Any drop possible without affecting the ride? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
basicblur
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41965
What I Drive: '04 Overland, '03 Ranger, ZX-6R

FF Reputation: 1 basicblur Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Any drop possible without affecting the ride?

Newbie looking to buy a 2007 ST with a couple of quick questions. I’ve done a lot of searching in here but having a bit of trouble tying everything together. Any help appreciated!

I’m going to buy a 2007 ST, and would like to know if I wanted to drop the vehicle (for cosmetic reasons only), but DO NOT want to ruin the ride, any recommendations? I’ve done a lot of research on the site (especially the ‘Official Suspension Thread’) but I seem to be a bit of an oddball in here, as I’m really worried ‘bout ruining the ride, and the first post in the suspension thread looks promising, but it’s for an SVT, not an ST (‘course only a .75 inch drop may not be enough on an ST).

‘Course, I realize I may not be able to drop the vehicle at all without denigrating the ride, but am looking for someone with experience along the lines of my goals! I like ‘bout everything about the Focus ST except the fact that from the side it looks like some huge gaps in the fender wells!

And of course I realize I may not be able to drop it at all without negatively affecting the ride quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have an 06 ST with half of an eibach prokit installed (rear only cuz I can't figure out the fronts). I agree it sits like a bus. Honestly, I don't think there is much you can do that won't affect the quality of the ride. The pro kit is a modest drop at 1.2/1.6 drop front/rear. I can't really tell if the ride is worse or not, but alot of the body roll is minimized.

Oh, there are special kits out for the 06+ because they changed the knuckle or something so svt springs won't work on ur car.
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 12-25-2006, 06:49 PM   #3
basicblur
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41965
What I Drive: '04 Overland, '03 Ranger, ZX-6R

FF Reputation: 1 basicblur Good Standing Member
Thanks for the reply…hopefully I’ll get a few more, but I’m not expecting much in the way of answers for my particular problem-there probably is no solution?

BTW…iff’n I had my ‘druthers, there’s a good chance I’d opt for the SES instead of the ST simply for the gas mileage (37 vs. 32), possibly better ride, and I kinda like that new two-tone leather interior apparently available only on the SES (dark gray bolsters, silver inserts).
‘Course, I really hate the black door handles/mirrors on the SES (you just know they’re gonna fade), I can’t find an SES with a 5-speed in order to compare the 2.0 to the 2.3 (AFA NVH), and I can’t even come close to finding an SES spec’d like I’d want on a dealer’s lot!
I’m kinda leaning towards the ST by default…hell, my first choice was a wagon but since you can’t get some stuff I want on a wagon and the ST has a large trunk…
Old 12-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
GaryS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32600
What I Drive: 2005 Yellow ZX3, 1990 Mazda Miata (

FF Reputation: 4 GaryS Good Standing Member
Whenever you drop a car by using shorter springs the suspension travel is diminished. The lowering springs are necessarily stiffer to reduce the chance of "bottoming out" due to this reduced travel. So, no, there is no way to drop a car and maintain the "ride".

BTW, the STV suspension I put on my 05 SES significally stiffened the ride but I like it that way.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
You might want to look for a progressive rate spring. The trick will be to find one that starts at or near the stock rate and "gradually" firms up. I do not have th ST spring rates at my finger tips but I believe thay are somewhere between a ZX3 and a SVT (probably closer to the ZX3...but I could be wrong). ZX3 rates are 110 lb/in front and 117 rear. A SVT is 129 front and 157 rear.

I found these in my info collection but I'm not sure if they are available for a 2007..... Bat inc, 121-165 front and 138 to 184 rear. Dynamic Suspensions, 111-160 front and 100-280 rear. Some important info that does not show up in these numbers is how quickly they firm up. On a flat smooth road both should offer a near stock ride. Some phone calls to either company may be the way to go.

Bookmarks & Social Networks