Snow - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2006, 05:37 AM   #1
homeboyjames
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35230
What I Drive: 07 Black ST Check profile for mods

FF Reputation: 6 homeboyjames Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Snow

I went to leave for work this morning and had never driven a focus in the snow. I have a ZX4 and my current rental car is a ZX5 so there prolly the same thing in the snow, I am used to driving a ABS equipped car in the snow i know its nothing diffrent but this morning it was harder than hell i had to turn around the snow was just falling to fast to even see and the wipers suck on the rental and everytime you tap the brakes you just slid. I hope to god for some reason my zx4 doesent do this all winter cause I will be forced to get another car because my driving is far for work and they dont mind since im a temp if i call off but to many call of specally when it snows they will be mad.. is there anything i can do to get my car to drive better if it sucks int he snow. Prolly some front snow tires and such.

-=ST CREW #61=-
-=SEDAN REVOLUTION #77=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 06:08 AM   #2
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
If you're going to put snow tires on a front wheel drive you should put them on all four wheels, unless you like watching the back end trying to pass the front when you stop
Old 12-05-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
homeboyjames
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35230
What I Drive: 07 Black ST Check profile for mods

FF Reputation: 6 homeboyjames Good Standing Member
we ll t he rental already does that since the back is bald almost
-=ST CREW #61=-
-=SEDAN REVOLUTION #77=-
Old 12-05-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
Pintozx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15214
What I Drive: 01 PWSC ZX3 & 03 ZX3 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Pintozx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
hammer down for the snow drifts....

Like stated above Snow tires are the best mod for the winter. I would never drive with out them in the snow.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
babyface
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29791
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 ST, '06 Escape, '87 911 Cab

FF Reputation: 5 babyface Good Standing Member
snow tire obviously, but the biggest mod for snow is......ur driving style.

i'm not saying urs is wrong, but i hd to learn the hard way (stuffed my ST 6 ft deep into a 10ft snowdrift)

smoothness is so incredibly important in snowy/icy conditions. I for instance have better brakes than you, but i have yet to slide when applying the brakes. I'm also running bald tires in the rear (sucks for corners) and stock P6's in the front.

i cannot stress the importance of smoothness. roll onto the throttle, as if theres an egg between ur foot and the pedal. same with the brakes.

and steer very lightly nd grdually, otherwise you could be at full lock, and nothing happens.

talk to ppl like FocusInAlaska, he cn probbly give u some tips.
ST Crew #1

Current Mods: Silverstars, iPad radio/navigation, center muffler delete, Hella 700FF driving lights, brakes, Red/White footwell LED's, lock-switch lights, Tigger doll from GF
Old 12-05-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
A good first step is to find a large unplowed parking lot and see how the car reacts. They all seem to act a bit differently, and you need to know what to expect. Do it with the rental, and then do it again when you get your car back, you may find a difference with the brakes or the tires, or both. Purposely provoke skids (in the parking lot!), steer and brake too fast, then do it again with the smoothness mentioned above. Find the breaking points.
Then the obvious stuff for driving, leave lots of room (amazing how many people tailgate in snowstorms!), and especially watch your speed! FWD's have great traction and I have to watch a tendency to be going faster than I should, and that's the quickest way to get in trouble.
I've found that when things get squirrely the best thing to do is kick the car out of gear so that all the wheels are turning the same speed (otherwise you're trying to drive a sled). Others on the list will tell you to accelerate out of a skid, find out what works for you...

For the car, I've seen "radial chains" ("chains" made of light steel cable) but never owned any. They should only be driven on snow covered road and only below a certain speed. They good be a good investment for emergency situations.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
TimHickey
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38341
What I Drive: 2006 Black zx5 ses

FF Reputation: 16 TimHickey Great Standing Member
I have the canadian winter experience and this is my first winter with the focus we got a snow storm yesterday and I find the zx5 handles like a tank I purposely tested it out in the parking lot like mentioned above and it hardly moves all I have is stock p6's ! If I had winter tires I think id be unstoppable lol the fact that I have traction control and abs prolly helps tho! plus im used to the snow ive done so many donuts trying to straighten out on bad roads that im used to it now.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
06ST_Germany
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38149
What I Drive: 2007 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 06ST_Germany Good Standing Member
The snow you guys got was just a freak storm, was it not? Or is it common?

If it's common, get good snow tires and drive slowly for the conditions. Keep a large following distance. Sounds pretty elementary but its the most common mistakes.

In the end, its your common sense that prevails - is it worth going to work today? Can I make it home?

Tom
One of only a handful in Germany!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
Silas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37971
What I Drive: 2000 Silver LX

FF Reputation: 4 Silas Good Standing Member
the only thing i'll say is...

get winter tires!

and my focus ain't too bad in the snow either! surprisingly!

SEDAN REVOLUTION #14
Old 12-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
SVT Robzor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
+1 for winter tires. Driving style and skill can make the most of what traction there is, and if you're good enough at it, there is enough usable traction on almost any set of tires for safe driving in most conditions.

But more traction is always better. It also helps when you're not the limiting factor, like when the dude pulls out in front of you. All the skill in the world won't perform a quick stop in standing snow on bald tires, but a good set of snow will sure the hell help.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->