Broken Cruise Control - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
SVTF_170

Fan#:
Broken Cruise Control

My cruise control hasn't worked on my '02 SVT since I purchased it last summer. Is this a common issue for this car too? My procedure to active the cruise is first turning the system on, (I get no lights saying its on) then I go to a desired freeway speed which is always above 55mph at least, then I click set on the cruise control steering wheel control. Unfortunately it doesn't hold the speed however. I have had several cars with cruise control before and I have never had an issue like this before. Anyone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
nickouellettesvt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33575
What I Drive: 2002 focus svt

FF Reputation: 2 nickouellettesvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
check the plunger on the clutch pedal...right undernieth the dash. There should be a sensor that has a spring loaded plunger to detect if the clutch is depressed or not. Check fuses to see if any are blown. Also check the cable attatched to the Throttle body to see if it came loose(the cable on the inside of the assembly). Just a few things to check first
Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
Jason2o
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36872
What I Drive: 2002 Black w/blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Jason2o Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have also been told that if your airbag system is not working correctly the CC system will not work. Check to make sure your airbag light illuminates/extinguishes and no-one has tampered with it.

Jason
Old 01-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
If the factory-installed cruise control system is anything like the retrofit Ford Racing kit for the Zetec, it really has no idea whats going on outside of the brake/clutch pedals' position and what the speed signal wire is feeding it. I would start with the TB cable and then check the wiring at the actuator, get a volt meter and see if you're missing a signal from one of the buttons or if its getting power. Its also possible that the actuator itself is dead...
Old 01-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
clock spring in the steering wheel.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
ModemJunki
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10639
What I Drive: '02 Red on Black SVTF - tuned by Hypnotic

FF Reputation: 3 ModemJunki Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinloco1 View Post
clock spring in the steering wheel.

Does the horn work?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

^
That wouldn't necessarily indicate if the clockspring is the problem or not; its fully possible that the cruise control wiring is broken but not the horn.

I'd also pull the airbag off and check if the cruise control switch plug is plugged into the clockspring. Disconnect the battery, wait 10 minutes and undo the four bolts on the back of the steering wheel to release the airbag. There are two plugs in the clockspring; one is the airbag and the other is the horn/cruise control switches.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
SVTF_170

Fan#:
The horn does work guys. Sounds like this might not be such an easy fix. I was under the assumbtion this was other known SVT issue.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Sounds like its time to break out the voltmeter and start checking wires...
Old 01-07-2007, 12:53 AM   #10
SVTF_170

Fan#:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post
Sounds like its time to break out the voltmeter and start checking wires...
Your assuming I own a voltmeter too... lol. I am used to changing turbo's and installing boost controlers... lol. This car is going to be a whole new experiance for me. Should be fun. Anyone got any advice on where to purchase a voltmeter and which specific wires to check? Also I am assuming the fuse information is in my owners manual?

Bookmarks & Social Networks