Life span of HID headlights? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Gerts
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26297
What I Drive: 04 SVTF Sonic Blue #1248

FF Reputation: 1 Gerts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Life span of HID headlights?

Have two questions;

1. Does anyone know how long our HID headlights will last?

2. What would it cost to fix them when they burn out?

One other thing, I had to get one of my headlights replaced under warranty because there was some moister inside it. Thank God it was under warranty. It was like $450-$500 to replace it! I was looking on the Ford Racing web site and found them for sale there. Does anyone know why Ford says “For off road use only”? They only sold a few thousand SVT’s with them and aren’t they on the road???

I guess I had three questions.

Click: Ford Racing

04 SVT ZX3 #1248 of 1978, 1 of 392 Sonic Blue, Build Date 02/03/04, HID, Audiophile, Moon Roof, K&N, Run Amsoil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
terrasmak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34474
What I Drive: 03 350Z Chrome Silver

FF Reputation: 1 terrasmak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Bulbs are about $70 a pair.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
turbovation
all grown up

Fan#: 29834
What I Drive: 2006 Toyota tacoma work truck

FF Reputation: 7 turbovation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
They're fairly cheap. I would recommend buying some Phillips HID bulbs if you have to. 80 bucks a pair, and you can get them in a slightly higher K. I think our stock bulbs are around 4500K (kelvin). They shine a nice shade of white with some hughs of purple. The higher you go, the more blue the lights will become...I think BMWs are around 5500...so they have a lot of blue and purple in them. The higher the kelvin, though, the lower the overall output. 5000k is probably my first choice....from Phillips. Check amazon.com when you need a new pair.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Focistang85
CloudNine88's Man

Fan#: 39225
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 SVT Blk;'08 Mazdaspeed3 Blu

FF Reputation: 32 Focistang85 Great Standing Member
They say for off-road use only because they are so bright. Laws on the road prohibit lights from being exorbitantly bright.

If I'm helpful, give me a REP Point. Click the little silver scale at the bottom of my username panel.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
Tbones00SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9982
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

FF Reputation: 10 Tbones00SE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
They say for off road use because DOT made them illegal for road use. If your car does not have HIDs headlights from the factory then it is illegal to retrofit them on the car afterward. In other words, all after market HID kits are illegal (Even if Ford made the same headlights available as an option).
Zetec Crew #73
ATX Faction #24
Mods: Volant CAI, 65mm TB, CFM Lower Mount, VF Passenger Mount, SVT Header, SVT Cat, SVT Flex, and Trubendz 2.5" exhaust, Roush Suspension, Tune and CarPC.

Last edited by Tbones00SE; 01-02-2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
iced_theater
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27026
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 iced_theater Good Standing Member
Stock HID bulbs no matter what make of car are all 4300K, the only reason they look like a higher K in say BMW or Porsche is because of the optics from the projector.

The bulbs should last 2000-3000 hours versus maybe 500 hours for a halogen bulb.

As Tbones00SE said, if the car didn't come factory equipped with HID's it is illegal to install them for road use.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
Gerts
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26297
What I Drive: 04 SVTF Sonic Blue #1248

FF Reputation: 1 Gerts Good Standing Member
That is some great info on the bulbs. At least it’s not going to cost as much to replace as I thought. Is it the optics then that also makes the light whiter, bluer, or more purple? And how does the factory get to install HID’s and the after market world can’t?
04 SVT ZX3 #1248 of 1978, 1 of 392 Sonic Blue, Build Date 02/03/04, HID, Audiophile, Moon Roof, K&N, Run Amsoil
Old 01-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
turbovation
all grown up

Fan#: 29834
What I Drive: 2006 Toyota tacoma work truck

FF Reputation: 7 turbovation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I dunno about the optics part. Mercedes and BMWs probably use different brands of bulbs or something...plus they have bi-xenon's which incorporate the Hibeam into the HID. It is weird...most cars with Xenon headlights have a very scattered artifact filled high beam...but our high beams make the same pattern as a bixenon! I don't understand.

From what I DO understand, the higher the temperature on the kelvin scale, the different the color of the light will be. Have you ever seen insanely bright BLUE HIDs? THey do not actually shine as bright as say a 4500K HID, but they look bright blue. I think they are usually between 6000 and 8000K. You have the choice of buying HID bulbs that are of different shades of white.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
Focistang85
CloudNine88's Man

Fan#: 39225
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 SVT Blk;'08 Mazdaspeed3 Blu

FF Reputation: 32 Focistang85 Great Standing Member
I hear that 3600 is perfect white.

If I'm helpful, give me a REP Point. Click the little silver scale at the bottom of my username panel.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
iced_theater
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27026
What I Drive: 2005 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 iced_theater Good Standing Member
Yep, if you were sitting inside the car all you see is a white light. If you pull up to a garage or wall you'll notice a sharp cutoff of light, that is where the blue, purple and whatever color you see happens.

The factory gets too because they have to follow DOT rules governing the way the light comes out. That is why they have the very sharp cutoff of light.

The high beam on bi-xenon is done by moving shields that are blocking the light. Again the optics decide how the light looks coming out of the bulb.

Most bi-xenon aftermarket kits use a different approach to get high beams. I've seen that they will make the actual bulb move which both horizontally back and forth, and vertically up and down. That is a really bad idea as it probably has a much greater chance for breaking and the aim will probably always be off. I've also seen where they just send more power to the bulb which doesn't move the beam at all but just makes it slightly brighter than low. Finally I have seen at least one company that makes a movable shield as it does on actual bi-xenon cars.

Turbovation is correct on the kelvin scale. Daylight is not a set color but a range of color depending on whether it's overcast skies, clear, sunrise and so on. But for all intending purposes 4300K in HID is about the whitest you'll find. They may have a slight yellow tint at first, but once they pass a certain amount of time they get whiter. 5000K would be as high as I'd go for an aftermarket kit if you want actual brightness and not just a look.

4300K is what all factory style cars come with, everything else has to do with optics.

Bookmarks & Social Networks