HOW TO: Install Electric OIL Pressure and Water Temp Gauges on 2.0L - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-31-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
HOW TO: Install Electric OIL Pressure and Water Temp Gauges on 2.0L :UPDATED:

hey all... i installed these tonight at work... i will post a BIG write up and pictures tomorrow, on new years day when i wake up. i just wanted to post this first, to give those certain individuals who have been waiting for this...

:EDITED UPDATE!:

Ok. i will be adding pictures as soon as i get time to do so... but i thought i would write up what there is to install these things....

ill start with the Oil Pressure gauge...

First starting with removing the oil filter plate and gasket, i believe the four bolts were 10mm each, a deep well and short socket are both handy here to get around everything... then after that remove the stock sensor from its place and clean the threads so there wont be any crap being pushed back into the oil filter housing... and the 2 parts i got from PepBoys to hook up the sensor for the autometer and the stock sensor were: 1/4inch NPT Nipple, part number 43252, and the 1/4inch NPT female Tee part number 43018, hook the nipple to one of the sides, then install the autometer adapter and sender in the bottom portion of the Tee, and then the stock sensor on the end of the tee. i used a few wraps of teflon tape on all threads for this. then after your done making a mess with oil spilling out of the filter like i did... so ahead and put the gasket and filter mount back into place loosely installing each of the 4 bolts you removed, then go in a zig zag pattern to tighten them back up... then all you have to do it run the wire from the sender to the gauge. i chose NOT to drill a hole in my fire wall, so i looked else where, and this is the spot where i ran both of my wires... i taped the wires and put wire loom around them to hide and protect them. but towards the bottom hinge on the drivers door there is a quarter side plug it'll probably be painted body color. you can pop it out from inside behind the kick panel to the left of the clutch pedal. i drilled a 3/8inch hole into this plug and then reinstalled the plug then ran my wiring and loom through it.

for the water temp gauge i put autometers sender adapter http://www.autometer.com/cat_accesso...il.aspx?vid=51 i cut the radiator hose in half in and installed the adapter in the upper radiator hose, i cut out a small section in the middle because the autometer piece will add length to the tubing... and then i attached a ground wire as indicated to the adapter so the sender will have a ground, then teflon'd the sender and installed it, then ran the wiring into the cabin with my oil pressure gauge wire.

after that, just follow autometer's instructions on which wires need to be hooked up where... remember test lights are your friend... i work with 12v ALOT at work. and my 45$ test light is great... its really sharp so you dont have to push hard at all to pierce a wire and see if its got power.

i would show you a picture of my wiring behind my gauges but everyone will think im mad for what i did... i used all red wires except black for the ground, Winnebago uses ALL yellow wires in their motor homes except white for ground, so i carried this idea from them and used it in this install. i just carefully marked which wires were which, and all was well...

again i will be takin pictures as soon as i can!

thanks, please post any questions you may have!

Last edited by honhon; 01-19-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
Cajun Boy876
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32579
What I Drive: 2004 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 6 Cajun Boy876 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That would be greatly appreciated. I wonder how much different it would be for a 2.3 duratec 04
Old 12-31-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing MemberEgz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Should not be different at all.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thank goodness you did electric gauges. People who use mechanical gauges in daily drivers are insane.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:43 PM   #5
honhon
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Member
i know people will be in this thread alot.. especially to find what size the fittings are for the oil pressure sensor...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
05zx4st
Focus Addict

Fan#: 13439
What I Drive: 2005 infra-red zx4 st

FF Reputation: 1 05zx4st Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
so,yeah
any info yet?
ST CREW #10
ECMOTORSPORTS.com
153whp,155wtq=9.65@74
XXXwhp,XXwtq=9.4@80 on n2o,spraying at 40mph+
totalled
Old 01-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
honhon
Focus Fanatic

sorry...been busy with work, i will try and get time this weekend to take pictures and update everything in full detail.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
mbx5brian
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31419
What I Drive: 2006 ZX4 TURBO

FF Reputation: 3 mbx5brian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
great thanks for the info
Old 01-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
05zx4st
Focus Addict

Fan#: 13439