headlight pattern problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
oldpunk78
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58269
What I Drive: 2006 ZX4

FF Reputation: 4 oldpunk78 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
headlight pattern problem

i just just can't figure out what to do here. the left side is a nokya. it looks split = . the one on the right is what it used to look like a more condensed beam. it finally rained today and i can't see very good now, lol. the light is there meaning i have enough of it, but the headlight is spreading it out too much. is there anything that can be done? (other than changing bulbs)

(sorry about the pic quality, my phone doesn't like the dark)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
josh are you running stock or projectors? i cant see why the blub would detremin light pattern.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
oldpunk78
Focus Enthusiast

^ ya, i have the oem headlights. i've even checked to make sure they were in the right place like five times now. i just don't get it. well, the only thing i haven't tried is to rotate them, but there are three prongs the bulb fits into and i don't think the bulbs can rotate though... hmmmmm?

could someone please put up a pic of what 05-07 headlight beams are supposed to look like(about 10' from something flat). maybe that will help me out. there has just got to be something that i've overlooked.

"josh are you running stock or projectors? i cant see why the blub would detremin light pattern."

^ the only thing that i can come with is to think about it like a maglite - you twist the reflector out and get a wider pattern. you are changing the angle the light hits the reflector.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
the bad visibility is prolly due to the light output being on the purple end of the light spectrum. i can see the purple hue on the garage door.
but an answer to your problem may not be so easy to come by. i can see how a bulb in the stock housing can change the light pattern. is the nokya longer or shorter than OEM? this is the only way you can get a "maglight" effect..
what wattage are the Nokya's?

where is snacky when i need him?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
oldpunk78
Focus Enthusiast

the bulbs are 5000k. a friend of mine at work has the same ones but they are h7 for his lows. they are both 80w for lows, mine are 100w for the highs. his are amazingly bright compared to mine... but his beam pattern stayed the same.

i will take one out and compare the differences between the silverstars i had in there before and the nokyas i've got now. when comparing the two originally, i noticed that they where built differently but the elements where in the same spot. maybe i didn't check them out good enough the first time. i will post pics later when i get a chance...

edit - 43 views and only 2 responses? come on guys... too many of you just lurk around out there! keyboard up! all responses are helpful!

edit x2 - i can really see after having this problem how putting hids in the stock headlights is a really bad idea. they are really touchy to light distribution. so putting hids in with 3 or 4 times the amount of light output compared to halogens with an arc shaped light source could really throw light all over the place and blind people. - just my $0.02 on hid in stock headlights...

edit x3 - alright here are some comparisons

this photo sucks but you can see where the elements are, kinda

the nokyas have a gold color outside of them that really messed up my phone...

Last edited by oldpunk78; 10-04-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
oldpunk78
Focus Enthusiast

bump

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->