which supercharger is better? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-03-2004, 02:49 PM   #1
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
which supercharger is better?

I ve been saving up for a supercharger since i bought my svt focus, and i am very much into anticipation for one.
But my problem is that there are two superchargers, and i dont know which to go with
Does anyone have any suggestions on whether i should go with Jackson Racings Eaton Supercharger, or Vortech's blower supercharger...?

so far people tell me that the Jackson Racing SC is more reliable and easier to bolt on...
ANY ONES THOUGHT ON THIS MATTER?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
MuDvAyNe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 4908
What I Drive: 2003 cd-silver svtf

FF Reputation: 1 MuDvAyNe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I guess it's all about how much money you want to spend and how fast you want to go.
If you want power and risk of breaking your motor you can go with the vortech super charger.
And most likely if your not good with tools well you'd probally don't what the vortech.unless
your willing to put a couple of grand into paying someone to do it. Jacksonracing is a more safe supercharger to go with, cheaper, and not more likely to break something. And much
easier to install.I personally have been thinking of getting a jacksonracing supercharger and
getting a NOS kit for my car that way I don't have all that power all the time I have to drive my car all year long and I don't know about you but I don't want to be driving 276hp in the snow.I'd rather be driving about 200hp in the snow and driving about 235hp at the dragstrip with a NOS kit.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
blanezx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 764
What I Drive: 03 twi-blue zx3

FF Reputation: 5 blanezx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
pm me for a price on the s/c.. i'll hook ya up

FR stg 2 cams, UR cam gears, FC 65mm TB, ported 2k manifold, 50lb injectors, FC race header, Bosal flex, Borla catback, Zex, Procharger, Xcal2
Old 04-04-2004, 10:25 AM   #4
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey guys thanks for the info. Then i'm stickin with the Jackson Racing SC. I would like to keep my car for a long time as a fun fix up car. So longitivity is a good thing. The NOS Idea I havent really thought about putting any in. Well, thats that. Now to think about suspension...I Love to Auto Cross, so i need get better suspension Thanks Again
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:20 PM   #5
bluesvtfocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5849
FF Reputation: 1 bluesvtfocus Good Standing Member
.....how much more reliable is the JRSC than the Vortech? I understand that the Vortech puts out a LOT more hp but the boost level isnt that high.. somewhere around 8? Correct me if im wrong cause i wanna know.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:56 PM   #6
Slickshoes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5919
What I Drive: 2002 Silver/Blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Slickshoes Good Standing Member
Hey guys... Figured I'd register just to answer a few of these questions. I have had the Vortech SC for a couple months now and hopefully can address some of these issues.

Yes, the JRSC is easier to install and will provide for a more factory-like experience. The Vortech is more involved, but certainly still do-able by people with decent mechanical comprehension. Its certainly not rocket science, but its not a simple bolt-on either. I fortunately did not install mine, myself, but I hear a lift makes the install much easier.

Reliability... Its hard to say. The Vortech hasn't really been out very long at all, and is still being developed. Just a week ago, Vortech announced they are upgrading the kit to now use 55 lb injectors and will be including a Predator tuning solution. All without increasing the price of the kit (freakin amazing!!!).

The Predator kit will allow the end user to fine tune the base tune Vortech preloads into the unit. This means, you hook the Predator unit to your stock ECU. Flash it. Then if you want to squeak out a little more power, head off to your local tuning shop and they (or you) can bump fuel, timing, coolant systems, fuel cut-offs/redlines, etc... Also, as you add mods, you might want/need to adjust some things, and you now have this capability. No other kit is currently offering this and its probably a $600-800 option in itself.

If you want 200 whp and feel you'll be happy with that, do youself a favor and get the JRSC. But do not fool yourself into believing the JRSC is upgradeable much above that. Being an inefficent positive displacement blower with no easy way to provide intercooling, you just don't have virtually any room to grow. Regular bolt-ons literally just do not give you any more power. Not really a problem, especially if you haven't already invested in lots of mods, but its just something to keep in mind. Most dealerships will also probably be more friendly to a JRSC'd Focus than a Vortech Focus since the JRSC is a Ford Racing product.

As for the power levels with the Vortech, there's PLENTY of room to grow. I have yet to have my car on a Dynojet since the blower went on, but compared to my baselines I gained 69% more whp and 47% more torque. Up from my baseline Dynojet dyno that's about 249 whp and 194 ft/lbs of torque. This is at 10-11 lbs of boost at redline. Also, my dyno numbers are from their smaller 42 lb injectors with a now old tune, and I'm hearing they've been able to fatten up the torque curve a bit with the new stuff.

Here's a short video I did a while back of the speedo and tach while getting on the freeway. :)
Speedo/tach video

Another kit you may want to keep an eye on is the Wolff Racing Procharger kit. Its supposed to have been released since last August, and a lot of people are tired of waiting for it, but who knows... Maybe it will come out one day. Definitely looked like another great option.
Vortech aftercooled supercharger, Maxflo bypass, 70 mm Pro-M, H&R coilovers, H&R rear sway bar, Screamin Demon, Autopower race bar, 3" Borla, J&S UltraSafeGuard, Quaife, CM Stage4 clutch, CM flywheel, SCT/FS tune
...Latest Dyno...
Old 04-06-2004, 12:04 AM   #7
liquid01
Focus Addict

Fan#: 252
What I Drive: ZX3 S2 modded--Just a touch

FF Reputation: 3 liquid01 Good Standing Member
Repost after next dyno..
Old 04-06-2004, 12:21 AM   #8
mofocus
mefocuslongtime

Fan#: 5
What I Drive: Beltfed,extra pullified,weeemachine

FF Reputation: 6 mofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
i dont think that will make enough power to need 55lbers....
Old 04-06-2004, 12:52 AM   #9
20BluSVT02
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 5932
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 20BluSVT02 Good Standing Member
HOLY MOLY...that vid made me pitch a tent!

Rob
Old 04-06-2004, 01:53 AM   #10
Slickshoes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5919
What I Drive: 2002 Silver/Blue SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Slickshoes Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by mofocus
i dont think that will make enough power to need 55lbers....
The 42 lb'ers were pretty much maxed out, and didn't have a comfortable level of safety margin, nor upgradeability. 55 lbers are now nice, and provide a fairly good level of scalability without the need to upgrade them 6 months down the line when you decide to up the boost. 55 lb, let alone anything larger, certainly aren't cheap and I'm glad Vortech decided not to give us "just enough".

The only remaining piece that needs to be upgraded now is the MAF. Currently its pegging at 6k and after that its tuned for worst case scenario. Meaning with a nice GT or Cobra MAF, there's a significantly more power to be made above that once the ECU can actually "see" what's happening.
Vortech aftercooled supercharger, Maxflo bypass, 70 mm Pro-M, H&R coilovers, H&R rear sway bar, Screamin Demon, Autopower race bar, 3" Borla, J&S UltraSafeGuard, Quaife, CM Stage4 clutch, CM flywheel, SCT/FS tune
...Latest Dyno...

Bookmarks & Social Networks