Electrical Short 2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
scootercommuter
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 29751
What I Drive: 2001 Midnite Blue Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 scootercommuter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Electrical Short 2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE

I have a major electrical short in my electrical system that blows out fuse 32-which happens to be the tail lights, instrument lights, and the beeper for the light circuit as far as I can tell, can somebody tell me where all that particular circuit runs to, without the taillights I can't get anywhere at night. Any help is appreciated.

Dave Neumann

'01 Bajaj Legend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
Slo_Focus
AKA Fast_Focus

Fan#: 17238
What I Drive: 2007 LG ZX4, 2007 Yamaha Blue R6

FF Reputation: 14 Slo_Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
hmmm thats odd... hard to tell you where the circuit is... i would suggest getting a Haynes manual at O'Reillys or AutoZone... dont get Chilton... it will help you al ot for anything u need to do on ur car... it even has wiring diagrams...
Old 12-30-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
covert1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7314
What I Drive: '02 Liquid Grey ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 covert1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Check the wires that run from the roof of the car to the hatch. Inspect this area and see if any of the wires have gotten brittle and/or frayed.

Mine didn't fray in this exact location, but maybe 6 inches behind that; the wire was exposed and shorting on the roof. Thankfully I knew a decent small car electronics shop who replaced the bad wires for $60.

My issue caused the fuse to blow for the lights on the passenger side - but other people get different experiences, such as yours.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
rockwildr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 33233
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Red Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 rockwildr Good Standing Member
I have had the exact same problem......:(
Old 12-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #5
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
did this happen after replacing bulbs?
if so, check the base of the bulb and the scket. had this happen when i changed a bulb, not thinking i just grabbed one and stuck it in. socket was a dual contact and bulb was a single. basically i was shorting two hots together.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Congrats on 1500 Loco.

The side panels come out easily in W's, but you'll have to remove some plastic from the rear. When I had all mine off, it appeared that the wiring ran down the driver's side, and then looped up through the back pillars to the passenger side.

Ok, first off, you can easily eliminate some of your chore by noting whether or not the fuse blows with the lights on or not. Hopefully it blows when you turn the lights on- then you'll know it's the tail lights that are the problem in the circuit.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
rockwildr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 33233
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Red Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 rockwildr Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by covert1 View Post
Check the wires that run from the roof of the car to the hatch. Inspect this area and see if any of the wires have gotten brittle and/or frayed.

Mine didn't fray in this exact location, but maybe 6 inches behind that; the wire was exposed and shorting on the roof. Thankfully I knew a decent small car electronics shop who replaced the bad wires for $60.

My issue caused the fuse to blow for the lights on the passenger side - but other people get different experiences, such as yours.
Thanks covert1....i was having the exact same problem and orange,green and ground were all worn out and exposed in the picture you showed thanks saved me a couple hundered in diagnosing it
Old 01-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
covert1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7314
What I Drive: '02 Liquid Grey ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 covert1 Good Standing Member
You're welcome, rockwildr. However, another FYI:

Make sure that when you take apart that boot, you use something to seal the bottom of it. Typically, the little white plastic holder underneath gets mangled and then the bottom of the boot never makes a flat seal with the roof of the car. Now, if a dealer or trusted mechanic has taken care of this, you'll be ok.

Otherwise, if you find that you have water leaking in the back, find a sealant that cures to something rubbery in consistency, and apply it around the bottom of the boot, then close the hatch. This way you can easily cut it again if needed.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->