GD Borla SVT catback (rant follows...) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-28-2006, 04:53 AM   #1
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
GD Borla SVT catback (rant follows...)

To lay a bit of groundwork, going back to September I was hearing a faint exhaust leak coming from under the front of the car, and I dismissed it as just being a slight leak between the header and flex or flex and catback.

So then in late October I was changing my oil filter and I looked up and noticed that there were two cracks in the resonator body around the inlet pipe on my exhaust. I temporarily sealed them with some orange RTV (it lasted about three weeks) and sent an e-mail to North Coast about getting my catback replaced under Borla's million mile warranty. They replied that they weren't sure if it was covered since its sold under the Ford Racing brand, so I contacted Borla directly and they said they'd honor the warranty if I sent them a copy of the original invoice. And that's where I left it from late October to about a week ago.

For the past few weeks the leak has been getting worse, and on Christmas day I spoke with my girlfriend's dad (who restores and sells salvage title cars) about getting the cracks welded. He said that if I brought the car down and removed the exhaust he'd TIG weld it back together for me. So I figured it would be OK for a few more days...was I ever wrong. Last night my GF and I were headed out for a late dinner and we were sitting at a red light, it cycled green and I started out, got halfway across the intersection and then my exhaust suddenly got REALLY loud, shaking the floor and seats and drowning out pretty much any other noise. I just figured that a large hole had opened up in the resonator...when we got to the restaurant I peeked under the car from the front and the resonator was completely seperated from the pipe that runs from the flex into the resonator, and it was hanging there from tension against the pipe. I was able to baby the car to a 24-hour grocery store where I bought a length of clothesline and ran it around the exhaust and through the cabin to keep it from falling while driving, then drove the 30 miles home and dropped my car off and picked up my old '93 Ranger XLT 4.0 V6. Goodbye good gas mileage

So I just e-mailed Borla again to see what they'll do for me...I'm hoping they'll be able to just replace the resonator section so I can have a straight piece of pipe made at an exhaust shop to replace it for the time being. I'm not entirely sure what happened, I do have a 2.5" flex installed that has a normal flex section as well as a VF rear mount, so I wouldn't think that the engine is pushing or pulling on the exhaust any more than it would with a stock configuration. Hopefully Borla will come through with this.

I'll keep everyone posted with what happens, I don't think I've ever heard of Borla's warranty being challenged. I'll post up some pictures when I get the chance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.