Help with my moms taurus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-14-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
edmhatch
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39925
What I Drive: Black on black

FF Reputation: 5 edmhatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Help with my moms taurus

my mom came home from work today and said something is wrong with her car. she said around low speed it sounds like the tire is rubbing on something. I say alright let me drive it and ill tell you what i think. i get out on the road. 25mph slowing down to 20-15mph sounds like bump-bump-bump-bump from one of the rear wheels. I say ah theres that sound, maybe a busted sidewall . So i get on the main street and accelerate hard to 40mph. I found another sound. When i let off the gas after hard acceleration, and the ATX shifts up, it makes a cheeeeech sound. maybe a motor mount? Around 40mph it sounds like WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, loud. So maybe she needs a tire rotation and balancing? I dont know, someone help. Thanks

<LOTH #23>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2007, 02:33 AM   #2
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
wheel bearing?
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 04-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
02ZX3inPA
Wrenchin' aussie pos

Fan#: 45346
What I Drive: The Blue Devil

FF Reputation: 40 02ZX3inPA Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
From noises we can get a few ideas, but anything is a shot in the dark at this point until the vehicle is looked over. Have a few questions for you too...

What year Taurus, engine size, mileage?

Did the noises mentioned gradually get louder or did the noises just start all of a sudden? If the wheee at 40mph was something that gradually got louder, I'd suspect an alignment issue and suggest a 4-wheel alignment.

Things to look at (remember, this is a shot in the dark):
Rear brakes, rear suspension (broken or worn parts?), tire wear and inflation pressure (all 4 tires), check condition of the rims, sidewalls, and tread of the tires too. (any lumps, cupping, dents, ect?)

If the CHEECH sound is a motor or trans mount, you should be able to reproduce this by loading and unloading the driveline. (start car, put foot on brake, hold brake, put car in drive, tap the gas pedal... did you hear the noise again?)

Try to look it over and let us know what you find.
ZC #154..Focus Nation..
Old 04-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
cheech sound could be a belt worn out?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
iantm
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4167
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3 SE MTX

FF Reputation: 3 iantm Good Standing Member
Depending on if it has rear disc brakes (a fair number of the post 96 models do), the issue may be there. I had a similar issue with my wife's Malibu two weeks ago - one of the brake caliper retaining bolts went missing so the caliper was moving.
MacBook Pro 15"
Old 04-15-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Fender
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 45712
What I Drive: 1995 Metallic Dark Red Sable

FF Reputation: 1 Fender Good Standing Member
I agree with the post up. I had this sound (well the first one) occur this winter on my 95 Sable ( i also own a 97 Sable so i can relate with both generations cause i've had these cars in the shop a few times). When i was at low speed or slowing down and entering the 20 mph, i'd get this weird noise. I could feel it slightly throughout the car, but it didn't really stop me from slowing down, so the problem seem misleading. Well i had to get one of my drums replaced and apparently (i believe) my caliper was loose. As far as the transmission goes, the ATX on these car not the greatest and well tend to shift up or down when you changed your mind about slowing down or accelerating. If it ages and meets the slightest problem, your engine starts flipping out and makes loud noises or weird sounds. Mine used to slam everytime it shift. I press on the gas and i'd hear goes in gear and the first gear would always go "TOCK" and the car would kinda stop like i hit something and start again.

Good luck with the problem. Hope this helps

Fender
Old 04-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by honhon View Post
cheech sound could be a belt worn out?
And a Chong sound would be a smoking belt

"Yeah, it's Maui Wowie and some Labrador, my dog ate it and I followed him around for a week with a baggie"

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
edmhatch
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39925
What I Drive: Black on black

FF Reputation: 5 edmhatch Good Standing Member
its an 04 taurus i think, and it has the 3.8 v6 24v DOHC motor. pretty low miles and she never beats it or ever gets on it
<LOTH #23>
Old 04-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
Fender
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 45712
What I Drive: 1995 Metallic Dark Red Sable

FF Reputation: 1 Fender Good Standing Member
I have no experience with that generation. I've driven it once and wasn't really impressed - but i had a low trim level one anyways. Anyways, hope you find a solution to your problems ;).

Taurus are usually quite reliable - well compared to cheaper builds like contours and probes which were generally badly designed. And the Cougar, despite it being a nice car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks