Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Any drop possible without affecting the ride?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Geezer 
#1 ·
Newbie looking to buy a 2007 ST with a couple of quick questions. I’ve done a lot of searching in here but having a bit of trouble tying everything together. Any help appreciated!

I’m going to buy a 2007 ST, and would like to know if I wanted to drop the vehicle (for cosmetic reasons only), but DO NOT want to ruin the ride, any recommendations? I’ve done a lot of research on the site (especially the ‘Official Suspension Thread’) but I seem to be a bit of an oddball in here, as I’m really worried ‘bout ruining the ride, and the first post in the suspension thread looks promising, but it’s for an SVT, not an ST (‘course only a .75 inch drop may not be enough on an ST).

‘Course, I realize I may not be able to drop the vehicle at all without denigrating the ride, but am looking for someone with experience along the lines of my goals! I like ‘bout everything about the Focus ST except the fact that from the side it looks like some huge gaps in the fender wells!

And of course I realize I may not be able to drop it at all without negatively affecting the ride quality. [:(]

#2 ·
I have an 06 ST with half of an eibach prokit installed (rear only cuz I can't figure out the fronts). I agree it sits like a bus. Honestly, I don't think there is much you can do that won't affect the quality of the ride. The pro kit is a modest drop at 1.2/1.6 drop front/rear. I can't really tell if the ride is worse or not, but alot of the body roll is minimized.

Oh, there are special kits out for the 06+ because they changed the knuckle or something so svt springs won't work on ur car.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply…hopefully I’ll get a few more, but I’m not expecting much in the way of answers for my particular problem-there probably is no solution?

BTW…iff’n I had my ‘druthers, there’s a good chance I’d opt for the SES instead of the ST simply for the gas mileage (37 vs. 32), possibly better ride, and I kinda like that new two-tone leather interior apparently available only on the SES (dark gray bolsters, silver inserts).
‘Course, I really hate the black door handles/mirrors on the SES (you just know they’re gonna fade), I can’t find an SES with a 5-speed in order to compare the 2.0 to the 2.3 (AFA NVH), and I can’t even come close to finding an SES spec’d like I’d want on a dealer’s lot!
I’m kinda leaning towards the ST by default…hell, my first choice was a wagon but since you can’t get some stuff I want on a wagon and the ST has a large trunk…

#4 ·
Whenever you drop a car by using shorter springs the suspension travel is diminished. The lowering springs are necessarily stiffer to reduce the chance of "bottoming out" due to this reduced travel. So, no, there is no way to drop a car and maintain the "ride".

BTW, the STV suspension I put on my 05 SES significally stiffened the ride but I like it that way.[:)]

#5 ·
You might want to look for a progressive rate spring. The trick will be to find one that starts at or near the stock rate and "gradually" firms up. I do not have th ST spring rates at my finger tips but I believe thay are somewhere between a ZX3 and a SVT (probably closer to the ZX3...but I could be wrong). ZX3 rates are 110 lb/in front and 117 rear. A SVT is 129 front and 157 rear.

I found these in my info collection but I'm not sure if they are available for a 2007..... Bat inc, 121-165 front and 138 to 184 rear. Dynamic Suspensions, 111-160 front and 100-280 rear. Some important info that does not show up in these numbers is how quickly they firm up. On a flat smooth road both should offer a near stock ride. Some phone calls to either company may be the way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.