eventually goes out makes sense because the ECC sees a warm engine as the default "normal" condition and after a period of time without any engine misfires, the light goes out... until you start again the next morning with a cold engine, that is.

This is not the ONLY thing that could be causing your problem, but this stuck out as most obvious to me. I have "enjoyed" this kind of issue myself - not with my Focus, but with another fuel-injected car I once owned. From the sound of it, I suspect the problem is more likely an intermittent engine temperature circuit (Code P1117), but it could be a range of other things causing that circuit to malfunction, including low engine coolant level, or that the sensor itself is toast. In any case, the only way to find out for sure what is happening is to get that data dump and check the fault codes.

For your edification and illumination, I suggest going to the URL below and reading up on what these codes mean. Then you will need to get your hands on an OBDII scanner and a volt-ohmmeter and follow the diagnostic tree wherever it takes you.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=engine+warmup

The problem is likely not serious, nor is the cure likely to be very expensive, but isolating exactly WHAT it is could be a real frustrating sumbitch.

Best of luck to you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks