saturn astra, aka opel - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
remusrm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1250
What I Drive: 09 MS3

FF Reputation: 1 remusrm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
saturn astra, aka opel

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...33/1148/AUTO01

Saturn Astra debuts next year
U.S. version of German Opel model part of GM's strategy to develop cars using global resources.
Scott Burgess / The Detroit News
Advertisement
on error resume next MM_FlashCanPlay = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & MM_contentVersion)))
GET FREE HEADLINES BY E-MAIL
GM / Opel
Opel GT See full image
GM / Saturn
2007 Saturn Sky See full image

GM / Opel
Opel Antara See full image

GM / Saturn
2008 Saturn Vue See full image

function NewWindow(height,width,url) {window.open(url,"ShowProdWindow","menubars=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,height="+height+",width="+width); }
The Saturn Astra, a U.S. version of the Opel Astra from General Motors Corp.'s German subsidiary, will hit American showrooms next fall, GM said Thursday.
The 2008 Saturn Astra, which will be nearly identical to the 2007 Opel Astra unveiled this week at an auto show in Italy, is part of GM's strategy to share engineering and design resources between the brands to develop vehicles that will appeal to buyers in Europe and North America.
"The Astra is a great fit for Saturn, with its European style and driving dynamics," Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak said in a statement. "It also signals our efforts to get new vehicles to market quickly and reinvent the entire Saturn product lineup with unprecedented speed."
The Astra is a strong seller around the world, with sales of about 400,000 units annually.
GM is importing it to the United States as part of broader collaboration between the Opel and Saturn brands as the automaker globalizes product development to save money as well as bring vehicles to market faster.
Other examples of Opel-Saturn sharing include the Saturn Sky roadster and its sister vehicle, the upcoming Opel GT, and the Opel Antara and 2008 Saturn Vue sport utility vehicle.
"Opel and Astra complement each other nicely over most of the product range," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said Thursday.
"Since Saturn buyers are basically 'import intenders' who would have bought a foreign nameplate if not Saturn, we asked ourselves 'Why not let GM Europe design and engineer the Saturn line?'"
Lutz noted a few exceptions, though, such as the Sky and the Outlook crossover, which did not come out of Europe.
"What the Saturn buyer will find appealing is European style, inside and out; Germanic precision in exterior and interior materials and fits; and uncompromisingly sporting (but comfortable) ride, handling and steering," he said.
The Astra will be made in Antwerp, Belgium, where the Opel version is built.
It will be available as a three-door or five-door hatchback. More details will be available when Saturn introduces the Astra at the Chicago Auto Show in February, but Saturn spokesman Brian Brockman said the car will come with an improved powertrain and remain moderately priced.
"We're going to have a lot of focus on value pricing," he said.
The Astra will replace the Saturn Ion, which ends production in March in Tennessee.
Pete Hastings, an auto industry corporate bonds analyst with Morgan Keegan & Co. Inc. in Memphis, Tenn., said building the Astra for sale globally will save GM valuable capital.
"The cars coming out of the GM Design Center, they've got their act together," he said.
"They've got the right idea in going forward with the global platform for the cost savings and taking the best from around the world and putting them into these offerings."
Saturn is in the midst of a product renaissance that began with the Sky and continued with the Aura, Outlook crossover and a redesigned Vue, as well as hybrid versions the Vue and Aura.
With the 2008 Astra, no Saturn will have been in the market more than 20 months, GM said.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
"Since Saturn buyers are basically 'import intenders' who would have bought a foreign nameplate if not Saturn, we asked ourselves 'Why not let GM Europe design and engineer the Saturn line?'"

I wish Ford would read that and think the same thing about the Focus...
Old 12-08-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 25,851, Level 96
Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
yay, saturn astra is cool, and its a hatch and it looks very good. Uhh redline version anyone.

FORD ARE YOU LISTENING. GM IS GOING TO HAVE A HI PERFORMANCE HATCH IN THE STATES
Old 12-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
RedDevilST
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32797
What I Drive: 05 Focus ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 RedDevilST Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGray View Post

+123468754357
ST Crew #28
Old 12-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
fwdsvtowner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15906
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT 3dr EAP

FF Reputation: 1 fwdsvtowner Good Standing Member
the Saturn lineup is starting to look pretty good (never thought I'd say that!!). since Ford is killing it's hatchbacks, this new Opel (er... Saturn) is one of the best looking hatchback design's of recent times.

the only reservation I have is that this car will probably get the corporate Ecotec engine (which I haven't been impressed with)...
Build #1111
Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
delglenn
here and there

Fan#: 433
What I Drive: 2006 Sonic Blue ZX5, fully loaded.

FF Reputation: 4 delglenn Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGray View Post

I'm beginning to think no one at Ford CAN read.
Randomie's Lover #2
Old 12-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
zal
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28635
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 1 zal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwdsvtowner View Post
the Saturn lineup is starting to look pretty good (never thought I'd say that!!). since Ford is killing it's hatchbacks, this new Opel (er... Saturn) is one of the best looking hatchback design's of recent times.

the only reservation I have is that this car will probably get the corporate Ecotec engine (which I haven't been impressed with)...

don't doubt those little ecotecs, the aftermarket is developing some pretty mean ones, i've heard power as high 500 hp reliably coming out of these engines
MacBook 2.0 Black
"The Focus looks kinda like a retarded shark with wheels"
Old 12-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #8
fwdsvtowner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15906
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT 3dr EAP

FF Reputation: 1 fwdsvtowner Good Standing Member
^
oh, I have no doubt those engines can make power (any engine should be able to with modification)... but I'd prefer it to be exceptional to begin with. the SS's supercharged 2L makes decent power and will get you goin fast enough, but will it be enjoyable? the Ecotec's have a reputation for being thrashy and slow to rev... I guess I'm picky, my SHO and two SVT's may not have been perfect or the most powerful, but they've always been enjoyable to drive, listen to, etc.
Build #1111
Old 12-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 25,851, Level 96
Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
since i saw the first pics of the sky, i have become very interested in saturn, they are doing a great job and are on such a good track. The astra will only add to this. Check out this top gear vid...not a bad track time if you ask me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKfrdeJiOGw

And a video that everyone would like to see.
FOCUS ST VS ASTRA OPC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a7dsHT8JYo
Old 12-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
Bar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34266
What I Drive: 2006 green zx4

FF Reputation: -7 Bar Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Opel is a fine quality car. I had a '74 Opel station wagon. I'd have kept it, but you couldn't get parts for them after GM stopped importing them. I don't understand why GM doesn't just bring back Opel dealerships to the states. They could take market share from Toyota and Honda.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.